The Badger Cull

When the proposed badger cull gets underway, i assume that they will be cage trapped ,or snared ,then humanely put down.If they are to be snared ,what is the correct method of doing it.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

However they do it, the correct way will be explained to their own guys. They'll not legalise the general public to touch badgers.

No need to concern yeself.

Here they snare them and it's crude to say the least.

Most of the time a snare set on a Friday is checked on the monday or in one case I've seen a Tuesday (Bank Holiday). The famer felt sorry for the badger as he'd seen it lieing there Saturday, Sunday and asked me to shoot it on the Monday. It's no way of controling a great creature such as the Badger.

If a farmer asks me to dig one (which would take a short while) I have to say no but the Govt. can send in cowboys.

This is the same Government that withheld the Ward Unions liscence and that of 3 coursing clubs but condones snareing badgers.

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti snareing just anti hypo-crites and cowboys.

You can be sure of one thing; if badgers are to be culled in the UK, snares or gassing will not be the chosen methods.

My money would be on cage trapping, or possibly lamping with centrefire 22 rifles.

Gassing will never be used in the UK after that notorious video footage was shown to the parliamentry sub commitee. Cage trapping (with dispatch using .22 pistol) is proven to be the most humane method (in government eyes).

The 64 million dollar question is ..........

Who will do the killing? The government had a very experienced and qualified workforce who could carry out a cull; but they saw fit to lay em all off......................................

A few years ago a headkeeper friend of mine showed me the cage traps that the Ministry badger trappers were using to conduct tests on them for the bovine TB issue and I was shocked. They were using big weldmesh fox cages but the way they were set/baited/checked etc left a lot to be desired. On his estate they set their traps and through poor siting in the public view they had half of their traps stolen or vandalised and many complaints from Joe P about captive badgers. It just smacked of inadequacy and unprofessionalism - to me it looked like the 'college professionals', those 'classroom experts' had done their best perhaps but it was no better than a schoolboy's first rabbit wire. Badgers are high on the public's cuddly bunny list and whilst I can see the need for the cull, it needs to be done expertly by people who know what they are doing - those very gamekeepers who had the right withdrawn all those years ago.

OTC

When the proposed badger cull gets underway, i assume that they will be cage trapped ,or snared ,then humanely put down.If they are to be snared ,what is the correct method of doing it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by CHALKWARREN

I've followed hounds in Pembrokeshire and one area I was told has the highest population per hectare of badgers in Europe.

The damage done to grazing land every night was unbelievable. Although I don't agree with a cull over here I can see why it must be done over there.

Seems the do gooders have become the badgers worst friend. As for ways to control the badger. Unarguably the most humane way to take a badger has been illegal this good few years and always will be.

Guest little_lloyd
Got to agree with MTR,easiest way to cull numbers of badgers would be through lamping and shooting with cage-traps as a secondary option.

Dont you think cages will be smashed to smytherhenes? Like last time. Costing more money to the tax payer to buy more cages for the silly cull,, Lamping with a powerfull rilfe and Snaring will be the best option in my opinion anyway.

Why they do not let the genuine terrier boys,, do the work instead of f*****g around with cages and gas? Things are best left to the people that know it best, IMO. Goverment bigots? or the people who know the countryside and its quarry inside out?

I know what options i would go for.

Guest friedrice
A few years ago a headkeeper friend of mine showed me the cage traps that the Ministry badger trappers were using to conduct tests on them for the bovine TB issue and I was shocked. They were using big weldmesh fox cages but the way they were set/baited/checked etc left a lot to be desired. On his estate they set their traps and through poor siting in the public view they had half of their traps stolen or vandalised and many complaints from Joe P about captive badgers. It just smacked of inadequacy and unprofessionalism - to me it looked like the 'college professionals', those 'classroom experts' had done their best perhaps but it was no better than a schoolboy's first rabbit wire. Badgers are high on the public's cuddly bunny list and whilst I can see the need for the cull, it needs to be done expertly by people who know what they are doing - those very gamekeepers who had the right withdrawn all those years ago.

OTC

they dident hide them very well,most lads near me have one

The best way the Government boys cull Badgers is with a rubber bands!.

What they do is glue a Jelly baby onto the end of a rubber band then stake the band to the ground just outside the sett. Now for some reason Billy's go crazy for Jelly babies especially the black ones. Once they get hold of them they will not let go for love nor money, and that's the trick. Billy picks up the bait, goes off to forage for a bit more grub and BAMMM!!! hes right back where he started. Now after a few BOINGS on the elastic old Brock gets spooked and makes a dash for the Sett.

The Men in Black turn up the next day a pull on the elastic and out pops The Badger from the sett. One of the MIB then quickly takes off a shoe and gives the Billy a sharp tap on the bridge of the nose with the heal of his shoe, job done 1Xbadger dispatched.

Very effective and humane, it's true, I have a letter from the Right Honourable Tony Blaire to prove it!