here are the basic instructions to make yourself a reliable cage trap that works well :good: first i have some 3 by1inch mesh 1 x 1 will also work cut 21 ins long x 29 ins wide

DSCF0065.jpg

next bend the actual shape of the trap using a couple of battens to hold the wire and bend it around them to get square edges i have a bender so its a bit more simple for me

here is the basic trap shape and the door and foot plate also made out of scrap mesh

DSCF0068.jpg

the door fitted and the foot plate is in place along with the back end of the trap

DSCF0069.jpg

i have fitted the release bar made fronm 2.5 mm gav wire

DSCF0071.jpg

the door locks are made from sprung banding wire that you normally find around bricks or timber the door swings down i have left prongs on the bottom of the door to stop the door from swinging straight trough hitting the wire allowing the door to close then springs back up locking the door simple and effective

DSCF0072.jpg

the finished cage with some smaller mesh arond the back end to stop, the squirrel reaching in and having the bait

good hunting lads hope you can follow the general principal of this trap :thumbs:

Well I can't understand why there haven't been any posts on this :no:

Great article Woodga - clear simple instructions. I have to say I'm impressed with banding spring lock. Good idea that. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

wel it done the job mate,i am guessing from the photo that it just works at a 45 angle and the squirrel simply pushes the door open ,i if this is how it works made a few box traps out of wood this way,they do work but ii have found that if you dont get to them within a few hours of the squirrel being in there they can edge the door open,i have had this happen in wire traps and also wooden ones,but like you said it simple and it works

• 1 month later...

post-18895-1216567941.jpg

my trap

quick and simple trap well done john!!!!!!!!! Quick tip to save you lads loads of time, i see your all secureing your sides together with wire..

you can buy thousands of small cable ties for pennies try em, very quick to put together and take apart. The big panels on my kennel are secured with them,saves hours with nuts and bolts

• 3 weeks later...

I've been making a couple of traps today and i wondered if anyone had tried this....? I know the trapping method works as it is but i was thinking, maybe if you fit two magnets that will stick together to the trap.. One on the bottom of the doorflap and one on the bottom of the cage where the door wants to stop. I'd imagine they'd be strong enough to add that extra security to the door (which would maybe stop another squirrel opening the flap?), i'll smash the fridge magnets up tomorrow and see.

Chris

hi woodga,

nice thread, just one question, what keeps the door locked when the door goes down, maybe im just missing something simple,

cheers

can some one please explain to me the door spring, maybe a close up as im not sure what the spring is cheers

right, its simple, look at woodga's last picture, 2 cages, bottom cage, door is postitioned on the left, you can see it slightly open, look at the base, see those shiney bits of flat metal, its the banding you'll see around pallets of bricks, its simply cut to length, folded around the mesh, and has a tongue left on it, the door swings down shut, going over the tongue, but on opening, you'd have to depress both tongues,

I've yet to figure out a better option than that, but I 'd be a bit worried as it seems you'd have to insert a finger through the mesh, to depress each tongue, with your angry squirrel inside, unless you "pop" him first