The British Deer Society

Some good replys to your question C, and to be honest none of them surprise me mate..........just my own personal experience is that all these shooting type clubs look down on the next bloke over here mate.

There really is a lot of snobbery (well that how I percieve it anyway) in shooting circles, shooters look down on dog lads etc...........fecking snobs one and all, on shoot days its all "Hello Charles, pass the sloe gin old boy", if you get chatting to these blokes and tell them you keep dogs its "Oh, oh right!!" :D

It seem different for you blokes over there mate, your all just blokes that hunt, seems very little snobbery.

One of the replys on here seems to highlite what I have said, reading between the lines, the bloke who was going on about deer poaching on Exmoore would be more than happy to see some dog lads in court.

They dont mind eating it though.......lol :yes:

The ONLY organisation I would give money to is the NGO, not because they are on ordinary lads side but just because they talk sense.

Most proper lads I know have forgotten more than most of these "club" type blokes will ever know.

Hello peeps.

I was a member of BDS.

Unfortunately i found a lot of snobs,brown nosers and lardydars.

Some commitee members went against the rules and used their possitions to gain stalking and then kept it for themselves and then charged beginners a fee to go stalking.

When it came meetings and dinners it was all swank and posn nosh.

Some good chaps off farms etc but also twats on the make.

Newsletters dried-up and i received no range dates and later found out there had been an enquiry into the activeties of certain individuels.

I always found staff at headquarters polite and helpful.

If anyone joins i hope they fit-in better than i did and good luck to them.

Bryan.

Some commitee members went against the rules and used their possitions to gain stalking and then kept it for themselves and then charged beginners a fee to go stalking.

Some good chaps off farms etc but also twats on the make.

Bryan.

Yes Wilf, we don't have the snobbery type thing over here with all the landed gentry types as it just wouldn't wash, someone taking this attitude towards others would find themselves getting a hiding real quick and told to f#ck off, and just wouldn't get invites, but we still have the wankers that will do anything to suit their own means, just exactly as Bryan has pointed out, this type of thing goes on here, when the orgs start out they are well meaning, but once a little success is gained and they get someones ear, it is f#ck the rest of ya's, I'm in it for myself.

A mate of mine has just been appointed to a fairly important position in a large deer hunting organisation and the heirachy expected him to toe the line with their ideas, but he only went for the position so he could stick it to all the 'oldboys', hell he's caused a stir, but stood his ground and now they are apologising to him for their attitudes, so hopefully he will bring it all back down to grass roots level.

I honestly wanted to buy the books from BDS even though I thought they were probably the same as most other self serving orgs of the like, great for you lads to give me the heads up, the amusing thing was, when people started answering this thread on THL I got a reply from BDS.

Thanks again everyone that answered my question. :victory:

Guest Deerstalker

So if you don't use the BDS and want to get some stalking from britain's largest landowner (the public's own FC ) How can this be done. The BDS is a money machine and not only that they have with the backing of basc created a monopoly and are now moving into the trophy measureing busness and that will earn them more cash. This will fund more ground for the top notch .

Something should be done to stop this so called charity from taking over stalking completely and its nearly to late. :censored:

Some good replys to your question C, and to be honest none of them surprise me mate..........just my own personal experience is that all these shooting type clubs look down on the next bloke over here mate.

There really is a lot of snobbery (well that how I percieve it anyway) in shooting circles, shooters look down on dog lads etc...........fecking snobs one and all, on shoot days its all "Hello Charles, pass the sloe gin old boy", if you get chatting to these blokes and tell them you keep dogs its "Oh, oh right!!" :D It seem different for you blokes over there mate, your all just blokes that hunt, seems very little snobbery.

One of the replys on here seems to highlite what I have said, reading between the lines, the bloke who was going on about deer poaching on Exmoore would be more than happy to see some dog lads in court.

They dont mind eating it though.......lol :yes:

The ONLY organisation I would give money to is the NGO, not because they are on ordinary lads side but just because they talk sense.

Most proper lads I know have forgotten more than most of these "club" type blokes will ever know.

Come on Wilf...that is a very narrow view of a very small minority! (although I do accept it does unfortunately happen). I am a shooter....end of... but I do not stand around with a Purdey waiting for someone to scare a captive bread Pheasant into the sky....I have no interest, and see no pleasure in that at all, but I do accept there is a market for this type of shooting and it helps support the industry.

I take the Piss relentlessley out of the Ferret and Dog boys...because I can, I have several mates who I call on when I need a hand with dogs and ferrets, and they take the piss out of us shooters as well. We have a great laugh, we make a cracking team and therefore we can, we all understand there are advantages to all the methods. :thumbs:

I think they are a joke.....an old boys network that use "deer welfare" to line their own pockets. I do not think they are particularly knowledgeable, in fact, some are just idiots that have only been "into" deer a very short time .they join the BDS, speak posh and sudden;ly they are experts.lol.lol

i have met the sort before.....lol.....several times......lol......quite funny isnt it...lol......

Guest Deerstalker

J DARCY i feel it might be funny to some but to others it is quite scary. For me who lives and breaths deerstalking i see it as a major blockage to the young lads who want to get into this fantastic sport. Can any imagine how it would feel if some one said you cant have a dog till you do a test and the test will be run with chaps who have little knowlage of dogs but have lots of cash.

Please don't get me started on this one. :whistling:

I belong to the Brit Deer Soc. They are indeed a charity that promotes the welfare of our 5 species of deer.

I took issue last year with them over their seemingly intransigence over the plight of deer on Exmoor with regard to poaching on a large scale. This matter I raised at a local branch meeting and all my correspondence to their head office went unanswered leaving me with the opinion that the organization existed to raise money to finance the pay of the directors and the original purpose of deer welfare had been lost

To be fair to them they have since made an attempt to highlight poaching in their quarterly magazine, but they don't seem to want to communicate with individual members

Peter

Dicehorn

Help me out with these 5 Deer species, I'm confused as we have at least 6 in the wild! There are suggestions of other small populations of escapees as well ......

So which 5 do the BDS promote the welfare of???

Sorry Deks slip of the finger - tis 6 not counting also the red/sika hybrids

Peter

I belong to the Brit Deer Soc. They are indeed a charity that promotes the welfare of our 5 species of deer.

I took issue last year with them over their seemingly intransigence over the plight of deer on Exmoor with regard to poaching on a large scale. This matter I raised at a local branch meeting and all my correspondence to their head office went unanswered leaving me with the opinion that the organization existed to raise money to finance the pay of the directors and the original purpose of deer welfare had been lost

To be fair to them they have since made an attempt to highlight poaching in their quarterly magazine, but they don't seem to want to communicate with individual members

Peter

Dicehorn

Help me out with these 5 Deer species, I'm confused as we have at least 6 in the wild! There are suggestions of other small populations of escapees as well ......

So which 5 do the BDS promote the welfare of???

Sorry Deks slip of the finger - tis 6 not counting also the red/sika hybrids

Peter

:thumbs::thumbs:

Guest david1976

Phoned the BDS to buy the richard prior deer calling cd and they wanted just under £14 for it to be delivered which i thought was a bit on the steep side. Contacted countryside audio and video and bought it direct and it only cost me £8.50 including postage and packaging.

I would like to help charities out if possible however i am not prepared to pay an extra 1/3 onto the cost of things - BDS you are too greedy!

Red

Fallow

Roe

Munty

Chinese w/deer

Sika =6

Red/sika cross? :hmm:

Yeh the 6 you have are correct but the red/sika hybrids are just vermin & should have no season on sex through the hind/doe season of other species.

As for deer management/numbers game at a high level is not for the faint hearted.