is my ferret ready 2 hunt at 3 months

Guest wildogman

Aye to young 3months old twelve weeks :no: .Get a bit of pipe and let her play in that and get her bomb proof at the end of the season give her a look and any rabbits thats been bolted and missed should bolt easier when they smell the ferret . rember its what you put in whilst shes young that you will reap back later in her working life

Guest The Hob

What does a youg ferret in the wild think when its fending for itself, "I cant go down there Im not old enough, there might be a big buck that could kick the shit out of me. I'd better not go down even though I could starve to death". Yeah right, Young ferrets Ive had Ive used before 3 months old and never had a problem with them bolting rabbits, But its up to you what you do :):)

Guest The Hob

Alright lads thought I might stir something up, was in a sarcastic mood earlier :whistle: :whistle: :D , yeah your right entering them to young can ruin them. You never know whats down them holes ;);) . Happy Hunting Lads. :good::good:

Guest wildogman

thx for them replys all my ferret is around full size and it can ffffing bite me a odd time pritty hard and in the local paper two day thers been a meeting in local town that some big farms are having trouble [bANNED TEXT] rabbits i may go and try her out see how it go's i am liveing in austraila now im from uk did a lot of ferreting ages ago havent done it here. i'll post back and see how it go's thx all :good:

we dont have stoats, nor do we have any problems with rats here, i took mine out not long after 3 months old, she didnt show much to start with, and now i think about it I believe your better waiting a bit longer

as has been said, get her into pipes, feed her rabbit with teh skin on etc to get her used to teh smell, mine switched on after eating a bucks nuts(boy rabbit for you young folk lol ) then i put her down a fresh warren and she went nuts, 15 min earlier she'd been down 2 warrens with rabbits and had just gone in and come out of other holes

since then she basically stays down until she either kills or bolts them, then comes out. I know if shes working or not, if she goes from one hole to antother then theres nothing home.

where abouts in Oz u from mate?

I probably worked my Hob around 3-4 months old, but now i see how big my Jill is at 3-4 months, i am quite reluctant due to the size factor. I have been giving her a run through some pipes, and even cleared out a warren with my Hob and let her have a play with a collar on so i know where abouts she is.

I still think she is abit young to work a warren by herself, Because i have a good working Hob Im not impatient with the Jill. I will take my time, and if i need to work a warren i just use my Hob. I think i will give the Jill another month.

She will be right, I have ran her down the pipe with some rabbit kits she bolts them well. Atleast a kick from one of these wont be serious.

i have a 3 month year old jill and she's just about fully grown is she ready 2 go down holes yet anyone ? :good::rolleyes:

thx for them replys all my ferret is around full size and it can ffffing bite me a odd time pritty hard and in the local paper two day thers been a meeting in local town that some big farms are having trouble [bANNED TEXT] rabbits i may go and try her out see how it go's i am liveing in austraila now im from uk did a lot of ferreting ages ago havent done it here. i'll post back and see how it go's thx all :good:

Looks like you didn't get the reply you were after then :whistle:.....why ask the question in the 1st place :realmad: :realmad: ..I'll say no more :angry:

u might not get rats or stoats but i bed u get snake an big hairy spiders?

yes we get snakes and big spiders, ive only seen one snake go into a warren, and for some bloody reason its the same warren i tried digging to and stuck my hand down, i have no idea what i was thinking lol

snakes and spiders will kill a ferret no matter how big it is, weve some of the worst spiders and snakes in the world here, as some of u may know everything here bites, stings or pisses on you haha

Guest wildogman

whent out this moring try the ferret 3 months old whent very good i think.we had 4 and 6 lost lol my bad on rail way track i havent seen as many holes in my life millions of them any way we netted a 10 holer but couldent be arsed getting brambles in one part so mist some ther we got 2 and 4 lost then netted a 6 holer got a nouther 2 and 2 lost fist day in a long time carnt complain we got there a lil bit late it got red hot and we was buggerd so we pist off early so im off bk there in moring and get some more this area we are in is over run try get there about half 6ish and see how we go hope pics work havent posted any yet :good:

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/927/ferret0311na.jpg

Guest wildogman

i whent two aberdeen today on railway track plenty there we walked down wrong way and most of the rabbits was grazeing and bolted across feild into some houses gardens lol but still got 2 and mist 2 l o l how old are ya mitch :good:

Im 18, I have noticed alot of Rabbits like digging in around the railway tracks. Their is a really good area 10 mins away from me with rabbits. However they have decided to live in the black berries. Are there holes under the black berries? or do they just live in them