vicous kitts

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

feed meat 4 times a day mince is ok but there not having to put much effert into eating it as its already broken down , they would have to work harder eating rabbit or any other whole prey & dont seem as satisfied after eating as they do when they have had to work at ripping the flesh of the bones

thanks alot, i'll start feeding them 4 times a day :gunsmilie:

feed meat 4 times a day mince is ok but there not having to put much effert into eating it as its already broken down , they would have to work harder eating rabbit or any other whole prey & dont seem as satisfied after eating as they do when they have had to work at ripping the flesh of the bones

thanks alot, i'll start feeding them 4 times a day :gunsmilie:

as a rough guide feed often & just see if theres a tiny bit left after each feed, if there wolfing every last mouthfull next meal add a litttle bit more untill you find a small amount left , that way you know theres enough to go round the litter :thumbs:

sorry about that i forgot, They are 5 weeks today and there fed turkey mince becuase there isnt many rabbits on our fields at the moment. I was feeding them chicken thighs but turkey is near enough the same. There are 8 kits

Where are you getting the turkey mince from? Is it for human consumption, or pet mince from a pet shop?

The reason I'm asking is that 'human' mince won't have any bone in, so will be deficient in calcium. If they're not eating the dry ferret food, and not suckling much from mum, they'll not be getting enough calcium, and you could end up with weak bones/walking problems.

Not a good idea to feed lots of muscle meat alone. Have you tried softening the dry food with a little warm water? If it's soft they should eat it fine. Perhaps two bowls of dried food, one dry for mum, and the other softened for the kits, just until they can mange the dry stuff on their own :thumbs:

sorry about that i forgot, They are 5 weeks today and there fed turkey mince becuase there isnt many rabbits on our fields at the moment. I was feeding them chicken thighs but turkey is near enough the same. There are 8 kits

Where are you getting the turkey mince from? Is it for human consumption, or pet mince from a pet shop?

The reason I'm asking is that 'human' mince won't have any bone in, so will be deficient in calcium. If they're not eating the dry ferret food, and not suckling much from mum, they'll not be getting enough calcium, and you could end up with weak bones/walking problems.

Not a good idea to feed lots of muscle meat alone. Have you tried softening the dry food with a little warm water? If it's soft they should eat it fine. Perhaps two bowls of dried food, one dry for mum, and the other softened for the kits, just until they can mange the dry stuff on their own :thumbs:

Good point about the mince carol

I've not been able to get hold of any rabbit unfortunately, but I've been feeding a mix of chicken wings and whole chicken broken into bits (bones included), mince and various offal. I leave kibble down all the time and the kits can manage it now. They're six weeks tomorrow.

I usual handle after feeding. Today some people came over to look at the kits and they arrived before I'd fed them and they were so nippy compared with usual! Fortunately they were experience ferret owners and it didn't worry them.

Why do you want to be feeding kitts 3/4 times a day if there away from the jill treat them the same as adults feeding them once a day and get them into the same routine

Why do you want to be feeding kitts 3/4 times a day if there away from the jill treat them the same as adults feeding them once a day and get them into the same routine

I have to admit, Im with "the one" on this, feeding meat 3 to 4 times a day is going to get them flies buzzing, I suppose those that are home all day can manage it, even though Im home (night worker) I would'ent, they have dry in the cage/court all the time, and get rabbit at night, or are we saying, in the wild state, a mother whatever would feed them 3 to 4 meals daily, dont think so

kits need meat alot more than adults, i feed kits 3 times a day and have dry down all the time

well you simply remove any left overs 4 times a day , pups kennelled outdoors would surely get more than one meal a day wouldnt they , :hmm:

Never had a problem with fly strike here in the past when feeding kits the foods not left in the dish long enough , and you just look for any hidden bits

I wouldnt treat a kit of 7 8 or 9 weeks old as an adult , its still growing ,

Fine if your on the dole popping out a feeding ferrets four times a day me i like the simple things feed the ferrets at 9 pmish pop a rabbit in each hutch and they have all night to full themselves up ,remove the crap in the morning and thats the job done . I dont feed any dry crap and dont honestly think i ever will tried it one year and it was all over the floor and stayed there i dont think any of them ate it

Since when has ferret keeping been about the keeper, if you cant do whats right dont bother is the answer keep summat else , not everyone using the pc in day is on the dole, whats your excuse :whistling:

What has that got to do with anything ? would you eat only 1 meal a day ? there babys they need more than 1 meal a day

I have reared hundreds of kits over the last 14 yrs

Im no talking about baby's im talking about ferret kitts and if they have been weaned from the jill there 10 /12 weeks of age and can be treated as a adult