How to trap crayfish

river dearne ,river dove ,river don , has them ,most carp lakes have them too ,, i didnt know you needed a ticket to catch them i got loads in dearne turning stones and catching them in landing net far side of barnsley past fleets dam ... oh they swim backwards

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, lets start at the beginning:     It sounds obvious, but you will need somewhere where there is actually a population of foreign crayfish, not english ones as they are heavily protecte

Had a go on a pond today to see if there was any about.Used some sprats for bait from Tesco, £1 worth was more than enough.I used 2 drop nets and caught every 10 mins.I will have them with some Pasta

Nothing doing on the crayfish front, but catching loads of eels and some reasonable sizes as well plenty of 2 and 3lb ers 

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

great read,going to have a look see whats in the river at bottom of my field, river Uck ,it runs into the river Ouse ,not heard of any in that but will have a play with a trap or two.Will keep you posted....... Again great post !

• 4 weeks later...

Aye river dearn in south yorkshire is riddled in em I cant even fish on the bottom for chub anymore as Ill get a cray a chuck on sweetcorn in summer.

Im gutted because Ive had some 5 1/2 ibs chub out of my favourite old swims but they were nowhere to be seen last summer.

Then one day I see cormorants on the river nailing the last of the chub, god knows where they came from..

But my point is there are no chublings to be found or young roach anymore as the crays are just eating any eggs inmo.

Anyhow anyone fancy a barrel full get some traps lobbed in the dearn.

Sad to here the bain has them in lincolnshire I had the bain run past the back of the keepers cottage I lived in as a boy and I used to watch massive fish in there (mainly pike) in the early eighties, I only hope the big pike will eat em even if they cant breed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

that looks a good bag of critters mate.a tryed the site to get maps to find rivers with crays in couldent get it up do you no of any where elce to get the maps or any rivers in the north of england with them in would love to give it a go and get my selph a bag .cheers fella

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

my friend bought me back yesterday a trug of crayfish off the river bain in lincolnshire , he said he caught them with un-cured bacon..? look for stenigot mast ,near there.. ;) he said its crawling with them. boil em for 3 mins ,not much meat on them... :laugh:

that looks a good bag of critters mate.a tryed the site to get maps to find rivers with crays in couldent get it up do you no of any where elce to get the maps or any rivers in the north of england with them in would love to give it a go and get my selph a bag .cheers fella

st johns beck has em

• 1 month later...

Real interesting and helpful post.

Had a dozen signals last night, getting 8-12 a time in a collapsable net, with complete dog biscuit,. Will try a tin of cat food though.

Apart from the native species decline, what other detrimental effects do they bring to fisheries?

• 1 month later...

Had a go on a pond today to see if there was any about.Used some sprats for bait from Tesco, £1 worth was more than enough.I used 2 drop nets and caught every 10 mins.I will have them with some Pasta and a pint of Cidre............... :thumbs:

002_zpsbde1d0fb.jpg

006_zps7551a028.jpg

010_zpsb9c2926f.jpg

• Like 4