saluki greyhound x deerhound greyhound

Has anybody ran this cross? How do ther fare up?

never owned one mate but seen a few run all in all they were good dog's a think they were 1/2 greyhound 1/4 saluki 1/4 deerhound they was from the same litter they were good for all quary on the lamp they were also descent coursing dog's not great but would alway's get a few

Of course I dont know a whole hell of alot about how yall do your work with lurchers and what not but I just cant see why that the cross would not be good at about anything providing they were out of a good stock of hard workin dogs. To me for an all arounder, in my country, I wouldnt want anything but that. We have dogs kind of like that over here but we just call em stags. Doubt they got much Saluki really in them but they got a shot of just about whatever makes it work and they have the build and what not about like that cross would have, I would guess.

HAHAHA! Sorry bout that. All I was tryin to say was that it might work well for a fella providing the parents in the cross aint some AKC shit eaters. LOL! Hope thats easire for a guy to understand. You oughta seen me strain when I first come over here a few years ago. Hell, I dont know whether I was a foot or horseback. I couldnt understand a damn thing yall was sayin. LOL! Shit, then I started pickin it up and typin out yalls jargon on some of the USA sights and crackin people up. I love this site though cause most of the guys on here seem to know about dogs even if they aint the kind I fool with. I get on here and the sled dog site cause I think the fellas knows dogs just not my kind of dogs.

I fool around with pretty much July hounds on coyotes but I like all kinds of doggin game.

Dan, we really ARE two countries divided by a common language !!! I can't understand a thing you said !!! LOL !!!

Cheers.

CP read it with an american accent, it works for me!!!!!

Im running a Saluki/Grey X Grey/Deer/Whippet. This is my 1st running dog(always been into terriers) so i would say he has done all right for me so far. Bags of energy and stamina. This season he will be 3 yrs old. The only fault i have got with him he can be a little head strong...For a 27" dog he can get about in quite small fields on short runs, and really excells on bigger quarry on longer runs :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Here are a couple of pics

MUTTS074.jpg

MUTTS055-1.jpg

These two are from last season 2 yrs old

MUTTS017-1.jpg

MUTTS052.jpg

High Dan From what Ive seen australian stags /kangaroo dogs and American stags /coyota do seem simular

Im not sure our british mates have game as big and powerful as we do other than red or fallow deer. So a dog as big and powerful isnt always what is required over there. Having said all that I have a deerhound /greyhound stag and a saluki and the saluki isnt half the dog the stag is yet time will tell.

Stevemac

High Dan From what Ive seen australian stags /kangaroo dogs and American stags /coyota do seem simular

Im not sure our british mates have game as big and powerful as we do other than red or fallow deer. So a dog as big and powerful isnt always what is required over there. Having said all that I have a deerhound /greyhound stag and a saluki and the saluki isnt half the dog the stag is yet time will tell.

Stevemac

Right on, I agree. I guess thats what has always confused me too. I cannot see the need for anything over there that needs any bull blood or deerhound type blood. I would think that the greyhound, whippet, saluki, and something like their collie dogs would be all they would need. Our stags can pick a fox up like a wet rag and shake it loose while on the next run have one hell of a time with a coyote. If we didnt have coyotes I would never see the need for a stag type dog but the problem is, thats about all we got and them sumbitches are rough for real. Of course I am a dreamer for the most part. But................I have always thought that if I lived there in Europe, I would have me a greyhoundxwhippet/saluki and be a pretty happy with that.

Im running a Saluki/Grey X Grey/Deer/Whippet. This is my 1st running dog(always been into terriers) so i would say he has done all right for me so far. Bags of energy and stamina. This season he will be 3 yrs old. The only fault i have got with him he can be a little head strong...For a 27" dog he can get about in quite small fields on short runs, and really excells on bigger quarry on longer runs :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Here are a couple of pics

MUTTS074.jpg

MUTTS055-1.jpg

These two are from last season 2 yrs old

MUTTS017-1.jpg

MUTTS052.jpg

where ya from mate tha looks like the land i hunt i the above pictures? michael

Although a deerhound/greyhound x saluki/greyhound may LOOK like a Staghound, they are NOT alike, imo...

Bull hybrids are used, and your right, taking one or two foxs (pre-ban) isnt that hard...but try taking 5-6 in a night, with other quarry, maybe twice a week...Bull adds that paint threshold, and the ability to keep going when the chips are down...also most lads over here run a shit load of dogs on a yote at a time,...yeah, its pest control, and coyotes are a 'kill on sight' kinda animal, but if you take 4-5 staghounds all over 70lbs, and dump them on a coyote, which at the most is gonna be 60lbs, then thats roughly 350lbs of dog Vs 60lbs of coyote...imo, not sporting and a total waste of a valiant animal...and yet it is still not that un-common, to see pics on the net of a brave little 40lbs yote fending off five useless, big doppy Staghounds...a coyote goes down fighting, he dosnt scream, or bitch about his death, he goes down like a warrior...i think they are to be respected for that, hence i wouldnt run more than TWO dogs on a coyote...two, is no better than three, and im talking about MADE dogs...not putting a young, green dog with older made dogs to learn the trade...of course you need to be careful when running an animal like a coyote...they will easily overmatch young dogs, and spoil a good dog.

My aim is/will be to breed dogs that, at the most only need TWO dogs on a coyote, and maybe even through the odd pup from that line that can do them single handed...not all the time, but should be able to do them if needs be...i dont see why it cant be done...you get a dog that 30+" and 90lbs, it has the phisyical tools to deal with a coyote...but do they have the minerals?...i know there are dogs and even a few bitches out there that can/have doen single handed coyotes, so i know its possible!...

Kye..

Although a deerhound/greyhound x saluki/greyhound may LOOK like a Staghound, they are NOT alike, imo...

Bull hybrids are used, and your right, taking one or two foxs (pre-ban) isnt that hard...but try taking 5-6 in a night, with other quarry, maybe twice a week...Bull adds that paint threshold, and the ability to keep going when the chips are down...also most lads over here run a shit load of dogs on a yote at a time,...yeah, its pest control, and coyotes are a 'kill on sight' kinda animal, but if you take 4-5 staghounds all over 70lbs, and dump them on a coyote, which at the most is gonna be 60lbs, then thats roughly 350lbs of dog Vs 60lbs of coyote...imo, not sporting and a total waste of a valiant animal...and yet it is still not that un-common, to see pics on the net of a brave little 40lbs yote fending off five useless, big doppy Staghounds...a coyote goes down fighting, he dosnt scream, or bitch about his death, he goes down like a warrior...i think they are to be respected for that, hence i wouldnt run more than TWO dogs on a coyote...two, is no better than three, and im talking about MADE dogs...not putting a young, green dog with older made dogs to learn the trade...of course you need to be careful when running an animal like a coyote...they will easily overmatch young dogs, and spoil a good dog.

My aim is/will be to breed dogs that, at the most only need TWO dogs on a coyote, and maybe even through the odd pup from that line that can do them single handed...not all the time, but should be able to do them if needs be...i dont see why it cant be done...you get a dog that 30+" and 90lbs, it has the phisyical tools to deal with a coyote...but do they have the minerals?...i know there are dogs and even a few bitches out there that can/have doen single handed coyotes, so i know its possible!...

Kye..

Kye, I was not tryin to say that the cross was a stag at all. An American Stag is unlike any other type of cross you can imagine. It took years and years to develop it. They have some bull in them of course and many other types and breeds. I was just tryin to draw some type of similiar comparison. We have sort of had this discussion before. You were tryin to tell me to use stags in the way I hunt coyotes and I explained to you that because of the fact that I free cast that it really wouldnt work to awful well. I am gonna run some stag crosses though. Truthfully though right now I dont need them. I have some dogs that are bone crushing coyotes as of right now but who knows, they may not keep it up.