can hares and rabbits cross breed

jakk

i went down to the farm this morning to see if there was owt about and i saw something that was about the size of a leveret but it had no black on its ears and its ears where huge i actually thought it was a leveret but as a started walking again it ran down a nearby warren has anyone else seen or heard of rabbits and hares cross breeding before cheers in advance :notworthy:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went down to the farm this morning to see if there was owt about and i saw something that was about the size of a leveret but it had no black on its ears and its ears where huge i actually thought it was a leveret but as a started walking again it ran down a nearby warren has anyone else seen or heard of rabbits and hares cross breeding before cheers in advance :notworthy:

Never in my life mate,however thats not to say it aint impossible.Just highly unlikely.Take a camera with you next time you go. :victory:

No cant happen but hares will sometimes bolt into rabbit holes is pressed!

round here in suffolk i often see what it is your discribing, its nothing more than a leverit that hasnt got its black tip colour yet. i see them almost daily this time of the year. there about the size of a young rabbit but alot more gangly in there movement as well as longer legged. so no you havnt seen a new breed of running machine and no they cant cross breed. :victory:

Edited by mole catcher

Yes ,though it is "Rare",if they do it too often it becomes a "Habit".Seriously no they can't two distinct species. Inan.

No they cant inter bred got me thinking what you saw now :icon_eek:

Could it not of been a wild/domesticated hybrid?

thats what i would of gone with :thumbs: seen plenty over the years different colours, different physical appearance