whats gone wrong?

Guest fight the ban

Guest fight the ban

At the begining of earlie september 2007 i started to bring my 11 month old dog on. from day one hes made very fast progress and was eagar to please. ive took everything step by step making the progress from pup to dog as easy for him as i could as his confidance grew so did the size of his quarry, untill he had taken everything apart from billie wich i have no intrest in. he quickly turned out to be a reliable dog. UNTILL!! towards the end of the season i noticed a change in him i notice a lot of chances go by that should of been in the bag. then one day a deer put up he ran it a full big feild at striking distance before it hit a fence with my dog literally stood on top of it, even then my once reliable dog still did not hit it. hes now a 18month saluki/greyhound staghound/greyhound put back to a pure saluki and stands at 29". its got my head in knots, :wallbash: any one know wat i should do? :hmm:

Edited by fight the ban

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to my calculation hes only 17 months old which is still is very young........ far to young to chasing big things

Despite you saying you've took it step by step, I think you may have given too much work as a pup...and now hes gone off the boil................

I've seen it happen so many times..... run the bollox out of a pup...and they end up jacking........

Me thinks you've f****d it

:hmm:

17 months is young esspecially for a big dog and saluki types...don't hunt it for the coming summer...give it a break...don't stimulate the prey drive...and something really easy to start next year...

L

had a saluki/whippet/greyhound bitch about 3 1/2 years old do it she was always fit and the gamest little dog i ever had.

she gradually got a bit too selective on what she run and got worse to the point where she,d be spinning rabbits on the lamp and then pull out of the chase and come straight back.

im not an experienced running dog man but from what i gather it doesnt have to be anything you done,it can just be the dog itself..

who knows...

i agree with lennard he's still very young and you could easily break his heart,i have a 29"dog 6yrs old and just gets better with age,sometimes running them with another dog helps to sharpen them up (pack instinct and all that!

had a saluki/whippet/greyhound bitch about 3 1/2 years old do it she was always fit and the gamest little dog i ever had.

she gradually got a bit too selective on what she run and got worse to the point where she,d be spinning rabbits on the lamp and then pull out of the chase and come straight back.

im not an experienced running dog man but from what i gather it doesnt have to be anything you done,it can just be the dog itself..

who knows...

I would agree, some dogs are simply wank...... but in this case the the dog is very, very young....... I think shots advise is good....rest the dog all summer and start from scratch next season.........

many a good dog has been ruined in haste.

could b the simple fact that he is not game for dear either is or is not realy is daunting task for such a young dog if i was u call it a season try m next season again after few charlie c how he is then either game for it or not :thumbs:

To be honest it sounds as though you have sickened the young dog and i very much doubt he will come round even after a lay off. Once a dog gets it into its head that it can pull up or not chase if it doesnt suit then the situation just gets worse usually.

To be honest it sounds as though you have sickened the young dog and i very much doubt he will come round even after a lay off. Once a dog gets it into its head that it can pull up or not chase if it doesnt suit then the situation just gets worse usually.

I wonder which rescue centre it will end up in :(

I wonder which rescue centre it will end up in :(

Sadly i think its either a pet home or a one way trip to the vets.!!

id run him with an older dog next time so even if he doesnt pull it the other dog will and then he'll get stuck in and show him what to do next time, after that if after a dozen single runs with no sucess at striking i would pts, but only if he has taken them before and now stoped, if hes never taken them single then leave him till next season to see how he does.

its jacked simple as that.

well i wouldnt go that far from reading his post, maybe the young dogs done very little and needs a change of owner.

for all we know its had two fox ran its first deer and bagged 20 rabbits.. and all in its first season :D great allrounder gone bad :doh: