How to trap crayfish

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, lets start at the beginning:     It sounds obvious, but you will need somewhere where there is actually a population of foreign crayfish, not english ones as they are heavily protecte

Had a go on a pond today to see if there was any about.Used some sprats for bait from Tesco, £1 worth was more than enough.I used 2 drop nets and caught every 10 mins.I will have them with some Pasta

Nothing doing on the crayfish front, but catching loads of eels and some reasonable sizes as well plenty of 2 and 3lb ers 

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

When you say damp, how damp is that?? Do they have to be fed in this time??

Also is it the time of year for them??

dunk your sack/pillow case in water, then wring out, that damp

no, no need to feed, they are meat eaters, they will feed on the weakest one in the sack

they semi hibernate, so once the weather warms up, is when the crays come out of burrows in the banks

Edited by stubby
  • 5 months later...

Brilliant brilliant post. We've heard rumours of crayfish in our area and people catching them and wanted to know more for ages. Will print this and share with family. We already have kayaks and collapsible nets we use in salt water.

Thanks so much for sharing!

• 3 months later...

What a great write up and following posts, does anyone no if the tame in Kingsbury Tamworth would be worth looking into as its my local river

test out stretches of it yourself, water needs to warm up a bit more first as they will still be hibernating, get a piece of string, tie bacon to it and do some test drops in different locations, remember though, doing it with string constitutes fishing, so don't make yourself too obvious it case some anal official is watching,

What a great write up and following posts, does anyone no if the tame in Kingsbury Tamworth would be worth looking into as its my local river

test out stretches of it yourself, water needs to warm up a bit more first as they will still be hibernating, get a piece of string, tie bacon to it and do some test drops in different locations, remember though, doing it with string constitutes fishing, so don't make yourself too obvious it case some anal official is watching,

Cheers pal I'll have a bash iv got a ticket for the water never fish it as its to tight to cast a fly in but a wee line and bait will be sound, what's the score spring/early summer as temps increase or just above 10

• 1 year later...

tried lookin at the map links and they didnt work??? maybe they have changed? any chance of new link anyone?

OR are liscences needed in s.yorks....which rivers have em? Ive never seen one or had any bother from em other than in france.

• Like 1

tried lookin at the map links and they didnt work??? maybe they have changed? any chance of new link anyone?

OR are liscences needed in s.yorks....which rivers have em? Ive never seen one or had any bother from em other than in france.

I have been trying to look for some good spots in Barnsley area mate if I find and I will let you know :thumbs:
  • 2 weeks later...

Great informative post. I grew up catching them in a local "beck" with little dipping nets. As they swim backwards, we'd have someone waiting behind it and then someone move the front net towards them and sort of sandwich them. Made it for interesting sport. Had some beauties too. Didn't know the difference between species at that point and because we put everything back, plenty of signals were reintroduced. Such a shame we knew no better.

Fast forward some 20 odd years and I had my first taste as a Crawfish Gumbo in Texas. Couldn't really discern a taste. Had my first taste of a plain one a couple of months back at a Bushcraft meet. To say they're an acquired taste is an understatement. Definitely not my cup of tea. I had it pan fried rather than boiled so I may need to try them that way to completely rule them out but not something I could quaff regularly.

What a nice little read this is.

What's the best bait for them? Are they better out a fresh river or canal or both (for taste wise) is there anything to look for when looking for places to set traps? Best time of year for them or can they be caught more or less all year round ? Looked on line the traps look easy enough to knock together on YouTube or are you better buying ready made?