Badger Management With Poison Gas

Badger Management With Poison Gas

There are now more badgers in the U.K. than red fox, and there are red fox everywhere, from downtown London to the Scottish Highlands.

With a dramatic rise in the U.K. badger population -- now estimated at more than 275,000 -- has come more outbreaks of bovine tuberculosis, which can be carried from badger to cattle.

In order to see if cows can be saved by managing down badger numbers in cattle country, the authorities have decided to do a "targeted cull" of badgers over a large section of Wales. The location of the area, and the details of the cull, have yet to be decided but terriers will not be involved; instead the badgers will be gassed in their dens.

Thank God, we do not manage wildlife this way in the U.S., otherwise we would be managing our deer population with a machine-gun rather than allowing the horror of allowing them to be hunted by licensed sportsmen who put money into the economy and who help pay for science-based game management, land aquisition, and conservation.

P. Burns

what y say on this lads?

Guest Eamon.Mc
a large spoonful of sodium cyanide and there are no more badger in the set but beware dont put your dog anywhere near it as the gas stays around for a fair while and it indiscriminate ask the jews

Something tells me you'd have difficulty finding a jew with first hand experience of the gas mate??? :sick: Not unless they were 1944 world breath holding champion.!!!!

Guest ROOSTER

point of it is to eradicate tb if you kill them in the sette you would then have to dig the sette to bits to find and test to see if the badgers have or are carrying tb if you trap snare or shoot them their is no prob

Very good coment pal

badgers in woods out the way- in the eyes of most farmers should be left be

badgers makin a mess in certain fields and giving cattle t.b.- should be moved on or culled

a terrier nipping away at a badgers arse for half an hour does not harm it.

so why doesnt defra license badger control in the non breeding season- because of the :censored: antis

what makes me spue- :sick:

99% of the :censored: anti, linda mcartney eating, got bullyed at school, tree huggin, soap dodgers who dont pay any tax think that the cruel sport of badger baiting is the same as digging them out using a terrier.

if game keepers are allowed to to controle fox why cant farmers controle badgers same it is or just let us dig them

Only problem is if dog is toe to toe with quarry he is breathing in the infection and may result in the illness transferring to him as it can jump species rarely I know but it can happen

i totally agree that fair enough if the anti s have a problem with terriers being used then the government will stick on ther side but surely the most humane sensible way would be for defra to grant licences to gamekeepers and maybe farmers to shoot badgers then record details and send off carcasses for testing then defra would have a rewal idea of where there is a tb problem rather than just eradicating areas they think has a problem.as a keeper i was asked to send fox carcasses for testing a few years back to defra .they either picked them up or paid 20 p a mile for me to deliver.this could be done with badgers to and would get the desired result

i totally agree that fair enough if the anti s have a problem with terriers being used then the government will stick on ther side but surely the most humane sensible way would be for defra to grant licences to gamekeepers and maybe farmers to shoot badgers then record details and send off carcasses for testing then defra would have a rewal idea of where there is a tb problem rather than just eradicating areas they think has a problem.as a keeper i was asked to send fox carcasses for testing a few years back to defra .they either picked them up or paid 20 p a mile for me to deliver.this could be done with badgers to and would get the desired result

What was DEFRA checking foxes for????

the use of terriers is the best way,legal way of giving us some sport,whats the point of gassing them out?i see loads of badgers when out lamping,deffinately need to reduce the numbers,they banned fox hunting with dogs but there willing to gas badgers?f**k that, use terriers or lamp and shoot