Airedale pup from Redline working lines

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the intended quarry for the Airedale?

I want to train her for the shooting field for picking up, but her main job, I hope, will be to flush to the gun and retrieve foxes. Her temperament isn't totally terrier, as she is a very thinking pup and so far very easy to train.

Re height: her dad is about 24 1/2 - 25" at the shoulder, her dam slightly smaller, though I think this pup will make a decent size by the amount of bone she has: plus a skin a size too large: always a good indication that the pup has a lot of growing to do.

So far I'm very pleased with her, already steady with the ferrets, cat and chickens, and always sniffing down rabbit holes. OK so she's never going to be fast enough to catch a rabbit, but for a dog that will work heavy cover in places where I can't let my little terriers loose she will be ideal.

i can see a type of hound in her skycat???? do ye think its a bit of a throw back??

Airdales were created using the black and tan terrier and Otterhound. Supposedly both English and Irish Setter went into the make up too, along with a dash of Scottish Collie and Bull Terrier. Who knows exactly. I only know what I've read up on them. Here's a couple of links to the history of the Airedale.http://www.barkbytes.com/history/airdal.htm

http://redline-airedale.com/index.e.htm

here is a pic of the male and female

post-4522-1208629400_thumb.jpg

and one of a male pup that i kept

post-4522-1208629242_thumb.jpg

oldskool

the dogs in the pics that have been put up are all redline airedales that are slicks (shortcoated) this type of dog has always been about odd one's have turned up in litters for years but were always put down by breeders because they did not look like what people wanted (longcoated) the only hound that was used in there development was the otterhound

Ian

HI Ian: I'm glad you put that pic up: I just so love Stretch's head and eye (the smooth sire) but I really loved the dam too: beautiful character and temperament. My little darling has just mastered a difficult set of open steps, a high plank bridge over a river and more steep steps the other side. She barely hesitated, just watched the other dogs go over first, then followed carefully, no whining no fuss or "I can't"! I just love her attitude to everything: she's even trying to jump into the van although it's way to high for her yet. She wants to try everything new but is always thinking about stuff too: never just piling in and coming a cropper.

i'm really looking forward to see how she turns out she looks like she will be a strong female you will have to try her on all game and test her and if she do's as good as she looks we may have to meet up again in a few years LOL ,she will want to be out with you all the time later the only problem you will have is that they dont get tired

Ian