I dont give cows milk to any of my dogs as it gives them slight diarhea!! So I decided to read up on cows milk and its affects on dogs. Below is an extract from a website that I thought some of you may be interested in:

Few dog owners know that most dogs tend to be lactose intolerant. This means that they lack the enzyme beta lactamase, which allows the digestive system to break down the kind of sugar contained in milk.

Dogs that lack this enzyme end up with a lot of undigested sugar in their intestinal tract, which creates a wonderful breeding environment for bacteria. When a lot of bacteria grows in the intestinal tract it can irritate the stomach and intestine and cause vomiting and diarrhea. These are the same problems that occur in lactose-intolerant people.

That being said, while many dogs are lactose intolerant, some are not. Some dogs love the taste of milk and other dairy products and won't have any stomach or intestinal problems when they get some as a treat.

The bottom line is, it may be okay to give your dog a small amount of milk if it doesn't cause her any vomiting, diarrhea, or other discomfort. Check with your veterinarian first to be sure it won't cause your pooch any health problems or interfere with his diet.

Mine would drink milk..but it makes 5 out of the 7 of them loose..i give them goats milk instead which they all love and it doesnt seem to upset them, they dont get it all the time, just as a treat. A lot of dogs cant tolerate cows milk but are fine with goats.

Guest ripstop
Mine would drink milk..but it makes 5 out of the 7 of them loose..i give them goats milk instead which they all love and it doesnt seem to upset them, they dont get it all the time, just as a treat. A lot of dogs cant tolerate cows milk but are fine with goats.

Im not disagreeing redmoor, i totally agree with the stomach associated problems, but greyhound people often Clean their dogs out if looking a tad poor using brown bread and milk, and its a whole lot of runny shite in the morning, does the fibre in the brown bread help ease the problem, although being full of fibre, helping the crap to pass through less painfully and cleansing the bad bacteria.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

When I had a milking nanny goat - and not using milk myself - I used to give it to my Dogs. I must admit, I always felt it slightly 'wrong', for some undefinable reason. I think I thought they'd just get fat on it. But they all went ballistic for it and really couldn't wait for me to give it to them each night.

Looking back; They never did get fat and none of them ever showed any other signs but have having thoroughly enjoyed their naughty secret.

Thankfully, I no longer have goats so don't have to bite my lip over that guilt inducing quandry every night now.

Cows milk? I wouldn't have a clue. Don't think I've ever bought a bottle of milk for a Dog in my life. Why would I?

• 2 years later...

My partner is Lactos intolorent!

She uses Soya milk in her tea and on cereal.

Aladdin had a bit of cornflakes off me this morning and it had cows milk on them.

He enjoyed the milk I must admit and drunk it all through the cereal.

Thinking then that perhaps cows milk might not be right, I thought of the Soya milk that my missus uses.

Next time he has some, it will be Soya milk on it to try next time!

He is a Saluki, and a bit funny with his food at moment, so trying everything!

Milk is the natural food for baby mammals. When they're to young to eat anything else milk provides everything they need to grow bone, muscle, hair, skin and connective tissue. Once weaned they do eventually stop producing the enzyme required to digest lactose but lactose is only one of the ingredients in milk.

A while back I remember reading about a study designed to find the most effective rehydration drink in relation to sports performance optomisation. They tested a number of well known energy drinks, fruit juices and plain water etc. and found that nothing worked any better than milk.

Should we be surprised that we can't second guess nature?

As with everything else, moderation is the key.

Of course today we are bombarded with propaganda from eco wacko's who want to turn us all into vegans and jump on any theory to beat the livestock farmers over the head with.

I dont give cows milk to any of my dogs as it gives them slight diarhea!! So I decided to read up on cows milk and its affects on dogs. Below is an extract from a website that I thought some of you may be interested in:

Few dog owners know that most dogs tend to be lactose intolerant. This means that they lack the enzyme beta lactamase, which allows the digestive system to break down the kind of sugar contained in milk.

Dogs that lack this enzyme end up with a lot of undigested sugar in their intestinal tract, which creates a wonderful breeding environment for bacteria. When a lot of bacteria grows in the intestinal tract it can irritate the stomach and intestine and cause vomiting and diarrhea. These are the same problems that occur in lactose-intolerant people.

That being said, while many dogs are lactose intolerant, some are not. Some dogs love the taste of milk and other dairy products and won't have any stomach or intestinal problems when they get some as a treat.

The bottom line is, it may be okay to give your dog a small amount of milk if it doesn't cause her any vomiting, diarrhea, or other discomfort. Check with your veterinarian first to be sure it won't cause your pooch any health problems or interfere with his diet.

i trid cows milk on my young pup when i first got him, he just spewed it all back up, now i put some in his water and not had any problems since.