Leaving fox alone on purpose

I've only ever met one landowner who wanted foxes culled on sight, and he raised birds.

All others managed foxes with a very light touch, and far from being asked to shoot them I was told not to upset the balance by killing them.

Thats certainly the majority view around where I am.

:clapper: Trappa. There's far too many that would have shot the fox to big-up their egos with no thought as to why they've shot it. Why shoot such a lovely animal trying to live out its life, where it's not causing any bother at all? I've had lots of opportunities in the past to do the same but I've always let them go about their business, in fact, it's interesting watching them mooching about.

Totally agree, beautiful animal to watch, if it was causing a problem then take it out, otherwise enjoy it.

Guest basil46

Last year i used a fox to my advantage. I have a permission which is a wheatfield, next to that is a small wood and an orchard which was teaming with rabbits and belonged to a weekend visitor from London. I approached her about ferreting the woods, it was a stern no, she`s a bunny hugger. :wallbash: I had seen a fox mooching in the vicinity often, so i borrowed my mates air rifle for a few weeks. Over a period of time i sat on the edge of my permission on weekday evenings and shot a few rabbits each time, knowing charlie would clear them up overnight and the woman was none the wiser.

Even a fox can be of some use sometimes.

basil.

TRAPPA.on the flip side of your post iv just been on the phone to a keeper mate of mine who is going away tonight[up to scotland for 2 weeks of fishing and :drink: :drink: :drink: the jammy fecker with a keeper mate of his].any way while doing his rounds today he has found some cubs in a small wood where one of his release pens is,so he asked me to go tonight and see what emerges so its out with the nv to ambush them.so off i go at 8.oo when my mate turns up.

Gary, I've done the same twice this spring/summer, and they've had to be removed, that's the deal. However, walking the terrier last week around the plant where I park up, and there were two cubs rolling in the dust, play fighting, about 100yds away. The cctv picked them up too, all FOUR of them running round the area like they owned it! I've found that they're kipping on the motorway embankment during the day, but they're safe for now.

Well two of my landowners want them shot without AFAIK, a particularly good reason. So I shoot them.

You cruel, inhumane, cold, callas, heartless murderer! :gunsmilie:

You'll be telling me you blow up bunnies with your .243 next>>>>>>> :thumbs:

i had a phone call the other evening of a farmer contracter who was out cutting the grass ,he says theres a fox sitting on the edge of the field not more than 20yrds away looking at me do you want to come up and shoot it,i said no im all right im watching the telly ,he gets to within 5yrds of it as he his driving past it are you sure you dont want to come up and kill it ..i said no again, i said just enjoy looking at it ,it not every day you get that close to them ..he said i think i will run it over with the mower :whistling: dont worry it was just talk i think :laugh: now if it had been 200yrds out sniffing around i may have jumped up to have a shoot but 20yrds is just a little too close even for me ,a mate of mine has 4 foxs in the farmers back field that backs on to his house and they have been taking his chickings so theses must go i could shoot them with ease as they lie out in the fild in full view each day(150yrds) lucky for them i dont have the right to shoot on that field or they would be gone by now ..we got stopped early one morning by the police (4.30am),said were you going ,fox shooting ,trying to catch them coming back from a nights hunting ..police woman said kill the lot of them there every were in town,way too many of the buggers :thumbs:

Edited by rob reynolds uk