Update on the Airedale pup

Dill is now just over 4 1/2 months old, though I have to keep reminding myself that's all she is because she is so steady, calm, measured and switched on.

She's already hunting cover with the small terriers, and gets excited when they catch a rabbit. The other day she went into a nettle bed where my old terrier had caught a little rabbit, then picked it up and brought it to me as proud as punch.

Different mentality to anything I've had before: very watchful, curious about everything, no nerves at all, ever, apart from when she met her first cow: young pup looks at big cow then goes 'woof', then hugs the hedge to catch up with me, having to pass only feet from big cow. Very sensible pup.

Her coat is 100% waterproof, even in a down pour, and once she'd got over the stage of stinging her pads on nettle (they've toughened up a bit more now LOL), she ploughs steadily but slowly into any cover that holds a trace of rabbit scent. Like I said, I have to keep reminding myself that she is so young, and not take her out for too long at a time, but having said that she never seems to get tired, which is born out by the fact that when we get home she usually plays for another hour or so with a lurcher or 2 or 3 LOL

She is like a tank on legs, and is definitely going to be the solid, rather than the leggy sort: they do vary quite a lot in build by the looks of things. I was talking to a bloke in the States who has had both types: the lightly built and leggy, and the heavier tank jobs. Both, he said, have their uses, but the heavy, stocky sort cause (and I quote his own words) "a world of pain to their quarry". I guess he's talking about coyotes and the like.

I suppose I would have preferred the more lightly built, but as I reckon that this pup will be a real powerhouse of an animal, and after all, I didn't get her to catch rabbits, it will be very interesting to see how she comes on.

She's a real character too, talks and yowls to me when she wants something, retrieves endlessly: wears me out LOL! But can sleep for hours too, very chilled out when there's nothing going on, and happy just to be around me.

She really hurts the lurchers when she plays with them: her bite is so strong, and as her centre of gravity is low, she seldom gets pushed off her feet, and goes in under the lurchers and grabs their elbows or throats!

Very easy to live with, in the kennel or in the house: she doesn't mind where I put her, and now getting more and more biddable by the day. Had a stage where she didn't want to recognise me as boss, but we've got that sorted now with a mixture of lots of one to one play and being stern when she wouldn't listen.

If she's typical of the breed then they are very people orientated: not the sort of dog to leave in a kennel 24/7 or not do anything with. She really thrives on playing training games with me, and each new thing she learns she never forgets even if she only does something once: its there in her head for ever after.

Just a few pics: in a hole the lurchers had dug when it was hot, and retrieving the rabbit skin dummy for the first time: no mouthing, running off with it or trying to hide it, just straight to me, and told the other dogs to keep away with a little growl. I think she'll be very possessive of things when she gets older, and already stands her ground. I never leave her loose with my small terriers as she would be likely to really piss them off with her rough games: she tries to grab them across the back: and it would be bad news. I'm actually having to break her to them in the same way I do ferrets, by telling her to leave them alone: mind you, the lurcher pups get trained in the same way as they like to see the small terriers as something to play with when they are the same age! Not good for relationship between the two.

Edited to add: at the moment she stands almost 19 inches to the shoulder, haven't weighed her for a couple of weeks, but she's heavy!

post-5156-1212487516_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1212487570_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1212487598_thumb.jpg

post-5156-1212487625_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dill is now just over 4 1/2 months old, though I have to keep reminding myself that's all she is because she is so steady, calm, measured and switched on.

She's already hunting cover with the small terriers, and gets excited when they catch a rabbit. The other day she went into a nettle bed where my old terrier had caught a little rabbit, then picked it up and brought it to me as proud as punch.

Different mentality to anything I've had before: very watchful, curious about everything, no nerves at all, ever, apart from when she met her first cow: young pup looks at big cow then goes 'woof', then hugs the hedge to catch up with me, having to pass only feet from big cow. Very sensible pup.

Her coat is 100% waterproof, even in a down pour, and once she'd got over the stage of stinging her pads on nettle (they've toughened up a bit more now LOL), she ploughs steadily but slowly into any cover that holds a trace of rabbit scent. Like I said, I have to keep reminding myself that she is so young, and not take her out for too long at a time, but having said that she never seems to get tired, which is born out by the fact that when we get home she usually plays for another hour or so with a lurcher or 2 or 3 LOL

She is like a tank on legs, and is definitely going to be the solid, rather than the leggy sort: they do vary quite a lot in build by the looks of things. I was talking to a bloke in the States who has had both types: the lightly built and leggy, and the heavier tank jobs. Both, he said, have their uses, but the heavy, stocky sort cause (and I quote his own words) "a world of pain to their quarry". I guess he's talking about coyotes and the like.

I suppose I would have preferred the more lightly built, but as I reckon that this pup will be a real powerhouse of an animal, and after all, I didn't get her to catch rabbits, it will be very interesting to see how she comes on.

She's a real character too, talks and yowls to me when she wants something, retrieves endlessly: wears me out LOL! But can sleep for hours too, very chilled out when there's nothing going on, and happy just to be around me.

She really hurts the lurchers when she plays with them: her bite is so strong, and as her centre of gravity is low, she seldom gets pushed off her feet, and goes in under the lurchers and grabs their elbows or throats!

Very easy to live with, in the kennel or in the house: she doesn't mind where I put her, and now getting more and more biddable by the day. Had a stage where she didn't want to recognise me as boss, but we've got that sorted now with a mixture of lots of one to one play and being stern when she wouldn't listen.

If she's typical of the breed then they are very people orientated: not the sort of dog to leave in a kennel 24/7 or not do anything with. She really thrives on playing training games with me, and each new thing she learns she never forgets even if she only does something once: its there in her head for ever after.

Just a few pics: in a hole the lurchers had dug when it was hot, and retrieving the rabbit skin dummy for the first time: no mouthing, running off with it or trying to hide it, just straight to me, and told the other dogs to keep away with a little growl. I think she'll be very possessive of things when she gets older, and already stands her ground. I never leave her loose with my small terriers as she would be likely to really piss them off with her rough games: she tries to grab them across the back: and it would be bad news. I'm actually having to break her to them in the same way I do ferrets, by telling her to leave them alone: mind you, the lurcher pups get trained in the same way as they like to see the small terriers as something to play with when they are the same age! Not good for relationship between the two.

Edited to add: at the moment she stands almost 19 inches to the shoulder, haven't weighed her for a couple of weeks, but she's heavy!

Hello and let me say that your pup looks very thick and rugged, I am new to the sporting culture and the Airedale is one of the breeds that i am interested in owning as part of my working group of 3 to 5 dogs.

I saw that you said " was talking to a bloke in the States who has had both types: the lightly built and leggy, and the heavier tank jobs. Both, he said, have their uses, but the heavy, stocky sort cause (and I quote his own words) "a world of pain to their quarry". I guess he's talking about coyotes and the like."; you were speaking about a guy you know in the states/U.S. and I am very interested in this breed especially from working stock. You can take a look at my profile and my intro. when you get a chance. I would very much like to get advice concerning breeders/ the breed/ working clubs/ etc. Please any info. would be a BIG help!

Keep'm Workin

Thanks for all your interest folks.

Dingo: here is a link to the Airedale forum I have joined. Al, the guy who runs it is obviously very experienced with Airedales and you could try contacting him for more info. Everyone I have spoken to about the Airedales says the same thing: that once you have one of these dogs you wonder the hell why you didn't get one earlier! LOL

http://xsorbit26.com/users5/traditionalwor...action=register

Erik: I know, she's a bit on the thin sad side isn't she :tongue2: :11: Seriously though, when she's playing with the lurchers who are much taller than her, they don't stand a chance if she crashes into them at a gallop: and she's still only small!

They were used in the war as messengers a very loyal dog, they have an obsession with children which they

can become very protective of, a great guard dog....and regards hunting the hound in them can cause the nose to

hit the ground and cause deafness... so dont let up on the training but all in all a great versatile breed enjoy...

• 10 months later...

hpoe pics come threwpost-28769-1241421588_thumb.jpg

hey there skycat fianilly got a pic up to every one else this is a line of pig dog my family hunts with airdale was introduced into line in the 80s they are a bailing line the family has kept this line close to home ill try and put some other pics up. the dogs in pics have about between 25%-50% airdale still i think not of the standard of the redline but these dogs are very well known in there area cheers mike