Why foot/pounds?

The question that I am about to ask has been puzzling me for some time now. :hmm:

Why do we use Foot/Pounds as a measurement of pellet power?

As an engineer, I know Foot/Pound, (Newton/ Meters in metric), is a measurement of Torque!

WARNING GEEK STUFF BELOW! :icon_eek:

In physics, a torque is a vector that measures the tendency of a force to rotate an object about some axis (center). The magnitude of a torque is defined as force times the length of the lever arm. Just as a force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist.

The SI unit for torque is Newton meters (N m). In U.S. customary units, it is measured in foot pounds (ft/lbf) :good:

So, how can that be relevant to a pellet being projected from a muzzle of a gun? :hmm:

Surly the velocity (feet per second) is the relevant measurement, so why is Ft/Lbs still used?

It is like me measuring a length of steel and saying it’s 27degrees Celsius long!! It doesn’t make sense.

If a power measurement is needed then I think it should be Joules!

I feel better for getting that off my chest, tell me your thoughts.

Ironman :drink:

air rifles are rated in ft/lbs and joules.............i think but dont quote me 12 ft lbs = 15 joules.

i know it dosn't answer your question but m sure someone will offer more info in due course.

all the best

sean

As an engineer, I know Foot/Pound, (Newton/ Meters in metric), is a measurement of Torque!

If a power measurement is needed then I think it should be Joules!

But isn't 1 Joule the same as 1 Newton/Meter? And aren't ft/lb, joules and N/M all measurements of translational kinetic energy?

I can see my error in thinking ft/lbs only being tortional energy :wallbash:

Here is the wikipedia definition of a Joule:

"One joule is the work done, or energy expended, by a force of one newton moving one meter along the direction of the force. This quantity is also denoted as a newton metre with the symbol N/m. Note that torque also has the same units as work, but the quantities are not the same. "

Cheers to all :drink:

ironman.