zeroing scopes

Hi people, im just about to buy a .22 air rifle but iv'e no idea what magnification scopes to buy or how to easily zero them, iv'e seen some massive scopes that look cool, like they're off a sniper or summat, but dont wanna rush into buying them cos iv'e got no idea how practical they'll be Its my intention to hunt stuff and need to know what range you can kill something at. Im new to all this lark and a bit skint so could replies be jargon free with budget in mind. Any help will be much appreciated, cheers.

Dwatson

Hi people, im just about to buy a .22 air rifle but iv'e no idea what magnification scopes to buy or how to easily zero them, iv'e seen some massive scopes that look cool, like they're off a sniper or summat, but dont wanna rush into buying them cos iv'e got no idea how practical they'll be Its my intention to hunt stuff and need to know what range you can kill something at. Im new to all this lark and a bit skint so could replies be jargon free with budget in mind. Any help will be much appreciated, cheers.

Dwatson

ive got a simmons 3x9x50 scope, its fairly standard, does the job.

Best thing is to go to your local dealer and ask for their advice.

You should be looking to hit things about 40-50yrds MAX with an air rifle. Another good idea would be to take a trip to your local shooting range and ask some advice. See if you can have a go with a few if someone will let you!

Hope you find the one you like.

H

HELLO MATE...............GOOD ADVICE FROM GRASSHOPPER

YOUR SCOPE NEEDS TO BE NO BIGGER THAN SAY A 3 -9 X 50 FOR GENERAL HUNTING.

OR A DECENT FIXED 4 X 40 WOULD EASILY BE A GOOD STARTING POINT.

TRY AND GET OUT IN THE FIELD WITH SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME AND TROUBLE.

READ UP AND STUDY PLENTY........LOADS OF GREAT BOOKS AND MAGS OUT THERE

READ THROUGH THE FORUM...........MOST QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ASKED AND VERY WELL ANSWERED.

WELCOME TO THE SPORT MATE AND GOOD LUCK.

HELLO MATE...............GOOD ADVICE FROM GRASSHOPPER

YOUR SCOPE NEEDS TO BE NO BIGGER THAN SAY A 3 -9 X 50 FOR GENERAL HUNTING.

OR A DECENT FIXED 4 X 40 WOULD EASILY BE A GOOD STARTING POINT.

TRY AND GET OUT IN THE FIELD WITH SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME AND TROUBLE.

READ UP AND STUDY PLENTY........LOADS OF GREAT BOOKS AND MAGS OUT THERE

READ THROUGH THE FORUM...........MOST QUESTIONS HAVE BEEN ASKED AND VERY WELL ANSWERED.

WELCOME TO THE SPORT MATE AND GOOD LUCK.

Nice one guys, iv just been browsing through the site n found a load of useful stuff. A bit gutted, im forking out £190 for rifle iv'e never heard of just cos i could have it on lay-away, a 'B.A.M' i think its called. Oh well, im still looking forward to getting out with it an getting some experience, i suppose if it turns out to be crap i'll naturally evolve out of using it and this sites provided enough info about weirauch's and B.S.A's should i need to upgrade. I'll try to keep you updated how it works out anyway. Thanks for the info guys.

ive always bought hawke scopes

last 1 i had was a 3x9x50 milldot with the light up recticle but to be honest it wasnt much better than a 3x9x40 with a normal 30/30 recticle .

the light up recticle on a low setting helped a bit in the last 10 minutes before dusk tho.

im just about to order a cheapie off ebay either a tasco or maybe a smk ill do a write up when ive shot a few rabbits with it. :thumbs:

ive always bought hawke scopes

last 1 i had was a 3x9x50 milldot with the light up recticle but to be honest it wasnt much better than a 3x9x40 with a normal 30/30 recticle .

the light up recticle on a low setting helped a bit in the last 10 minutes before dusk tho.

im just about to order a cheapie off ebay either a tasco or maybe a smk ill do a write up when ive shot a few rabbits with it. :thumbs:

hello digga..just got a 3-9 x 50 illuminated mil dot scope.......its a richter optik and it's awesome

it was £56 inc mounts!!

worth a look mate

hello mate

im a new and keen hunter myself

i bought a gamo shadow matic - £160

and a nice little 4X28 SMK scope off ebay - £19 inc p&p

with my 4X28 scope i can easily kill a pigeon at 70 - 80 with clean headshot.

check it out, might just be perfect for you.

ebay is a very good place for scopes and air rifle accessories

cheap, good quality and effeciant

cheers buddy

laters

G'day mate, a 4x40 will be perfect to start with, a lot of the cheaper variables change their point of aim (POI) when you change the magnification, so until you gain some experience, best to stick with a fixed power job. Try and buy it from the same place you are getting your rifle from and ask them to mount the scope and boresight it.

Have fun

hello mate

im a new and keen hunter myself

i bought a gamo shadow matic - £160

and a nice little 4X28 SMK scope off ebay - £19 inc p&p

with my 4X28 scope i can easily kill a pigeon at 70 - 80 with clean headshot.

check it out, might just be perfect for you.

for your first post your stretching the range a bit :whistling: a good shot with a rimfire never mind a low budget airifle fitted with a cheap 4 x28 scope :tongue2: keep dreaming son :laugh:

You should be looking to hit things about 40-50yrds MAX with an air rifle. Another good idea would be to take a trip to your local shooting range and ask some advice. See if you can have a go with a few if someone will let you!

H

I certainly concur with advice about local dealers. A good dealer will give sound advice and may have 2nd hand trade ins for those new to this sport.

I would however take serious issue with any recommendation at shooting "things" (presumably rabbits, squirrels, pigeon, etc) at this range with an air rifle. Good hunters go for headshots only. Consistent accuracy at rabbits heads at 50 yds is speculative and runs the grave risk of wounding. And that is not what we are about. You will find on most forums offer advice for the 30yd - 35 yd max and that is what I practice too. (Even with my AA S410 with BenTaylor Regulator rated at bunny killing at 50yds)

To understand the issues try placing a coffe cup on its side (so you're looking at the top) then walk back 50 paces and you'll soon see how small it becomes and why good bunny bashers stay in the 30-35 yd range. Then try the same with a 50p pice for a squirrels head and a £2 coin for a pigeons head and you will hopefully realise the why people give this advice.

Welcome to the sport. I wish you well.

Bobba

H

I certainly concur with advice about local dealers. A good dealer will give sound advice and may have 2nd hand trade ins for those new to this sport.

I would however take serious issue with any recommendation at shooting "things" (presumably rabbits, squirrels, pigeon, etc) at this range with an air rifle. Good hunters go for headshots only. Consistent accuracy at rabbits heads at 50 yds is speculative and runs the grave risk of wounding. And that is not what we are about. You will find on most forums offer advice for the 30yd - 35 yd max and that is what I practice too. (Even with my AA S410 with BenTaylor Regulator rated at bunny killing at 50yds)

To understand the issues try placing a coffe cup on its side (so you're looking at the top) then walk back 50 paces and you'll soon see how small it becomes and why good bunny bashers stay in the 30-35 yd range. Then try the same with a 50p pice for a squirrels head and a £2 coin for a pigeons head and you will hopefully realise the why people give this advice.

Welcome to the sport. I wish you well.

Bobba

Fair enough, sounds like a good plan with the cup idea. Its amazing how sometimes we underestimate distances!

Good post.

A while back I knew a guy who was desperate to sell his 3-9x50 scope. He was selling it for around £35! Good value, but deals like that are hard to find. Nitrogen filled aswell.

ello, guys. my new rifle's a BAM B40, iv read a few people slating chinese rifles but iv also seen good reviews of this particular one and would appreciate your opinions. oh and does anyone know if it needs or could accommodate a silencer?