10 month old MB whippet

Just thought I'd put phot of our 10 month Mike brown whippet. Getting number two shortly. Have just got a lamp - any tips for novices?

Hi Claire,was he out of 'Glen' and 'Meg'? if he was then this is his sister.....................................

'Ula'.......................

DSC_0107.jpg

Guest oldskool

take her to a field where catches are made a little easier with thick hedges... i dont like starting them on squatters either because, IMO, they sometimes run ahead a little and then stand staring at the beam unable to recognise what a squatter is, sometimes they will turn to stare at you as if to say "what the feck" and then, of coarse, the rabbit pisses off on ye and the dog is lookin entirely in the wrong direction!! i prefer picking bunnies that are already on the hop!! that way the dog will learn to run down the beam easier... oh, and only give him 3 or 4 runs the first couple of nights until he starts to connect with a couple... thats just how i do it anyway... seems to work for me ;)

take her to a field where catches are made a little easier with thick hedges... i dont like starting them on squatters either because, IMO, they sometimes run ahead a little and then stand staring at the beam unable to recognise what a squatter is, sometimes they will turn to stare at you as if to say "what the feck" and then, of coarse, the rabbit pisses off on ye and the dog is lookin entirely in the wrong direction!! i prefer picking bunnies that are already on the hop!! that way the dog will learn to run down the beam easier... oh, and only give him 3 or 4 runs the first couple of nights until he starts to connect with a couple... thats just how i do it anyway... seems to work for me ;)

Thanks for the advice - we're planning a trip tomorrow night so we'll try it and see!

Hi Claire - my lamping advice would be go to somewhere that you already know during the day, somewhere you have checked for any obstacles, fences, holes, rubbish or machinery that could cause injury to your pup. You will hopefully have many years together so take it nice and easy and do not be disappointed if he's not catching. Give him a couple of runs then call it a night whether he catches or not. Good luck and enjoy your whippet - he looks a cracker.

Just thought I'd put phot of our 10 month Mike brown whippet. Getting number two shortly. Have just got a lamp - any tips for novices?

Hi Claire,was he out of 'Glen' and 'Meg'? if he was then this is his sister.....................................

'Ula'.......................

DSC_0107.jpg

Martin I'm green with envy :wub: She's really looking grand :D