clipping stripping?

Guest jrt

have alook at my dog.. what coat has he got? its defo not smooth coat i have always stripped him and his coat never seems to go wirey?

does the coat turn to shit if you clip it or is that just alload of shit will it just grow the same if i clip it? has anyone stripped there dog and then when it came arround to it the next time clipped it? did you notice any difference to the eway it grows back

cheers

the differnce between striping and clipping is as follows stripping you are getting the hair from the root which takes longer to grow back!!and is replaced with a fresh healthy root!1 in your case your dog has a half broken coat which wont get wirey not like a wire fox terrier/beddy!! and clipping you dont get from the root so tends to grow faster an thicker and eventually b a mess and is not desireble for show will only matter for shows nice dog......slip :thumbs:

Your dog probably has a broken coat. By hand stripping a Terrier you take out only the dead hair, it will then grow a new harsh top coat in a couple months. If you clip it, you do not "remove" the dead roots, you cut them, you also cut into soft undercoat exposing the dog to the weather etc... It will take longer to grow to full length and within a couple times of doing it most dogs grow a thicker, fluffier coat that will be impossible to strip thereafter. Borders that are repeatedly clipped go paler coloured too.

Stripping is done to keep the coat at its best.....it takes out the dead hair and allows a new harsh/wirey top coat to re-grow.........Stripping should be done every 6mths as a minimum can go longer if you want...........Clipping does ruin a wirey coat as once clipped the coat becomes softer and fluffier and therefor unstrippable iti snt bad for the dog itself and unless you want to show your dog it doesnt make a great deal of difference what you do.....we have had many working terriers in our salon and the owners want their dogs to be clipped(generally because it is less time consuming then stripping).....You mentioned that your dogs coat never seems to go wirey...has he been castrated? Miss T x

I have never stripped a coat, but clipping them doesn't make the coat soft, at least on mine. I did it twice last year on Briar and Sampson, grew back just as harsh in 2-3 months. Lou, this is her first go round with it, but I suspect the same. No hesistation to shave them again, best thing I've ever done for the dogs, besides hunt the hair off them....

AD Briar before

terriers001.jpg

AD Briar after

briarshaved2.jpg

briarshaved.jpg

Lou before

terriers019.jpg

Lou after

loushaved.jpg

loushaved2.jpg

Sampson before

terriers037.jpg

Lou on left, Sampson on right after

louandsampsonshaved2.jpg

louandsampsonshaved.jpg

There are always some exceptions to clipping where the coat will re-grow just as harsh as before it was clipped but that could be because youonly clip them twice a year the dogs we get in thee salon the owners want them done eery 10-12weeks so generally it does tend to ruin the coat.....and you may find that over the years your dogs coat will become softer to...but fair play rolly your lot are cracking looking dogs.....beautiful

atb Miss T x

Hahaha Cheers.

miss T i probably gave the wrong impression there, his coat isnt soft by any means, but it isnt wirey either.. he is 21 months. i would guess ive stripped him in all about 5-6 times but never left it as long as 6months so i will do that, maybe its down to me doin it to early and catching new hairs?

I do mine once in early June and once in late August just to keep them cool. But it may have to grow back harsh because we get to -45F in the winter, and THAT, makes my hair course!!

Thanks for the kind words. I think these are my ugly dogs, you should see the crackers! :drinks: