Ameirican Coursing

I was asked to help judge a two day coursing event in New Mexico this past weekend. We got to judge about 25 runs, all were registered dogs, salukis, borzoi, whippets, greyhounds. Some were desert bred salukis from the middle east and also some imported coursing line salukis from the UK. I believe I was asked because I have no breed preference or kennel affiliation, I can appreciate a good dog no matter the breed or owner. Anyway, I enjoyed myself and saw some better dog work than I had anticipated.

I still wouldn't trade any of them for my saluki x stag x coldblood bred by Dutch Salmon or my saluki x hot &cold blends from Hood, but I did get to see several that I WOULD feed, lol. A nice bunch of people from California, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Louisiana. Good to see they are trying to maintain and hopefully improve their breeds of dogs in the coursing field.

Edited by badger

I was asked to help judge a two day coursing event in New Mexico this past weekend. We got to judge about 25 runs, all were registered dogs, salukis, borzoi, whippets, greyhounds. Some were desert bred salukis from the middle east and also some imported coursing line salukis from the UK. I believe I was asked because I have no breed preference or kennel affiliation, I can appreciate a good dog no matter the breed or owner. Anyway, I enjoyed myself and saw some better dog work than I had anticipated.

I still wouldn't trade any of them for my saluki x stag x coldblood bred by Dutch Salmon or my saluki x hot &cold blends from Hood, but I did get to see several that I WOULD feed, lol. A nice bunch of people from California, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Louisiana. At least they are trying to maintain and hopefully improve their breeds of dogs in the coursing field.

I

So you got to judge with Jo-Anne and you got to see some Borzoi from our kennel.

Here are some photos from the last hunt I went to in Wyoming.

http://personal.palouse.net/valeska/wy-nov-05.html

Rey

So you got to judge with Jo-Anne and you got to see some Borzoi from our kennel.

Here are some photos from the last hunt I went to in Wyoming.

http://personal.palouse.net/valeska/wy-nov-05.html

Hi Rey, I was under David first day and Jo-Anne second day, had a great time and got to see plenty of jacks and nice dogs, in addition to a group of especially nice people and a few characters, lol. Were the dogs from your kennel the ones from Colorado? I am glad I left my dogs at home since the wind came up Sunday and blew most of east New Mexico into Texas, leaving no chance for visible coursing after the event :), Bob

Edited by badger

Hi Rey, I was under David first day and Jo-Anne second day, had a great time and got to see plenty of jacks and nice dogs, in addition to a group of especially nice people and a few characters, lol. Were the dogs from your kennel the ones from Colorado? I am glad I left my dogs at home since the wind came up Sunday and blew most of east New Mexico into Texas, leaving no chance for visible coursing after the event :), Bob

The ones from our kennel were the ones from NM. The lady that drove the mini has one from us and the others are pups out of a dog and bitch from us. Don't judge all our dogs by these, they are not our best, that's why we don't have them :)

Rey

http://personal.palouse.net/valeska/

Rey, I believe I might have met met you a dozen or so years ago. I was hunting in Wyoming and stopped to eat at the Virginian restaurant. There was a group coursing up there and I walked the gallery the next morning for fun. I saw a black and white greyhound take a jack, several whippets that ran well (louis or lewis?) and I specifically remember a big beautiful "Valeska" Borzoi. Dates and years and people are hard to remember, but some dogs are not.

bob

Rey, I believe I might have met met you a dozen or so years ago. I was hunting in Wyoming and stopped to eat at the Virginian restaurant. There was a group coursing up there and I walked the gallery the next morning for fun. I saw a black and white greyhound take a jack, several whippets that ran well (louis or lewis?) and I specifically remember a big beautiful "Valeska" Borzoi. Dates and years and people are hard to remember, but some dogs are not.

bob

It must have been me, not too many people take our dogs out hunting. The whippets would have been from Tony Lewis, he breeds some of the best coursing whippets in the states. You sound like me, it's hard to remember people and places but the dogs I never forget.

Rey

Bloody hell!...he'll be showing Poodles next!..lol...Glad you had a good time Badger!!

Your lucky i didnt bring these Cur bred pups...wouldnt have been a hare left for anyone elses!..lol.

Badger..we killed summat with teeth the other day...not a coyote, bobcat or fox though...maybe tell you on the phone when we talk next...not ideal, and not realy proud, but the way the dogs worked made me VERY proud!...i would think a Coyote wont phase them...just got some wind of some new ground only three hours from me...i will check it out soon.

All the best..say hi to the wife for me...

Kye,..

Guest Robbie Morran

Do u no how the dogs from the uk were bred , would be intresting to no

cheers.........

it must be a secret :clapper:

some nice pics there guys , do you never run them single handed ?

[/quote

Ah doubled up , must be Nuttal bred , Snowy stuff.... :oops: :11:

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you had a good time with the field coursing group down there. Jack numbers are up this year in

Wyoming and have a few trips planned for the Shirley Basin area with the stop at the old Virginian Hotel to run these Stags I have. Enjoyed reading your commentary on the greyhound bashing these other people seem to get into. Our mutual friend Herb has had a number of excellent hounds from the track. One little bitch in particular he told me about was fairly small. About 55 lbs. Could run like the wind and not hurt herself. Would grab the coyote by the top of the skull and then start to pull it back to the truck. He loved hunting her and she gave him a number of years of great sport running coyotes.

Hi Bob,

Sounds like you had a good time with the field coursing group down there. Jack numbers are up this year in

Wyoming and have a few trips planned for the Shirley Basin area with the stop at the old Virginian Hotel to run these Stags I have. Enjoyed reading your commentary on the greyhound bashing these other people seem to get into. Our mutual friend Herb has had a number of excellent hounds from the track. One little bitch in particular he told me about was fairly small. About 55 lbs. Could run like the wind and not hurt herself. Would grab the coyote by the top of the skull and then start to pull it back to the truck. He loved hunting her and she gave him a number of years of great sport running coyotes.

Herb knows dogs, that says it all. I wish I was half the hunter he is

Do u no how the dogs from the uk were bred , would be intresting to no

cheers.........

it must be a secret :clapper:

some nice pics there guys , do you never run them single handed ?

[/quote

he would have to shot you if he told you :secret: :haha: so do you run them single handed ?