Feral this/Urban that

Theres a few areas in Essex where fallow wander into the streets KD,and as you say,we have countless fox wandering the streets,I know a few areas where Munties can sometimes be seen on palying fields,and parakeets locally are a pest :victory:

local paper a few years back had photo of rspca trying to catch a muntie on highgate hill what a farce all they were trying with nets and tried to corner it all they needed was a good lurcher :)

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I was walking my old dear through Hull city centre one night and couldn't help but point out the f*cking rabbits left, right and centre! :icon_eek:

Looked out my window one night to see a fox on my front lawn too.

Hull cracked me up ~ Prescotts home town; They said they'd put a " Fox Proof Fence " round the city! :rofl: Five foot galvanised pailing fence with holes underneath it I could have wriggled through myself! Not to mention the f*cking great roads :laugh: FFS! There's " New Labour " at their best, eh?

• 1 month later...

same up here every spare inch of green gets turned over and a new estate quickly appears. As the green belt areas steadily decrease the knock on effect has been devastating. We used to have hare, rabbit and every kind of bird you could think of, yellow hammers Partridge have all gone from my area. Farming methods have also played a huge part in the decline of certain species. Funny enough the only thing in plentyful supply is roe deer theyr'e feckin everywhere here. There used to be a number of ponds and coal bings around here but everything has been either drained or flattend over in the name of progress. One day we're all going to be living in the one gigantic village with no defining boundaries...somethings got to give and it always seems to be the wildlife that suffer.

urbanisation hey, its a b****r. so arrogant of 'humans' to think that we have a god given right to dump big slabs of concrete on 'the green stuff' as far as the eye can see, claim it as home and then expect the wildlife to move out. I doff my cap to the critters for being canny, adaptive, opportunists! have to admire them. I for one find it amusing (and satisfying) to read reports in the local newspaper where 'wildlife' or cattle have trashed a garden where there was once green land (call me warped I don't really care). Animals United 1 - Land Squatter Rangers 0! (I think these might be the same idiots on property programs who want to move to the country, into a quaint cottage, then moan that the cottage's rooms are small, ceilings are low, stairs are creaky, funny angles in rooms isolated locations, etc and there are farmyard smells!) feel my love people? my rant

p.s. don't get me started on Tesco please!!!!!!!!! ha ha

Edited by Tracy36

I think our gardens are often more like wild areas than farmed land and create corridors of green like hedgrows do.

While its true that land gets paved over I've also seen plenty of old woodland fall to be replaced with ploughed fields.

its becoming more and more popular to declare your back garden as a wild life refuge. at least in the US anyway. its the new "IN" thing... "everyones doing it"... but i dont care that people are doing it for stupid reasons. just glad they ARE doing it.

one way to start is get rid of the non-native plants(a lot of them are toxic anyway) and replace them with native. also set up natural habitats for smaller local species. just like hunting you need food source, water source, and shelter from the elements.

i love going to visit my mother in law's garden because you can see all manner of bird species there. humming birds will come up to feed while you're sitting on the patio, you can watch cardinals showing their babies the way to the bird feeder... and who doesnt love seeing a blue jay dive bomb a cat or squirrel? lol