cull or not to cull .. debate

Guest bigredbusa

Guest bigredbusa

ok , as i didnt want to reply to someone who hyjacked a thread maybe we could do it here in a friendly manner.

i know a lot of people are going to disagree with culling young but what are you're thoughts on it .

i bred for myself and was lucky enough to end up with only four of which two are going to thl member but if i ended up with 12 of em would it be fair for them to go to a crap home and watch some kid put them in a bucket (like we saw lately on youtube) or end up at a rescue .

is there a problem with culling a few day old ferts ? afterall dogmen have done it for years to keep people from stealing a line .

i have a fert here that does not fit in with my camp so has to go , i still have him and will still work him til he goes to a good home .

whats your views ?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it depends on what age you do it , if you hang on to kits on he understanding that a mate has some when there old enough to then find the aggrement has fallen through i would find it hard to cull at 8 weeks old,

Well it depends on what age you do it , if you hang on to kits on he understanding that a mate has some when there old enough to then find the aggrement has fallen through i would find it hard to cull at 8 weeks old,

....very true I cull within a day of being born.

....very true I cull within a day of being born.

I think if you have to cull then it should be done asap

My thoughts are that you assume you'll get 10 kits and arrange owners accordingly.

If you get fewer than that, someone is disappointed. Tough.

If it's too many for you, then get together with a few mates. If your workers are any good (and your mates believe that working ability is inherited) then I don't see a problem.

Breeding too many and killing the excess just plays into the pet-owners' 'all ferreters are evil' prejudices.

yep agree kay , i would say a few days / hours . i find it quite intresting as look how many litters we have seen so far on this forum.

Last year i recall peoples kits going down & dropping like flies & being found half eaten , so maybe this years a bumper harvest

arnt calves killed if there neither any use for milk or for meat & then the hounds get the carcass rather than it go to waste

Guest bigredbusa
My thoughts are that you assume you'll get 10 kits and arrange owners accordingly

why ? i bred for myself but i dont want that many ?

True. out of curiosity how would you cull a ferret?

have you seen the size of a new born fert ?