American vs European Hunters.

dont the americans class hunting, as hiding behind some hay bales ,wearing orange jackets ,while someone releases a deer about 30 feet away so they can shoot it :laugh:

Thats what I was trying to get at, just without saying it.The video in my signature in of Kristoffer Clausen. I think he is a good Hunter. :thumbs:

Edited by rizzini

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't the Brits classify hunting as shooting rats with a bb gun? An activity that most American boys stop at about age 10 - 12? :laugh:;)

I think you're painting with a mighty broad brush rizzini. I won't deny that there're people on this side of the pond that practice what most of us would consider unsportsmanlike conduct while hunting. I've never been to your fair country, but I'd imagine there're probably a few on your side that could be said the same of as well.

IMO sportsmen are sportsmen regardless of where they live. And outlaws and rogues are outlaws and rogues no matter where they're from as well. There may be differences in what we hunt and how we hunt it, and local traditions and practices play a big part in what we do, but it wouldn't take anyone too long in the other's environment to quickly recognize what is fair hunting and what isn't.

No hard feelings on my side. :drinks: Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Even when it's wrong. :haha:;)

Guest Leveller

In English usage the verb ‘to hunt’ describes four quite different activities. Used intransitively, as in ‘Fred hunts’, or 'John hunts with the Old Berkshire’, it describes what we hunt followers do. We follow packs of hounds as they comb the open countryside in search of a scent.

The verb is also used with a direct object, in two ways. First it is used to describe what the huntsman does—as in ‘Levs hunts hounds’, or ‘Levs has hunted hounds all his life’. This describes a highly technical activity, which most of us know from observation and a few from direct experience. It consists of controlling hounds as they search for a scent, and ensuring that, when they are on the scent, they remain under control. It involves encouraging them when the scent is weak or failing, casting them when the scent expires, and also guiding them in much the way that you guide your dog when you take him for a walk in open country.

There is another transitive use of the verb, however, which does correspond to the activity supposedly forbidden by the hunting act, and that is its use to describe what is done by the hounds, as when we describe a pack as ‘hunting a fox’, or ‘hunting a stag’. Strictly speaking, of course, hounds hunt ‘along a scent line’, which may or may not lead them to a fox or a hare or a stag. But, within the bounds of permitted usage, they can also be described as hunting the quarry itself.

Lastly there is a use of the verb with an indirect object, as when we describe a cat as ‘hunting for mice’. This too is something that may be done by packs of hounds, and indeed it is what they are doing most of the time when out hunting: they are hunting for a scent, which means they are attentively sniffing their way from covert to covert and from hedgerow to hedgerow, ready to give cry when the right kind of odour hits their noses.

American usage the verb ‘to hunt’ is used transitively of humans in the same way that it is used of predator animals. Americans hunt deer, rabbits, raccoons and so on with guns. They go after their quarry as dogs or cats do, with the intention to kill. In English usage, however, this would not be called hunting. So therefore through the correct terms in our english language americans must be better hunters than us but it doesn't make them better shots :victory:

Who would you say are the most skilled most Ethical Hunters? The Americans or Europeans?

Sounds like a Guevara question to me... :hmm:

What other screenames are you using?

:thumbs:

Don't the Brits classify hunting as shooting rats with a bb gun? An activity that most American boys stop at about age 10 - 12? :laugh:;)

well .........if they cant get the hang of it by then, they never will :thumbs: