anyone recommend a good bag to carry roe in?

Guest david1976

Guest david1976

Went stalking for the first time today on my new piece of ground. Managed to shoot a buck with a dreadful head (i'll post a pic when the missus comes back with the camera). Also stalked into a doe and a doe & calf for a bit of practice.

Shoulders are bloody killing me as i had to carry it for four hours, can anyone recommend a good bag to put roe in for carrying? A suitable army surplus type bag would be fine as i'm too tight to pay £60 upwards for a proper one. :D

Guest david1976
:stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

What about a proper roe sack i dont know the price of these or take a some rope tie the legs up and put it over your shoulder it's easy and cheap way of carrying them

regards

the cheapest roe sack i can find is £50 and i'd rather put that towards binoculars, i was just looking for a different option.

I had it over my shoulder today however it's pretty uncomfortable so i'd prefer to get a bag of some description.

On the plus side, i found out my boat bag for fishing holds a deer so i have something to put it in in the car :)

Edited by david1976

you would be suprised what you can fit even the biggest of roe in... Used to have a shoulder bag, pretty much like a paperboys bag...... and i can get them in there,

Also have a army rucksack, and get them in there, and use the two shoulder straps, can carry them for fields before feeling any aches :D

Depending on how much walking your doing and what land your covering........iv found for what we do a bag would make things awkward, i preffer to carry roe on my back. End up with blood soaked backs but if the time comes you can quickly drop it into the hedge.....plus we end up crawling through a lot of hedges and its a piss take having to take the bag on and off every 5 mins.....on ya back all ya do is lay it on the hedge crawl through and roll it back off the hedge onto ya shoulders......Im not a fan of roe sacks but if it makes the job easyier for you then fair do's......i know of lads that use fishing tackle bags......nice and strong but not the thing ya wana carry when stalking. Go for somthing that can be packed away and carried about easily. The cordura roe sack decoying are selling looks decent and for 48 quid.....not a badprice aswell......could be used for carrying plenty of other game aswell.....

Witton

Guest david1976
I have to move roe a fair way on some of my ground and i drag it by the back legs .No fuss just hard work .Deal with it . :whistling:

No point in dragging it through a few miles of chopped trees and forestry debris id rip the skin off it and be left with mince!

Guest david1976
My brother is in the marines and just come back from a pretty hard stint. His "bag" weighs more than me, and a surplus would do your job very well I should think. When carrying it for long periods you will get rubbed though. He was in the jungle - with the heat and damp - and knew it was going to rub him something rotten. He bought a neoprene type back support for £13 from a sports shop, which he put on under his shirt, as the sideways movement was rubbing him. This apparently helped an awful lot and for £13 and small enough to be squashed in a pocket when not needed - seems like a good idea. He's away this weekend, but when he comes back I will ask him how he dealt with his burben. He now considers himself the master in this subject!! I will ask and get back to you with any tips.

cheers foxyjo

Google ALICE pack, they are a US military pack with an external frame that can be removed from the pack, you can then attach a carcass to this, whatever you go with though, if carried for any period nothing will be comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry a Roe sack but have often found it too small for the larger Roe.

An IKEA bag is perfect, folds up small, stops a slick of blood running down your back, keeps a bucks atlers at bay and costs about £2.

Edited by dama

I got a roe sack made up here for £40 with a linner & £7 for spare linner. Its more like a sika sack as i can get 2-3 roe in it but 1 good 40lb roe enough. A roe sack is a great bit of kit to any body doing stalking to carry equipment.

A length or rope around the head and looped round the muzzel (to stop the head bending back) and drag it. Can always use your belt as a makeshife shoulder sling for the drag. The carcus won't get chopped up mate, also helps it cool down faster that being squashed in a bag and get rid of those annoying loose hairs that get everywhere. Gralloch only in the field, leave the pluck and sternum where it is so it doesn't get dirty in the drag.