Fox Reported - On My Patch?!

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Now, as any of ye who move ye eyes about the forum a bit will know, it hasn't been a very good week for me or some of my friends. In fact, following what happened there (If ye don't know, don't ask. It's burying itself in General) I just haven't had the where with all to write. Which is a shame because, the latter half of monday became quite an adventure and part of that adventure was running into Noel who told me he'd seen a fox, large as life, sitting bang in the middle of one of Pat's fields. Effectively, two or three hundred yards from this bloody chair!

Well, I've been on this land gone two years now, and I scour it and peer and sniff into it's every nook, crannie and crease. There are no foxes on this ground. That is with the exception of a single I saw - probably about this time, actually? - last year. That was sighted from the road, down in one of Pat's fields. That one just never presented a shot at all and kept moving, regardless of a squeak from me. Now I'm being reliably informed one's moved in? Well; Bloody shame I was drowning my sorrows and in no frame of mind to do a thing about it!

Tuesday rather went right out the window then. But today I had to go into town and stock up. I had a Guinness during the course of the afternoon and cracked a can when I got home and had fed the Dogs. Then I went for a lay down. Guinness, dinner, everything. I was just ready to recharge myself a bit. And what a lovely lay down I had too!

Snapped back to full conciousness and with that conciousness came a new one: That's what was niggling me. For some completely irrational. Totally illogical and stupidly inexplicable reason, I had this buzz in my head that I had to " Get one for Lady " :blink:

Yeah. I know. And they let me hold a high velocity rifle? Well, there ye go. I couldn't rest any more tonight than I've been able to since monday. I had to 'Do Something'. I had to somehow redress a balance thrown out when my little friend went under that motor. And I determined that I'd do it tonight.

Usual drill then. Me treading lightly up the track, rifle held army style (Ye know; Alough I'm in the pitch black middle of nowhere, I still have a constant urge to apologise to the night for my appearance? I've seen enough blokes on news footage of yesteryear. Rifles held just as I hold mine. Walking slowly and ever alert. Turning in their stride to look all around them. In another mans land. Only I'm wearing a scruffy baseball cap on my head. Anyway .....) Nothing happening, of course. In fact, I was just thinking back to my first few outings. Then there seemed to be a pair of eyes peering out of every hedge! Cows and cats, mainly. I never knew which cat was which in those days though.

Up onto the road and it's turn the rifle round and hold it plainly by unnatural parts as a motor pulled down off Noels drive and another came up the road towards us. One of the taxi drivers gave me a nod as he, presumably, headed down to The Idiot's place. Who ever came out of Noels passed me and went on into the farmyard down the road. I turned the other way and began searching the sweeping basin of fields to my left.

First field's just a paddock. I flicked it over on principle. Next field, right below Noels place, is quite big. And f*ck me if, twenty yards into it and to my right, there wasn't a pair of yellow eyes! :icon_eek: As racing commentators have said since time immemorial; " And They're Off! " Away this f*ckin thing went, without hesitation! Vrooomm!

I've kept the light on him and clearly saw that this was indeed a fox. No mistaking this bugger. Fairly a flying fox too, I'm sorry to say. He went down that field at full belt, reached the hedge and never hesitated. Sharp left turn a hare wouldn't have sneared at and he was still going like a train towards the gateless opening below me and just to my left. I gave a squeak but might as well have been asking him the time.

Then, in the gateway, he stopped. Somewhere in all that addrenaline soaked, too fast, going to rat shit before my eyesness, I seem to have popped the 'scope covers open and was now standing, sixty yards above a real, live fox who was standing there, hesitating. And I was holding a loaded rifle. Well; What's a man to do?

Without another concious thought, I shouldered The Beast, got the cross hair on him and watched everything in the 'scope turn yellowy white as the - surprisingly and pleasently low level - report issued. I swear on my my life: I can't for the life of me remember cocking that damn hammer back!

Of course, when I looked again, he was gone. I almost didn't mind too much. It had been a 'rush' going for the live shot. I'd given it my best and it was a damn tricky situation. I could see he'd only been hesitating in that gate way. And his nose was inches from the other side of the hedge and bank to his right. If I'd hesitated myself, even for a split second, he'd have vanished anyway, unsaluted and would have left me deflated and kicking myself. My mood even more vile that it has been.

Anyway, I'd tried. And, as I breathed the clear night air and became again more aware of what else was going on around me, the motor returned from the farm and went back up Noels drive. On impulse, maybe hoping it was Noel, with who I could share my story, I stepped over and followed it.

Turns out it had been his daughter. I don't know what she'd been up to, but his wife came out and I cheerfully gave her my explanation of the event, just in case they'd heard the shot and were wondering. I also hoped to earn at least as much further good will as showing myself to be 'On The Case' with this reported fox as a missed shot could get me. I did say it was a snapped, free standing shot. And that my rifle's a Beast and heavy thing.

She was cheery enough. Seemed quite impressed that I was out 'so late' (about 23:00?) and I left her with the promise that I'd do what one has to do - I'd go along to the gate and trudge my way down to that opening. Just to make the point of looking behind the hedge. As one should. (I just managed not to pitch in; " Unless Noel might be down that way tomorrow ....? " It's a bit of a f*cking slog, down across two fields to that bloody gateway! In the dark it's a Hell of a slog!)

Walked up to where Lady ..... Had a forlorn shine and turned back. I knew which gate to take and what route to follow. Figuring nothing else alive would be on these fields for a while I just left the lamp on and made an easier job of it. Of course, the field was quite empty. I did ask myself, half jokingly, 'Why can't I make out a shape. Suddenly see two still, yellow eyes staring back at me?'. Never mind. I'd enjoyed the sport. I'd at least found my fox and got a shot off at him. Played for too. One of these days :yes:

Then I was eight feet from him and remember distinctly breathing; " Ye f*ckin' Kidding me!!! " :icon_eek:

The 43g Hollow Point had shattered his front leg at the top and the force of the shot had knocked him two foot back. I think I might have gone an inch or two lower than where I'd have pointed a pencil at a diagram? I put that down to the fact that I was firing waaayyy down into the basin. Anyway, the round did what it said on the tin. " The Beast ", my NEF Handy Rifle .22 Hornet didn't let me down. And, of course, because he was standing side on, slightly over to my left and facing to my right? I don't think Christian Barnard, let alone Gaviscon could do much about what that explosion in his chest cavity must have done for his heart!

Did I march straight back up to Noels place, to show them? Ye f*ckin bet I did! I wasn't going to let That moment slip by and wasted!

I feel relaxed again now. First time in three days. I Got One; For Lady!

Another truly excellent read Ditch,

No sooner is the book published, I will be getting a copy!

Im glad some sort of redress of grievance was in order, I just google searched youre rifle , very good looking and interesting piece of kit.

Lots of great detail, I felt as if I were walking next to you, got a picture of the land in my head and its nice to hear of the Hornet being put to good use.

Keep up with regular reports,

Regards

SS

One for Lady!

Now, as any of ye who move ye eyes about the forum a bit will know, it hasn't been a very good week for me or some of my friends. In fact, following what happened there (If ye don't know, don't ask. It's burying itself in General) I just haven't had the where with all to write. Which is a shame because, the latter half of monday became quite an adventure and part of that adventure was running into Noel who told me he'd seen a fox, large as life, sitting bang in the middle of one of Pat's fields. Effectively, two or three hundred yards from this bloody chair!

Well, I've been on this land gone two years now, and I scour it and peer and sniff into it's every nook, crannie and crease. There are no foxes on this ground. That is with the exception of a single I saw - probably about this time, actually? - last year. That was sighted from the road, down in one of Pat's fields. That one just never presented a shot at all and kept moving, regardless of a squeak from me. Now I'm being reliably informed one's moved in? Well; Bloody shame I was drowning my sorrows and in no frame of mind to do a thing about it!

Tuesday rather went right out the window then. But today I had to go into town and stock up. I had a Guinness during the course of the afternoon and cracked a can when I got home and had fed the Dogs. Then I went for a lay down. Guinness, dinner, everything. I was just ready to recharge myself a bit. And what a lovely lay down I had too!

Snapped back to full conciousness and with that conciousness came a new one: That's what was niggling me. For some completely irrational. Totally illogical and stupidly inexplicable reason, I had this buzz in my head that I had to " Get one for Lady " :blink:

Yeah. I know. And they let me hold a high velocity rifle? Well, there ye go. I couldn't rest any more tonight than I've been able to since monday. I had to 'Do Something'. I had to somehow redress a balance thrown out when my little friend went under that motor. And I determined that I'd do it tonight.

Usual drill then. Me treading lightly up the track, rifle held army style (Ye know; Alough I'm in the pitch black middle of nowhere, I still have a constant urge to apologise to the night for my appearance? I've seen enough blokes on news footage of yesteryear. Rifles held just as I hold mine. Walking slowly and ever alert. Turning in their stride to look all around them. In another mans land. Only I'm wearing a scruffy baseball cap on my head. Anyway .....) Nothing happening, of course. In fact, I was just thinking back to my first few outings. Then there seemed to be a pair of eyes peering out of every hedge! Cows and cats, mainly. I never knew which cat was which in those days though.

Up onto the road and it's turn the rifle round and hold it plainly by unnatural parts as a motor pulled down off Noels drive and another came up the road towards us. One of the taxi drivers gave me a nod as he, presumably, headed down to The Idiot's place. Who ever came out of Noels passed me and went on into the farmyard down the road. I turned the other way and began searching the sweeping basin of fields to my left.

First field's just a paddock. I flicked it over on principle. Next field, right below Noels place, is quite big. And f*ck me if, twenty yards into it and to my right, there wasn't a pair of yellow eyes! :icon_eek: As racing commentators have said since time immemorial; " And They're Off! " Away this f*ckin thing went, without hesitation! Vrooomm!

I've kept the light on him and clearly saw that this was indeed a fox. No mistaking this bugger. Fairly a flying fox too, I'm sorry to say. He went down that field at full belt, reached the hedge and never hesitated. Sharp left turn a hare wouldn't have sneared at and he was still going like a train towards the gateless opening below me and just to my left. I gave a squeak but might as well have been asking him the time.

Then, in the gateway, he stopped. Somewhere in all that addrenaline soaked, too fast, going to rat shit before my eyesness, I seem to have popped the 'scope covers open and was now standing, sixty yards above a real, live fox who was standing there, hesitating. And I was holding a loaded rifle. Well; What's a man to do?

Without another concious thought, I shouldered The Beast, got the cross hair on him and watched everything in the 'scope turn yellowy white as the - surprisingly and pleasently low level - report issued. I swear on my my life: I can't for the life of me remember cocking that damn hammer back!

Of course, when I looked again, he was gone. I almost didn't mind too much. It had been a 'rush' going for the live shot. I'd given it my best and it was a damn tricky situation. I could see he'd only been hesitating in that gate way. And his nose was inches from the other side of the hedge and bank to his right. If I'd hesitated myself, even for a split second, he'd have vanished anyway, unsaluted and would have left me deflated and kicking myself. My mood even more vile that it has been.

Anyway, I'd tried. And, as I breathed the clear night air and became again more aware of what else was going on around me, the motor returned from the farm and went back up Noels drive. On impulse, maybe hoping it was Noel, with who I could share my story, I stepped over and followed it.

Turns out it had been his daughter. I don't know what she'd been up to, but his wife came out and I cheerfully gave her my explanation of the event, just in case they'd heard the shot and were wondering. I also hoped to earn at least as much further good will as showing myself to be 'On The Case' with this reported fox as a missed shot could get me. I did say it was a snapped, free standing shot. And that my rifle's a Beast and heavy thing.

She was cheery enough. Seemed quite impressed that I was out 'so late' (about 23:00?) and I left her with the promise that I'd do what one has to do - I'd go along to the gate and trudge my way down to that opening. Just to make the point of looking behind the hedge. As one should. (I just managed not to pitch in; " Unless Noel might be down that way tomorrow ....? " It's a bit of a f*cking slog, down across two fields to that bloody gateway! In the dark it's a Hell of a slog!)

Walked up to where Lady ..... Had a forlorn shine and turned back. I knew which gate to take and what route to follow. Figuring nothing else alive would be on these fields for a while I just left the lamp on and made an easier job of it. Of course, the field was quite empty. I did ask myself, half jokingly, 'Why can't I make out a shape. Suddenly see two still, yellow eyes staring back at me?'. Never mind. I'd enjoyed the sport. I'd at least found my fox and got a shot off at him. Played for too. One of these days :yes:

Then I was eight feet from him and remember distinctly breathing; " Ye f*ckin' Kidding me!!! " :icon_eek:

The 43g Hollow Point had shattered his front leg at the top and the force of the shot had knocked him two foot back. I think I might have gone an inch or two lower than where I'd have pointed a pencil at a diagram? I put that down to the fact that I was firing waaayyy down into the basin. Anyway, the round did what it said on the tin. " The Beast ", my NEF Handy Rifle .22 Hornet didn't let me down. And, of course, because he was standing side on, slightly over to my left and facing to my right? I don't thing Christian Barnard, let alone Gaviscon could do much about what that explosion in his chest cavity must have done for his heart!

Did I march straight back up to Noels place, to show them? Ye f*ckin bet I did! I wasn't going to let That moment slip by and wasted!

I feel relaxed again now. First time in three days. I Got One; For Lady!

well done ditch :clapper:

good read as usual that adrenalin rush is better than any drug :whistling: when are you going to write that book?

one for lady is a fitting tribute :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: