steel shot

Depending on what the gun is prooved for, the chamber length and what steel cartridges you want to fire the answer will differ.

If the gun has a steel shot proof mark and a three inch chamber, then it will shoot 3" high performance steel. The steel shot proof mark is the Fleur de Lis and a 3" proof mark will be 12x76mm.

If the gun has neither of these marks and is 2 3/4" chambered then it will be able to fire standard 2 3/4" steel cartridges through no greater than half choke(recommended by most).

All steel shot is protected all the way down the barrel by a thick wad to prevent barrel wear as much as possible.

If you can post the proof marks i can give you a more detailed answer

Regards

ss06

Depending on what the gun is prooved for, the chamber length and what steel cartridges you want to fire the answer will differ.

If the gun has a steel shot proof mark and a three inch chamber, then it will shoot 3" high performance steel. The steel shot proof mark is the Fleur de Lis and a 3" proof mark will be 12x76mm.

If the gun has neither of these marks and is 2 3/4" chambered then it will be able to fire standard 2 3/4" steel cartridges through no greater than half choke(recommended by most).

All steel shot is protected all the way down the barrel by a thick wad to prevent barrel wear as much as possible.

If you can post the proof marks i can give you a more detailed answer

Regards

ss06

Hi ss06

i have changed my mind and bought a second hand beretta 686 insted as the lamber was sold.The Beretta has full choke and i was told that this will have no problems with steel shot by the seller.I spent 300 pounds more then what i set out for but hope i made the right decision.Thanks for your reply.

Hi ss06

i have changed my mind and bought a second hand beretta 686 insted as the lamber was sold.The Beretta has full choke and i was told that this will have no problems with steel shot by the seller.I spent 300 pounds more then what i set out for but hope i made the right decision.Thanks for your reply.

Is it a 3" model? When you say the Beretta has full choke is it a fixed choke or multichoke? What are the barrels choked at/what multichokes came with it?

You have made a good decision in going for the Beretta as long as its cared for it will last forever.

I am a bit dubious about the sellers attitude towards steel shot, some steel shot can be put through more than half choke but not all. If you could answer the above questions i can tell you for definate so you dont end up with worn out barrels!

Thanks

ss06

Hi ss06

Is it a 3" model? When you say the Beretta has full choke is it a fixed choke or multichoke? What are the barrels choked at/what multichokes came with it?

You have made a good decision in going for the Beretta as long as its cared for it will last forever.

I am a bit dubious about the sellers attitude towards steel shot, some steel shot can be put through more than half choke but not all. If you could answer the above questions i can tell you for definate so you dont end up with worn out barrels!

Thanks

ss06

Hi ss06

sorry the beretta is a fixed choke not full but dont know what model it is except it is a 686.It is my first shotgun and i dont know much about shotguns yet.But always learning day by day.

We are all still learning erk,

The Beretta 686 has many different models, if i assume it is a game/sporter model then a fixed choked gun will be 1/4 and 1/2 and normally will have a 3" chamber(this will be marked on the first few inches of the barrel at the top).

If it is a three inch model you will have no trouble firing all standard steel shot. The trouble comes when you want to fire 3" High Performance steel if the gun is not proofed for it as the high performance steel works to a much higher pressure.

The High Performance steel shot mark is a Fleur de Lis, this will be marked on the barrels where the forend should be.

The marks are normally 6-9 inches from the breech of the shotgun. If you find this mark you can fire all steel shot up to 3".

If the gun is 2 3/4"(this will be in the same place as if a three inch model) then you can fire all standard steel shot up to 2 3/4".

I realise this may be confusing if you are unfamiliar with the details of shotguns.

If and when you find any marks you are unsure of or want to know what they mean then PM me and ill do my best.

All the best.

ss06

We are all still learning erk,

The Beretta 686 has many different models, if i assume it is a game/sporter model then a fixed choked gun will be 1/4 and 1/2 and normally will have a 3" chamber(this will be marked on the first few inches of the barrel at the top).

If it is a three inch model you will have no trouble firing all standard steel shot. The trouble comes when you want to fire 3" High Performance steel if the gun is not proofed for it as the high performance steel works to a much higher pressure.

The High Performance steel shot mark is a Fleur de Lis, this will be marked on the barrels where the forend should be.

The marks are normally 6-9 inches from the breech of the shotgun. If you find this mark you can fire all steel shot up to 3".

If the gun is 2 3/4"(this will be in the same place as if a three inch model) then you can fire all standard steel shot up to 2 3/4".

I realise this may be confusing if you are unfamiliar with the details of shotguns.

If and when you find any marks you are unsure of or want to know what they mean then PM me and ill do my best.

All the best.

ss06

Hi ss06

the only marks on the gun that i can see are when i remove the forend and cant see any more marks on the gun apart from serial no.

the marks are on barrel and this is what they are:-

P.Beretta Gardone VT

exelciser high strenghth alloy steel

KGL360

cam.70

thats all i can see

That means the gun is 2 3/4" or 70mm. It will fire all standard steel shot up to 70mm or 2 3/4".

18.4 is the bore size, which is .724in this is the normal bore size for a 12 bore.

my clay shoot use super steel cartridges and they told me they have plastic wads and should not damage the gun.From the info i have given you does this mean i can not fire high performance steel.Would you also know how old this gun is.You have been a great help thank you.

All steel shot designed for clay shooting can be fired through your gun with no problems as they are a light load and have a plastic wad to stop the shot coming into contact with the barrel walls.

Unfortunately, yes it does mean that the gun cannot fire high performance steel shot or 3" cartridges.

Without seeing it or the proof marks i cannot tell exactly how old it is, but it would be no more than ten years old.

They still make guns in 2 3/4 so it could be nearly new. If you want to know exactly you can contact the importers, GMK Ltd, and ask them , they can tell you from the serial number.

No problem helping other out, we are all still learning.

ss06

All steel shot designed for clay shooting can be fired through your gun with no problems as they are a light load and have a plastic wad to stop the shot coming into contact with the barrel walls.

Unfortunately, yes it does mean that the gun cannot fire high performance steel shot or 3" cartridges.

Without seeing it or the proof marks i cannot tell exactly how old it is, but it would be no more than ten years old.

They still make guns in 2 3/4 so it could be nearly new. If you want to know exactly you can contact the importers, GMK Ltd, and ask them , they can tell you from the serial number.

No problem helping other out, we are all still learning.

ss06

ss06

i have been reading a lot about shot size and load size.from the info i have given you would you know what kind of shot and load size i can use for my gun.would it differ if i am shooting game or clay?.What would you recommend.

ss06

i have been reading a lot about shot size and load size.from the info i have given you would you know what kind of shot and load size i can use for my gun.would it differ if i am shooting game or clay?.What would you recommend.

For clays yo are more than likely to be using either 24 or 28 gr 7or 7 1/2 shot. If you were to shoot game then things change a bit. The main reason you will shoot steel is for duck, i would recommend Express Hunting Steel or similar in shot size 4. This will normally be 32gr and will cleanly kill duck. I would not recommend using more than half choke with the hunting shells. If you are looking to shoot Pheasant with steel then i would recommend trying a both no. 5 and 6 shot and see what works best for you.

Cheers

ss06

p.s remember all of these must be standard steel loads.

• 3 months later...

Just came back to this section of the forum from a long absence and decided to read through some of the posts.

Sportingshooter you are a gent, it is really nice to see someone being so helpful and courteous, a long way from some of the other sections of this forum.

Well done, I hope a lot of other people have learned from your postings even if they don't say anything.

All the best

H