My new shooting lease - 7 duck ponds & Forest

Guest david1976

Guest david1976

I have just taken on a sporting lease for a 570 acre forest that has seven existing duck ponds on it.

I went up for a look last week and of the 7 ponds, 5 had 3 pairs on, 1 had 5 pairs on and the other had 3 ducks on it. The ponds have not been fed for ages prior to my visit.

I will start to feed this about August time to try and draw more in and hopefully it could be quite good for the shooting. There are no other ponds for a good couple of miles round it so im hoping the ducks will stay when they come.

I took the lease on for the stalking and fox shooting thats there with the ducks being a bit of extra fun. I'm thinking of starting a wee syndicate for a few shoots a year.

My question is this, what is the going rate for a gun in a duck syndicate? It is all mallard from what i have seen.

Just interested as i dont want to open this up to loads of people or it will get shot to bits but i want to know what people would pay so i can calculate feed cost etc and see if it's worth it. It's a totally non profit thing for me so i just need to see if the sums would add up and not leave me overdrawn!

Cheers

Well done my friend that is a really good result.

Can I ask you how you came about knowing about the lease as our club is trying to do something similar and we have put our name down with the forestry commision in case any land/woodland comes up for lease in our area. If you were a little closer I would love to help out. I can't really help with the price of duck shooting on ponds but I know someone who puts 200 duck on a pond and charges 6 guns £65 each drives the ducks off the pond and they get shot when they come back in. He stops the bag at 50 ducks.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

How did you get on forming a syndicate? As I have been struggling to get a decent amount of land I might want to go down the syndicate route instead, not so much for being actively involved in rearing pheasants more for pigeon, foxing, wildfowling etc.

Regards

Dave