hobs for working advice please

hi i just had a litter of one jill and two hobs.i have two adult jills also.i am going to keep the jill kit but was wondering if the hob kits would be worth keeping for working? are they as good for working as jills? can the males live together with the jills happily year round?thanks!

hi i just had a litter of one jill and two hobs.i have two adult jills also.i am going to keep the jill kit but was wondering if the hob kits would be worth keeping for working? are they as good for working as jills? can the males live together with the jills happily year round?thanks!

hi to me its a personal prefrence about hobs cos i think that once they corner a rabbit they wont be able to get past them depending how big they are the thing is a hob will work all day some people swear by them but ive been with a mate with a hob and did a lot of digging as for keeping together they will be fine but you will need another cage to put them in when the jills come into season or you,ll have a lot of kits hope this helps :victory::clapper:

l

well, if you dont have an adult hob, it would be a good idea to keep one and have him vasectamised, thus giving you the option of bringing your jills out of season, rather than just constantly breeding jills each season, therefore, you may as well keep both the hobs, maybe get the other castrated, come next year you can keep the two brothers seperate from the jills untill needed, yes they will shag each other, but you can keep and eye on them an split them if needed, I have 3 hobs that live together fine

as for using them for ferreting, sometimes when out at a warren, using jills alone your get rabbits that wont bolt, thats the time to send in the "big boys" they will get the rabbits bolting, digging is part and parcel of ferreting

My team is 2 poley jills and 2 neutered sandy hobs. The two hobs are just a little bit bigger than the jills so their size doesn't cause any problems and I actually prefer to use the two hobs as they don't lay up like one of the jill's does.

Guest silenthunter

i work my hobs as well as my jill always put my jill down first and [bANNED TEXT] theres nothing else bolting then i put my hobs down to dig to the cornered bunnys hobs are ok working but only really use mine as a clean up what me jill dont bolt another thing jills past through the nets hobs tend to pull the net down the holes but brill [bANNED TEXT] workin them freely along a big hedge with longnets letting them go down holes on there own finding the bunnys but yeah i would say hobs are good at working just as well as jills happyhunting silenthunter...