How to trap crayfish

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, lets start at the beginning:     It sounds obvious, but you will need somewhere where there is actually a population of foreign crayfish, not english ones as they are heavily protecte

Had a go on a pond today to see if there was any about.Used some sprats for bait from Tesco, £1 worth was more than enough.I used 2 drop nets and caught every 10 mins.I will have them with some Pasta

Nothing doing on the crayfish front, but catching loads of eels and some reasonable sizes as well plenty of 2 and 3lb ers 

Posted Images

Threw a trap into the Mole after work today,one problem,popped into Tesco rather quickly and grabbed a tin of sardines for bait,onto the riverbank and discovered they were in tomato sauce :doh: Oh well,lets see what the morrow brings :blink:

Pulled the trap at Lunchtime,I had 7,only one decent sized speciment however but I intend to bait up with waste rainbow trout,that has to be a bigger attractant than tomato sauce sardines :thumbs:

post-1930-0-14377800-1309369862_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-81256400-1309369921_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Got a couple of collapsable traps up my shed, never used them, will now give them a go i think, next roadkill i see will be picked up i think !.

Thanks for a very interesting post mate, much obliged.

b

• 1 month later...

Very interesting information.. I remember catching crays in the park pond as a kid.. Think I might have to give it a go using this info.. How would I go about finding suitable waters around here? (Halifax, West Yorks) And how would I go about getting permission?

Brilliant post very informative. I have seen crags in the river blackwater in n. Ireland on a few occasions. I wouldn't be educated on them like yourself so I couldn't tell you what type they are tbh. I also believe there to be a lot of them in different lakes were I fish for pike. Reason being there's certain lakes that I know from experience that if I'm using a deadbeat on the bottom I always popp it up a few inches of the lake bed because on numerous occasions I've been constantly puked with my bite indicators bleeping threw the day with what I believe to be crayfish nudging the baits. This also I assume could be eels but I think it's more crays. I might have to invest in a few traps and check it out and see for myself if it is crayfish. Thanks for the information......MUDD......

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting Murph. It would be something I'd like to try (the trapping then the eating) but as far as I'm aware we've only got our resident crayfish here in Ireland and I've seen some nice sized ones but as they're localised I wouldn't

dream of trapping them.

Is anyone aware of alien crayfish in Ireland?

I have a few friends that catch crayfish on a regular basis in traps in certain rivers in n. Ireland. They tell me theyre signal crayfish. I'm not one to argue with them as I wouldn't know much about that end of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...