shooting things in your back garden

Guest olofthegr8

Guest olofthegr8

i was just wondering if it is legal to shoot, crows,pigeons with an airgun in your back garden.

as your back garden is privite property and, as you are allowed shoot targets in your back garden with an airgun i was just wondering about things like pigeons.

Edited by olofthegr8

i think you must be at least 50 yards from a road, and your pellet cannot leave your property.

personally i dont shoot things in my back garden as im unsure of the legallity of it,

but im sure someone will have that right info for you

general licence quarry can only be killed it its causing damage etc...etc.

( see pinned topics at the top of page)

as mark pointed out the pellet CANNOT leave the boundaries of the property.

target shooting is ok because you have to erect a suitable backstop...to catch any stray pellets or any that pass right through your target.

so if your shooting a pigeon thats sat on your fence and miss...........yor pellet leaves your property.............this is a no no.

and as often overlooked and is a must...............INSURANCE!!!!!!.

hope this helps

regards

sean

I agree totally with the above as it is sound advice but what everyone is saying is you have got to be extra carefull when shooting in an enclosed surrounding because although you can see at ground level what's in the crosshairs and the backstops shooting into trees/bushes at elevated heights it very different. It's the "stray" pellets that do the damage if you are shooting into a tree line/hedgerow the skirts a 50 acre empty field sweet but if you are shooting into a tree line/hedgerow that follow's a public right of way or adjacent to other residential properties you are asking for a visit from dibble. I always try to avoid "urban shooting" where possible simply because I don't think it's 100% safe ( my opinion only ) and there's always the possability of that 1 stray pellet or ricchochet but it only takes 1 dose'nt it?????

Stay safe and happy hunting

Coney.

Guest olofthegr8

I agree totally with the above as it is sound advice but what everyone is saying is you have got to be extra carefull when shooting in an enclosed surrounding because although you can see at ground level what's in the crosshairs and the backstops shooting into trees/bushes at elevated heights it very different. It's the "stray" pellets that do the damage if you are shooting into a tree line/hedgerow the skirts a 50 acre empty field sweet but if you are shooting into a tree line/hedgerow that follow's a public right of way or adjacent to other residential properties you are asking for a visit from dibble. I always try to avoid "urban shooting" where possible simply because I don't think it's 100% safe ( my opinion only ) and there's always the possability of that 1 stray pellet or ricchochet but it only takes 1 dose'nt it?????

Coney.

[/quote\]

i have a pellet catcher for targets, but i was woundering if you can shoot quarry in your back garden legaly if it s safe

Edited by olofthegr8

Coney.

i have a pellet catcher for targets, but i was woundering if you can shoot quarry in your back garden legaly if it s safe

I don't think your actually allowed to shoot anything without reason, so as the land owner / tenant you would need to have some reason to 'cull the vermin' Damage to veg? Damage to house? Check out the general licence too.

general licence quarry can only be killed it its causing damage etc...etc.

( see pinned topics at the top of page)

as mark pointed out the pellet CANNOT leave the boundaries of the property.

target shooting is ok because you have to erect a suitable backstop...to catch any stray pellets or any that pass right through your target.

so if your shooting a pigeon thats sat on your fence and miss...........yor pellet leaves your property.............this is a no no.

and as often overlooked and is a must...............INSURANCE!!!!!!.

hope this helps

regards

to protect crops

to protect game and wildlife

to protect public health or safety....................as per general licence

cheers

sean

sean

One of those questions that's been doing the rounds since forums began. :whistling:

olofthegr8, you say in one of your posts that you help do a bit of keeping, why not ask the head keeper what he thinks of shooting stuff in the garden?

Rob.......forever sceptical.

Shooting in your garden is a no-no, unless you have a very big garden, and you have very good reason to rid of vermin,and it's safe! I do a fair bit of air rifle work in heavily populated areas, and the golden rules are; safety, and don't be seen or heard by ANYONE! The mere sight of a gun in these times will have the police on you. Find a club, or a permission and do it there!

its your garden just get down and do what you want mate..

I do lol

Its attitudes like that which get people into serious trouble!!!

And also have a negative impact on the sport!!

Think before you post mate!!!

I hardly think plinking a few shots off in your own garden will land you in trouble...

I have never been in serious trouble ever!!!

And i do ponder a lillte before i post.

If your concerned don't do it but i would... :tongue2:

its your garden just get down and do what you want mate..

I do lol

I dont agree with this comment personally but if that is what you want to do then thats your choice. Just dont offer it as advise to someone else as it could land someone in a world of trouble with the law and that is factual.

I appreciate how fustrating it is being told what we can and cant do and it is a real nightmare finding somewhere to shoot live quarry. I am also very much live and let live but looking at this from a sensible point of view, hunting HAS been banned what next! Shooting - Fishing. I love all three with a passion but in order for us all to protect what we enjoy we have to be seen as responsible without question. This will hopefully ensure that our beloved hobbies and interests will continue to fulfill all our lives without the need to break the law.

Dont get me wrong I am no angel and I do things that are not totally law full but the important difference is that I dont go and tell anyone else to do it!!

I aint knocking your attitude G Just your advertisment of it :hmm:

Edited by Symon