ive just started making snares,i successfully made 20 this afternoon and have sited them on some hedrow runs,i only put 6 out for a first attempt. anyhow a while back i aquired a fab bit of kit for twistingthe wires together,i had seen one on a snare making dvd,originally it was a hand crank bench grinder,my ol man recons circa 1900,with a bit of a tinker i attatched a cup hook on the shaft ,it has a ratio of 11 : 1 and i turn it 4 times per snare. ;)

anyone else use one of these?

DSC00719.jpg

now the weather is supposed to dryer and warmer the car boot sales are back on you can sometimes find these old stone grinders in the tool stalls and covert them easily enough just keep looking they are handy for spinning the wires and are really fast as opposed to hand spinning with a weight ,glenn showed me this method of the winder years ago couldnt do with out it now :good:

rolf you could use a fishing reel, bobnets showed me one he made up using a fishing reel, he took the spool off , and there is a metal bar stiking out, i think he welded a hook on to that.

and its the same principle 1 turn = many revalutions becuase of the gears in the reel. ;)

rolf you could use a fishing reel, bobnets showed me one he made up using a fishing reel, he took the spool off , and there is a metal bar stiking out, i think he welded a hook on to that.

and its the same principle 1 turn = many revalutions becuase of the gears in the reel. ;)

Good idea...........i will look into that.........cheers mate.

Good idea...........i will look into that.........cheers mate.

You can use a Breast Drill. You can find them now cheap enough.

ive just started making snares,i successfully made 20 this afternoon and have sited them on some hedrow runs,i only put 6 out for a first attempt. anyhow a while back i aquired a fab bit of kit for twistingthe wires together,i had seen one on a snare making dvd,originally it was a hand crank bench grinder,my ol man recons circa 1900,with a bit of a tinker i attatched a cup hook on the shaft ,it has a ratio of 11 : 1 and i turn it 4 times per snare. ;)

anyone else use one of these?

DSC00719.jpg

Just the job that is fish, I used to use a single action twister made from welding wire and wood, now I use a foot pedal controlled sewing machine motor. I do still hanker after one of those you have though, the sewing machine motor is very fickle. It sort of buzzes as you push the pedal and nothing moves, then whoosh.

I owe Geordie on here a sale, as when I was looking for cheaper snare wire, I got pointed in his direction and he sent me some excellent samples, and I'll get round to getting something.

One question, how do you deal with the other end of the snare. I have been making them like bought snares albeit 22 1/2" long. I twist the wire round the eyelet, then take it round a pin or nail 22 1/2" away, then round the pin and eylet till I have 6 strands then spin the wire behind the eyelet to finish. I see by Glenns and Woodgas snares that they are just spun without the finish at the eye. In fact an underspun eyelet is looked for to allow adjustment. I could imagine just wrapping the wire round two nails then cutting one end with nippers as thats how a gamekeeper friend does it.

Edited by ianrob
put a pic up , bob nets show how you put the hook on ;)

Here you go mate some pics, you take the spool off and bolt in a block of wood with a hook on, this reel is 1 turn of the handle equals 6 rotations of the spool, i find 10 turns of the handle makes me a decent wire.

post-2720-1210008947_thumb.jpg

post-2720-1210008971_thumb.jpg

post-2720-1210008995_thumb.jpg

post-2720-1210009018_thumb.jpg

post-2720-1210009047_thumb.jpg

One question, how do you deal with the other end of the snare. I have been making them like bought snares albeit 22 1/2" long. I twist the wire round the eyelet, then take it round a pin or nail 22 1/2" away, then round the pin and eylet till I have 6 strands then spin the wire behind the eyelet to finish. I see by Glenns and Woodgas snares that they are just spun without the finish at the eye. In fact an underspun eyelet is looked for to allow adjustment. I could imagine just wrapping the wire round two nails then cutting one end with nippers as thats how a gamekeeper friend does it.

the uther end i just wist into a small loop and attatch to a streng and peg,or direct to a tealer!