How to trap crayfish

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, lets start at the beginning:     It sounds obvious, but you will need somewhere where there is actually a population of foreign crayfish, not english ones as they are heavily protecte

Had a go on a pond today to see if there was any about.Used some sprats for bait from Tesco, £1 worth was more than enough.I used 2 drop nets and caught every 10 mins.I will have them with some Pasta

Nothing doing on the crayfish front, but catching loads of eels and some reasonable sizes as well plenty of 2 and 3lb ers 

Posted Images

thats superb murph....................top bloke. i'm sure you'll get lots of thanks from the others.

ever thought of writing a book??????............never seen one on crayfish???

thanks a lot mate

sean

Very interesting Murph. It would be something I'd like to try (the trapping then the eating) but as far as I'm aware we've only got our resident crayfish here in Ireland and I've seen some nice sized ones but as they're localised I wouldn't dream of trapping them.

Is anyone aware of alien crayfish in Ireland?

Very interesting Murph. It would be something I'd like to try (the trapping then the eating) but as far as I'm aware we've only got our resident crayfish here in Ireland and I've seen some nice sized ones but as they're localised I wouldn't dream of trapping them.

Is anyone aware of alien crayfish in Ireland?

It's not something i've ever heard of but I wouldn't go as far as saying there definately aren't any. I take it you talking about freshwater crays not the marine ones you have? I do a bit of spearfishing and read a book on it by a chap who picked up a lot from the sea whilst the british team was training there for the european championchips years ago. They're also found sometimes off the south coast, meant to be big and good eating.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Regards,

Murph

Murph sorry if i badgered youto provide this guide but hell....fantastic!!!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

much thanks and what an informative write up

just gotta see what the "authorities" up here say to let me get going now!!!

much thanks again brilliant guide

sauer

:victory:

Simonman, there's a few in the Bain and that area but none really that I know of in the Witham or on the fens so it depends whereabouts you are as to whether you'll do any good.

Sauer, no worries, glad you enjoyed it, good luck with your authorities!

Guest bigredbusa

well murph what can i say ? a big thankyou fella.

i just havent seen any signs of them round cambridge way , may start asking baliffs and fishing tackle shops on my travels.

once again thanks

A local lake to me is heaving with the buggers .Any bait fished any depth ,a right pain .What i want to know is -why do they die in a keepnet when caught .A seperate net from the fish that is .Any ideas Murph ?.Oh and a brilliant write up mate . :notworthy:

A local lake to me is heaving with the buggers .Any bait fished any depth ,a right pain .What i want to know is -why do they die in a keepnet when caught .A seperate net from the fish that is .Any ideas Murph ?.Oh and a brilliant write up mate . :notworthy:

I bag crays up in big net bags like a keep net and have never had any trouble but I always make sure they're in deep water, not in the margins as they heat up quickly and soon die from lack of oxygen if the water temperature rises and there's a lot in a confined space, if you're not putting many in a net then I'm afraid I don't know. If the lake's a reasonable size and has got plenty in I'll come and trap it for free and take the crays as payment, pretty much booked up this year but might be able to fit it in in the autumn if the weather's good and the owner's interested.