Plummer terriers

All terriers should have a bit of fire in them Nuv :rolleyes: unless maybe borders don't......... :unsure::icon_redface:

Ive just seen you edited your post to ask about dates ;) so I'll reply to it...

he was born in South Wales in 1975, haven't a clue how old Omega was and Im not really bothered, I put the pic up to show someone who had read and enjoyed the book Omega, not for any other reason.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

..mmmmm well done !    You mentioned you "I actually had one myself" I presume this was red as my records say you only had red born 96 ..or did you re-invest?     Lol Glenn you love all this do

Thought you might be interested in this Jack, if you enjoyed the book,   This is a son of Omega's, a dog called Blue, he died in 1996 but was about 4 yrs old in this pic  

thanks.

Posted Images

All terriers should have a bit of fire in them Nuv  :rolleyes: unless maybe borders don't......... :unsure:  :icon_redface:

Ive just seen you edited your post to ask about dates  ;)  so I'll reply to it...

he was born in South Wales in 1975, haven't a clue how old Omega was and Im not really bothered, I put the pic up to show someone who had read and enjoyed the book Omega, not for any other reason.

You said 'aggression'. Gameness..my dogs have plenty.

So Omega was a dog :ph34r: ?

That's good news really...two generations of terriers in 21 years...the dam must have been ageing to say the least...a real breeding machine. How old was Blue in the pic...what, you don't know?

Say Blue was 13 when he died...wouldn't that have made Omega eight...quite old to be breeding from...older than the Kennel Club like...something's not adding up here....

;)

You said 'aggression'. Gameness..my dogs have plenty.

So Omega was a dog  :ph34r: ?

That's good news really...two generations of terriers in 21 years...the dam must have been ageing to say the least...a real breeding machine. How old was Blue in the pic...what, you don't know?

Say Blue was 13 when he died...wouldn't that have made Omega eight...quite old to be breeding from...older than the Kennel Club like...something's not adding up here....

;)

Nuv Ive seen plenty of aggressive borders, not only with other dogs but with people too, it all depends on your interpretation of "gameness" and "aggression" :rolleyes: You are playing with words, and dragging this thread down to the level you did on EDRD, one of the reasons for which I left that forum...

For a man who doesn't like plummers you show an unhealthy interest & so-called knowledge of them :11:

As I said before I put the picture of Blue up to show Thurso Jack who was interested in Omega. Blue was 21 years old when died in 1996 and as previously stated he was 4 years old in that picture. Are you having problems reading? :blink: and where did I say Omega was a dog? :unsure:

This is a constructive thread - is that whats upsetting you? :unsure::D ...get yourself back on EDRD where you belong and leave this thread alone.

A couple more pics of my "aggressive" terriers ;)

bugs_ellie.jpg

c4f9a9d2.jpg

i didnt realise you kept plummers keeps i just thought they were mongrels  :11:

lovely pets though  :blink:

kc recmend that bitches over 8 yrs shouldnt be bred from it dosent mention dogs

:11: nice mongrels though aren't they Shaun :p

but where does the KC come into it? :blink: Since when should what the KC do matter? :unsure::blink:

.......oh right, I forgot, sorry Nuv, your borders are KC registered aren't they :rolleyes::icon_redface: :11: :11: :11:

i didnt realise you kept plummers keeps i just thought they were mongrels  :11:

lovely pets though  :blink:

kc recmend that bitches over 8 yrs shouldnt be bred from it dosent mention dogs

:11: nice mongrels though aren't they Shaun :p

but where does the KC come into it? :blink: Since when should what the KC do matter? :unsure::blink:

.......oh right, I forgot, sorry Nuv, your borders are KC registered aren't they :rolleyes::icon_redface: :11: :11: :11:

Here:

he was born in South Wales in 1975, haven't a clue how old Omega was and Im not really bothered, I put the pic up to show someone who had read and enjoyed the book Omega, not for any other reason.'

Perhaps it was a typo.

I have little interest, but merely commented on the dog as I knew it and saw it lock onto my terrier without provocation. As for dates, I was trying to work out if it was definitely the dog I knew, which it appears to be.

As for KC, this was taken from Rothy's website:

May 2003. Invite to The Scottish Kennel club. Ingleston.

One of the first invitations the PTCGB received was to attend the Scottish Kennel clubs show in Edinburgh.

The stand was well received with visitors standing three deep at times in order to see the 'new breed' of terrier created by Brian Plummer. Membership enquiries and puppy orders flooded in due to the interest shown in the dogs. Attendants on the stand were Mark Lester - Area Representative, Sue Rothwell - Registrar and Hannah Fairbank. The terriers at the show were featured in most of the canine magazines including 'Our dogs'.

Is KC recognition not uppermost in her mind..? You tell me.

As for wordplay see below...about APBT's but an interpretation with which I agree; I trust it is of interest:

Gameness in APBT's is a canine virtue that is most akin to the human virtue of unflagging courage. It is a determination to master any situation and never back down out of fear. It was developed in pit bulls by many generations of selective breeding. It is what allows a pit bull to keep fighting non-stop for two or more hours, in spite of broken bones, torn muscles, blood loss, dehydration, and exhaustion. But it is also valued by APBT owners who would never think of fighting their dogs. It is manifested in the can-do attitude of pit bulls toward any type of challenge, whether agility competitions, climbing up trees, or protecting their family against an armed attacker, etc. (Yes, check out Richard Stratton's books for photos of pit bulls actually climbing up the trunk of a big tree in order to nestle in the branches 15 feet off the ground.)

Generally speaking, a game dog is an emotionally stable, easy-going dog, especially good with kids. Gameness should not be confused with aggressiveness. There are plenty of aggressive dogs that are not game, and there are game pit bulls who are not aggressive toward other types of dogs. Aggressiveness will propell a dog into a fight but will only sustain him for the first few minutes. Gameness, on the other hand, will not necessarily make a dog fight-happy; but if the dog has no other choice but to fight, a game dog will fight until it wins or dies trying, and will keep going as long as necessary. Gameness is an inner quality of pit bulls. There is no way you can tell by looking at a pit bull whether it is deeply game or not. The only test--and for many years the main criterion for selecting a dog for breeding purposes--is actually fighting the dog to see how it stands up to other dogs that have likewise already proven their gameness in the pit. Dogs that are emotionally unstable, or that fear-bite human beings are generally not game. If you want a nice pit, you're generally better off getting one that has been game-bred. These dogs represent the truest exemplars of all the best qualities in the breed. Your questions about my post on the nature of "gameness" posed a couple of very good questions that I would like to try to answer.

I trust i have enlightened you. :angel:

A pup bred from Blue:

kate.jpg

Sorry about the quality, it's a scan.

Guest knocavoeboy

all the threads in all the forums ive seen. first ones with clear evidence of plummer terriers that look to be more that bushung ratting dogs. a phrase springs to mind. a picture says a thousand words. :clapper:

Does anyone own one or work one and how do you rate them? are they just a rat dog or will they go to ground or are they to big?  Just read a book called "omega" and its made me interested in the subject.

Those I've seen - not many - have been aggressive towards other dogs. Not what you want when breaking through on a dig - or at anytime really.

The problem is, no one is allowed to give an opinion of Plummers as those who own them just shout that opinion down rather than offering a different viewpoint...just see the post made eralier by Keeps...para or what?

Try reading Harcombe's World of the Working Terrier...I don't believe there's any Plummers in there.

Nuv

nice pics millet.

id imagine the plummers ive had are very similar bred to what millet calls old strain.i lost a good bitch in february in a drain after she hunted a scent across a field.i tried calling her back but i guess you cant stop a terrier from wanting to find a fox.she was well marked up when we dug her body out.a tragic accident and i wish i could find a bitch like her again.

she did breed a bitch which weve used for the last three years.this bitch is the one eyed rough coated thing which some may have seen on the edrd site.this bitch died two weeks ago after working a fox.

all i have now are crossbred plummer/nuttalls and im very happy with them.i personally dont see why plummers are being called old and new type or strains etc.i think if people had visited the kennels of the dogs which produced the old stuff they would realize they were just crossbred/mongrels.

the plummer types ive had have worked well for me but i dought would have coped with regular fox work.ive never done enough to find out.im unsure if plummers bred today will be as good as what was around ten years ago but there never has been a pure plummer terrier.they are a blend of russell and fell.

they are mongrels :11:

many are,what im trying to point out is that even among plummer owners there is bickering about purity and old and new,it isnt that clear cut as there is no such thing IMO

the question of weather you could get plummers from working parents easier in the past is a valid one. i now have a promising pup which would now be called a crossbred patt/plummer,a few years ago he would have been called a plummer.

it all confuses me and ive had them for a decade. :11: