warm weather and kitts

well the ferrets were really feeling the heat this morning, but spraying them, and the frozen bottles just was'ent enough for the jill that has kitts in the court, so she carried them all outside to the "cat hanger"

post-5267-1210434849.jpg

post-5267-1210434824.jpg

post-5267-1210434790.jpg

bit concerned that they are so high up, but were see how it goe's

well was just watching, as you do, and the other two jills came on board with her, one jill took one kitt back inside, there's about 4 inside with buster the castrated hob, then the two jills got busy, licking the kitts and general mothering, while "brenda" the mum slept, then manky and smudger, snipped hobs, climbed on board also and helped out, its certainly opening my eye's to ferret behaviour and how they are a true "family unit"

post-5267-1210439539.jpg

post-5267-1210439527.jpg

thats, buster,foxy,vixen,brenda and half a dozen kitts

Well Stubby they all look totally relaxed & its certainly something to debate in the future , i think theres basically a lack off information out there about this type of ''family unit'' simply because no ones ever chanced leaving in the hobs & people have always sperated there ferrets

Certainly all look happy & content to me :thumbs:

Nice pics Stubby & happy families can,t be bad :good:

Stubby just an observation mate and i don't want to upset anyone but if you made a proper hole in that nest box and maybe took the lid off they might stay in there.If it was so hot why would they all crowd into one bed,maybe not suitable beds?That hob would have a job getting into a 2 1/2" hole never being dragged in, the female looks an average size 7" around her rib cage which would have made her tummy 10 to 11" before she had her kits :whistling:

As i said just an observation.

Nice pics Stubby & happy families can,t be bad :good:

Stubby just an observation mate and i don't want to upset anyone but if you made a proper hole in that nest box and maybe took the lid off they might stay in there.If it was so hot why would they all crowd into one bed,maybe not suitable beds?That hob would have a job getting into a 2 1/2" hole never being dragged in, the female looks an average size 7" around her rib cage which would have made her tummy 10 to 11" before she had her kits :whistling:

As i said just an observation.

I presume your referring to a post I left a while back, quoting a two and half inch hole, as I wasent in a position to run out and measure it at the time para, prehaps its 3" but you'll have to trust me, its a proper hole that ANY ferret can get through,and yes the lid was off the internal box and plenty of sleeping area's, the reason I presume they were all crowded in, as you put it, is theres a nice wind that blows through the outside court,again you'll have to trust me on that one, as for "brenda" what can I say, I aint a vet and aint going to start arguing about the amount she may or maynot be able to carry inside her, was only saying to the missus today, how she's changed in apperance, before she was the spitting image of "smudger" her brother, and only slightly smaller than him, a bit like a "geeza bird" now she's a third of her size

cheers heds, (madcowz)

Well Stubby they all look totally relaxed & its certainly something to debate in the future , i think theres basically a lack off information out there about this type of ''family unit'' simply because no ones ever chanced leaving in the hobs & people have always sperated there ferrets

kay this is nothing new .... i have left hobs in with the jills plenty of times and i know many people that have done this and still do ..........

kay this is nothing new .... i have left hobs in with the jills plenty of times and i know many people that have done this and still do ..........

you have done this when the jill has young kits ,how has it worked out for you?

Mine have been sleeping outside in the run I've always left the hobs in with Jills and kits they all get on fine, I do have slepping boxes all round the court some with jill sized holes so they can get out the way of the hobs if they wish too.

The only trouble I have is between the wild caught hob and my original hob, they will fight to the dead at this time of year so need to be separated.

Ahhh how sweet :D

As for people keeping jills and kits on their own, perhaps things have happened in the past. Maybe other jills and hobs have killed kits. I can't see that it's just a myth born out of nowhere....

However, I'm quite sure some will be fine. Nothing is set in stone.

Maybe, space plays a part. Rather than a crowded hutch, there's a good sized living accommodation, so all the ferrets can be in different areas if they choose.

Anyway, whatever the reason things have worked out fine, they're all looking fab, Stubby :D