whats gone wrong?

Guest fight the ban

give him an easy slip on his own as hes already done 5 so you get to see what he does quite close up then you know whats happening, hard to except sometimes but if you see him hesitate and miss an easy chance then for me it would be game over if you have other dogs doing the business ,move on and put the time into another pup from proven parents

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest dog on
At the begining of earlie september 2007 i started to bring my 11 month old dog on. from day one hes made very fast progress and was eagar to please. ive took everything step by step making the progress from pup to dog as easy for him as i could as his confidance grew so did the size of his quarry, untill he had taken everything apart from billie wich i have no intrest in. he quickly turned out to be a reliable dog. UNTILL!! towards the end of the season i noticed a change in him i notice a lot of chances go by that should of been in the bag. then one day a deer put up he ran it a full big feild at striking distance before it hit a fence with my dog literally stood on top of it, even then my once reliable dog still did not hit it. hes now a 18month saluki/greyhound staghound/greyhound put back to a pure saluki and stands at 29". its got my head in knots, :wallbash: any one know wat i should do? :hmm:

the answer could be with the way you have been geting the dog of its prey could you tell me how and be honest

never hit my dog part from once when it snacked at my kid i normaly hold both jaws and prize them open gently

//i am not calling you a liar //we all some times get a bit exited and a bit harsh i have don it in the past .i am not on about hiting just geting a bit excited trying to stop the dog ruining the catch .my advice //for what it is worth //is like some people have all ready said put it away until next year .then if and when it catches leave it chew all it wants //but make sure prey is dispatched quick//prais dog .and after a few kills .keep taking him off any other part without to mutch force and put him on the neck and let him enjoy him self do this and the dog will get to know .//it is a tryed and tested method //.good luck

Guest fight the ban
give him an easy slip on his own as hes already done 5 so you get to see what he does quite close up then you know whats happening, hard to except sometimes but if you see him hesitate and miss an easy chance then for me it would be game over if you have other dogs doing the business ,move on and put the time into another pup from proven parents

i think your right but its goin to kill me cause ive put that much extra into this one ill still keep him no matter what my dogs are for life

Guest fight the ban

i think your right but its goin to kill me cause ive put that much extra into this one ill still keep him no matter what my dogs are for life

we not talking about fixing it im talking about what you do when youve made the decision the things no good and what to do next, obviously if theres a chance to fix you would try it.

a good dog man will know when to cut there loses and move on or we would all be running shite dogs on the chance of them changing some may most will not!

Guest fight the ban

another option was to get a pup and start again wich i been thinking about for a while but i dont know what to get theres a lot off pitt heeps in my area with about 5 acres of land inbetween each of them and theres a lot of deer infact theres more than out else so really i need summit thats fast strong and aggressive but can do a full days work and i mean hours and hours

Guest fight the ban
hunted places like that i just used ny old collie crosses hard going but good sport and a few freinds stationed at the right bits for a slip at them

im canny lucky living where i do im 15 miles from the fells and half an hour from real big fields n proper hare country also a farmer son so lots of permision to boot

Guest fight the ban
At the begining of earlie september 2007 i started to bring my 11 month old dog on. from day one hes made very fast progress and was eagar to please. ive took everything step by step making the progress from pup to dog as easy for him as i could as his confidance grew so did the size of his quarry, untill he had taken everything apart from billie wich i have no intrest in. he quickly turned out to be a reliable dog. UNTILL!! towards the end of the season i noticed a change in him i notice a lot of chances go by that should of been in the bag. then one day a deer put up he ran it a full big feild at striking distance before it hit a fence with my dog literally stood on top of it, even then my once reliable dog still did not hit it. hes now a 18month saluki/greyhound staghound/greyhound put back to a pure saluki and stands at 29". its got my head in knots, :wallbash: any one know wat i should do? :hmm:
Guest fight the ban
another option was to get a pup and start again wich i been thinking about for a while but i dont know what to get theres a lot off pitt heeps in my area with about 5 acres of land inbetween each of them and theres a lot of deer infact theres more than out else so really i need summit thats fast strong and aggressive but can do a full days work and i mean hours and hours
Guest fight the ban
had running dogs like that to be honest you would be better off geting red of him starting again sorry to say mate but some just dont make the grade no matter how many changes they get

fook!!! that hurts when somone tells you might off wasted 18 months. apprieciate the honesty

had running dogs like that to be honest you would be better off geting red of him starting again sorry to say mate but some just dont make the grade no matter how many changes they get

fook!!! that hurts when somone tells you might off wasted 18 months. apprieciate the honesty

:D not your falt mate it happens to us all.sometimes just dont work out