War on magpies!!

I agree with the jay post, very pretty and do far less damage than a magpie. Although we have 5 nesting pairs here (jays) so am happy to take the odd one for fly tying purposes.

Magpies should be terminated with extreme prejudice.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man you have no idea how I dislike MAGPIES, had been causing havoc in my garden until I could take no more here is a picture for you persual. You can look up my thread on magpies if you wish.

Best of Luck and don't give up.

post-13875-1217200015.jpg

:big_boss::clapper:

Knifebar

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hyperion

to quote the late great j.d "magpies are my favourite corpse"! i reckon the rise in numbers is dude to them breeding in towns more and more as well as so called bird and wildlife reserves where there is no form of control! the woman next door to me asked me to stop using my air rifle in the back garden recently as she is a conservationist and ecomental! to keep the peace i havent used my rifle at home all summer and last week i was speaking to her and she said how nice it was to have those beautiful black and white birds back in her garden but that she hasnt seen as many blue tits and other small birds this year! i just smiled and went back to building my larsen trap! :whistling:

We have just put four goats on out small holding and the magpies are coming in for the food and insects around the goats. The kids have made a den in one of the bushes so I will be using it as a hide to nail the ba5t4rds, there are hundreds around here and very few songbirds. We have hundreds of frogs, toads and slow worms in the field so I will be saving them too.

Jon

Guest JohnGalway

It's getting away from the section subject but I've just recently started using larsen traps to nail the buggers as well as shooting them whenever I get the oppertunity, the traps - once you have a callbird - are amazingly effective if you're really on a mission to stop the chattering little scrotes it's worth while looking into trapping too ;)

Definately shoot ten a week, trap another ten too ;)

Got to agree myself with you guys I've been clearing the magpies out for a week or so now and so far they've not come back :gunsmilie:

I now wake up in the morning and hear only song birds cherping happily instead of magpies and crows cackling and squawking ;) Here's the thread showing how it was done with some good photography of the vermin to give you the full picture. click here>> http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index...showtopic=60958

the wood i shot em in had nt been shot in ever. and has the biggest gathering of magpies, crow's , jackdaws and woodpigeon's i have ever seen. in late winter there is thousand's roosting in it. i reckon it must be one of the biggest winter roosting sites in the north east . the noise they make is unbelievable. i shot in one evening last year 53 woodpigeon's ,8 magpies,4 jackdaw's and 6 crow's. :gunsmilie: i dont shoot it much as i think overshooting it would make the bird's more wary. we normaly shoot it on a breezy late winter evening with plenty of low cloud so the bird's sillohouette better against the night sky. if you can find a big winter roosting site like this . you can shoot more bird's in one evening than most people shoot in a year. :victory: