at what age and how do you start a pig pup?

'start' has a few aspects, mate. in most cases the dog is emotionally ready before it is physically ready. remember a dog which is to be heavier as adult can easily become susceptible to arthritis if too much excercise too young. in my opinion, for a bulldog, dogo etc I wouldn't dream of starting them before 10 or 11 months. if the dog you have in mind is a good proportion hound, then maybe 8 or 9 months. not before. any pup that is to work shouldn't be 'beasting' until almost a year old.

that said if you can have a younger pup tag along on a hunt, it does them good to be 'shown the ropes' by a good dog. in the US you drive more about the range so you'll have to just be sensible about the amount of excercise your pup is going to have.

cheers!

'start' has a few aspects, mate. in most cases the dog is emotionally ready before it is physically ready. remember a dog which is to be heavier as adult can easily become susceptible to arthritis if too much excercise too young. in my opinion, for a bulldog, dogo etc I wouldn't dream of starting them before 10 or 11 months. if the dog you have in mind is a good proportion hound, then maybe 8 or 9 months. not before. any pup that is to work shouldn't be 'beasting' until almost a year old.

that said if you can have a younger pup tag along on a hunt, it does them good to be 'shown the ropes' by a good dog. in the US you drive more about the range so you'll have to just be sensible about the amount of excercise your pup is going to have.

cheers!

Have you had much experience with dogos mate?

cheers!

thanks for the info.

i have my eye on training an American Bulldog. i dont have a pup yet(but there will be). i want to have at least some clue before i get in over my head.

my plan is to tag along on some hunts AND let the pup see seasoned dogs in action. just wasnt sure at what age you would or should go about training them.

Have you had much experience with dogos mate?

not a great deal with dogos been out with them on three continents all the same, mate but I have much more experience with alanos. it was my opinion that I posted as I'd certainly rather wait a few months to get a few extra years out of a dog rather than get one out at 6 months for bragging rights. i do have a few friends who breed dogos, Spain, Denmark and US and i've also seen plenty piss-poor examples.

what's your opinion, mate?

Thanks for reply mate. I've seen the vids of them on youtube and they look awesome on the boar in those. I think they are stunning looking dogs. I've heard they can be late developers for hunting. In the shite examples that you have seen were they not game or just crap hunters full stop?

since you say Dogos are late beginners for hunting, whats the general opinion on ABs?

i have heard they are late to mature, but since i've never raised one from a pup (my experience is with my grand parents old dogs. i got mine as adults) never thought to ask how they are when it comes to a first time out hunting.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my young dog pup is coming on a treat , hes just over 8 months old now and has stamina to burn , has lovley strong shape to him and for a heavy young dog hes already jumping 6/7 bar gates ......he just getting th feel for hunting following around my bull terrier in and out bushes and woods and stuff...winston is bringin him on great so i cant really complain bout my dogo

my young dog pup is coming on a treat , hes just over 8 months old now and has stamina to burn , has lovley strong shape to him and for a heavy young dog hes already jumping 6/7 bar gates ......he just getting th feel for hunting following around my bull terrier in and out bushes and woods and stuff...winston is bringin him on great so i cant really complain bout my dogo

thats good to hear :victory: mine are still young, 10 or 11 weeks old roughly...

they have the gumption to go after anything, but i dont want to let them get too bold.... one bad move at this age and they may be ruined for life?!

i was told by someone to get a piglet and introduce the pups to it right about now but i'm not really sure what the law would have to say about that.... and i dont really have the room for a piglet at this point. i was hoping to get in touch with some acquaintances and get them to help but so far i havent heard from them.

they're still young right now so i'm mainly working on the basic obedience stuff, but i am REALLY REALLY wanting to have them as boar dogs...((everyone thinks i'm mad too)).. if nothing else they'll catch bunnies or other game animals....

if you don't already have one get a good baydog. your bulldog can't catch what hasn't been found and they just haven't got much nose. hogs here have been dogged since colonial days. you might catch the odd one but most days you'll go home empty handed w/just a bulldog.

you dogo ( all your dogs really) need to get comfortable in the woods. take them for walks in safe ones like parks and such. let them run close to you and build their confidence about ranging out. also respond immediately to any little call for help eve if it's just a yip because he caught a thorn. it'll show him that you're interested in his noises. as they get older you can stop responding to useless sounds.

later when he's older try to get him to a bay pen to introduce him to a hog. love him up for standing to the hog and get him to the woods right away where you have good hog sign. don't let him go to a bay pen more than 3-4 times without seeing hogs in the woods otherwise he may turn into a pendog and won't work in the woods.

spotlighting crop fields is a grest way to introduce dogs to woods hogs.

just some random thoughts.

Thanks Pops :D

i had thought about the bay dog actually.. i wondered if i would need one or not. i remember reading in Dave Putnam's book that ABs used to track and catch but thats slowly been bred out of them ... i havent read that chapter in ages so maybe i'm getting it wrong.. but seems like Dave thought it would be a good idea to encourage the bulldogs to use their noses as well as their mouths.

just today i was chatting to someone - all my searching has paid off!- he lives close by and has two pups, not sure on their ages.. 1 is a Yellow Mouth Curr mixed with Rhodesian Ridge back and the other is Yellow Mouth Curr mixed with Red Nosed Pit with a tad of Blue Tick Hound in her. his goals for them are to locate downed deer, but who knows, with that sort of mix they could probably find pigs too? if not then maybe he'll know someone else who has a bay dog.

I know a couple of places to go for hogs.... only problem is they're two hours away.... i have to keep looking around here for places to get permission.

used to be getting permission to hunt hogs was easy. now everybody is trying to cash in on the fad. for a dog with grit, catching and killing a coon as an adolescent will boost his confidence especially if he finds it himself. so walking golf courses at night is a great idea.

hadnt thought of golf courses... the only ones i know of are in the city or hours away - funny this being Florida, the media would have you believe there is a golf course every ten miles...

my cousin used to have raccoons breaking into her back yard. hopefully (haha) they're still there

used to be getting permission to hunt hogs was easy. now everybody is trying to cash in on the fad. for a dog with grit, catching and killing a coon as an adolescent will boost his confidence especially if he finds it himself. so walking golf courses at night is a great idea.

just make sure that those 'coons aren't likely to carrying distemper or rabies. check your regional data on this!