Kynoch loading 375H&H

The original Kynoch went out of business in the early 1960's. It had been taken over by ICI years previously, I think. Or maybe. At the time I think they were the only company loading the old British express cartridges and suchlike which was one of the factors meant you couldn't give away things like double rifles which today are worth a fortune - as they should be.

I don't know much about the modern Kynoch ammo but it seems to be well thought of, as far as I can tell. They make most of the old stuff again and I think a lot of it is made as near to identical specs as the old stuff as possible. Bullets and ballistics of a lot of it can't change too much anyway as it has to match the regualtion for old rifles, especially doubles. I think some of the modern stuff uses Woodleigh bullets.

John, what calibre are you using on deer? Lots of the old Kynoch ammo was made for large and heavy game so the modern stuff wil be made to very similar specs so you may find that bullets may have think jackets which are designed to expand only on thick-skinned game or something? Although, as I say, I don't know a great deal about Kynoch ammo.

J.

Hi Jonathan,

Yes - I bought the ammo from kynamco recently. The accuracy is good. I am using .375 H&H in 270 grain soft nose. I have shot a roe buck with the ammo already, at short range (60m). It dropped on the spot, but then again the bullet passed straight through the top of its heart and exited near the diaphragm.

I shot a stag in the chest at 200 and it was still standing 5 minutes later. I am currently blaming poor shot placement, but perhaps this is compounded by having just "drilled" it with a round that didn't expand. Many people would think that a round that big anywhere in the boiler room would be more than enough.

I had thought that a soft nose (it has visible lead at the front) would mean that expansion was not a problem, but perhaps it does have a very thick jacket to assist with penetrating thick skinned dangerous game. Short of shooting ballistic jelly I don't know how to test it!

One thing is for sure - I want to take every precaution to ensure that any beast I hit has the absolute minimum of suffering. Even if I don't change ammo, I'll stalk in to 100 yds on the next one and get someone to tape the shot.

From the above John, I would suggest that distance may be immaterial relatively speaking, rather the expansion of the bullet that needs to be tested.

Its like the old saying, you can shoot deer with an elephant gun but you still need the right bullet in the right place.

Would it be worth perhaps dropping Kynamco an email to try and find out the exact bullet/spec of bullet so you can then begin to compare how thick the jacket would be. Once you have either the spec or the manufacturer you can compare different brands of .375 heads.

May be making a mountain out of a molehill for what may be a very slight change in shot placement, but at least you'll know.

I phoned kynoch today. The bullet is a woodleigh weldcore. Apparently the 235 grain bullet would be better for deer, as the 270 grain bullet will go straight through unless it hits something solid. The chap seemed to think that anywhere in the heart and lungs would be safe, even without expansion. I think the shot was too low or too far back and didn't hit the heart or lungs. I will keep using the ammo and work on shot placement I think. Next trip should be on the 17th Sept so will update then.

Hi Jonathan,

. I am using .375 H&H in 270 grain soft nose. I have shot a roe buck with the ammo already, at short range (60m). It dropped on the spot, but then again the bullet passed straight through the top of its heart and exited near the diaphragm.

I shot a stag in the chest at 200 and it was still standing 5 minutes later. I am currently blaming poor shot placement, but perhaps this is compounded by having just "drilled" it with a round that didn't expand. Many people would think that a round that big anywhere in the boiler room would be more than enough.

I had thought that a soft nose (it has visible lead at the front) would mean that expansion was not a problem, but perhaps it does have a very thick jacket to assist with penetrating thick skinned dangerous game. Short of shooting ballistic jelly I don't know how to test it!

One thing is for sure - I want to take every precaution to ensure that any beast I hit has the absolute minimum of suffering. Even if I don't change ammo, I'll stalk in to 100 yds on the next one and get someone to tape the shot.

I pull the leg of a friend here who's normal Roe round is a .270 propelled from his legendary old Mannlicher. I can certainly testify they dont want another and there was not a lot of damage to the one I necked with the old smokepole. A 375HH is though a whole new ball game on Roe especially at 60 yards, what was the front shoulder damage like?. With a stag still standing after 5 minutes why did you not give it another one, I would have done pretty quick.

A

Hi Jonathan,

. I am using .375 H&H in 270 grain soft nose. I have shot a roe buck with the ammo already, at short range (60m). It dropped on the spot, but then again the bullet passed straight through the top of its heart and exited near the diaphragm.

I pull the leg of a friend here who's normal Roe round is a .270 propelled from his legendary old Mannlicher. I can certainly testify they dont want another and there was not a lot of damage to the one I necked with the old smokepole. A 375HH is though a whole new ball game on Roe especially at 60 yards, what was the front shoulder damage like?. With a stag still standing after 5 minutes why did you not give it another one, I would have done pretty quick.

A

Hi Alycidon,

The meat was fine on the roe. Entered between the shoulders (it was facing me) and the shot exited on the buck's left side, just below the diaphragm (no damage to rumen). There was a lot of damage to heart, lung and liver.

The stag went into cover and then emerged again while we were waiting for it to bleed out. It must have been 300 yards (no rangefinder) and the stalker said he couldn't ask me to shoot it again at that range. We moved out of sight to come up closer, but by the time we were in position it was gone. By next time I will have zeroed at 300 and will have a rangefinder with me, so in the unfortunate event that the next one doesn't drop straight away I'll be OK out to 300 for follow up shots.

John