gos

Hybred

• 1 month later...

Kenny had bad weather for most of the week they had 2 good days on pheasants and 1 day on rabbit the rest of thew time it was blowning a gale, the above bird has gone for the hat and on wedensday was the first real day where he produced odd times before he had produced on some days, the biggest problem is that i don't have a female to use it on

Hybred

I WAS TALKING TO A CHAP OFF THIS SITE LAST NIGHT HE HAS GOSES AND HAS INVITED ME DOWN TO SEE THESE BIRDS AS MOST PEOPLE KNOW I HAVE A HARRIS AND WHILE I LOVE WATCHING HIM HUNT I DONT THINK I CAN DEVOTE THE AMOUNT OF TIME TO ONE OF THESE SPECIAL BIRDS. BUT I WILL TAKE UP THE OFFER AND HOPFULY HAVE A GOOD WEEK END. NICE TO TALK TO PEOPL OFF HERE ON THE DOG AND BONE YOU DO GET A REALY DIFFERNT OPINION OF THEM [bANNED TEXT] YOU DO. HAPPY HUNTING ALL AND KEEP IT REAL

Hello Peter

Its been done by the americans but the chicks only survived for about 7-10 days before dyeing, The story that went round was because the birds was so far outcrossed there was a lethal gene missing that finally killed them off, I don't know about you though! but surley this would have killed them off well before 7-10 days! I can't help feeling that if they managed to survive this long and the fact they managed to get them fertile in the first place! then it was something far simpler that killed them than the lethal gene they talked about, I have a picture here of a Harrishawk x Coopershawk which came out fine! the coopershawk is only a subspecies of the Goshawk and both are accipiters! so basically if they managed it with Cooper why not a gos! this is only my opinion though Peter..

Cheers

Tony

He's giving earley Hybrid! My females are no where near standing yet or even nest building, you want to keep him going and not let him dry up should someone do a deal with you for some Semen later on, My male is also 2 or 3 weeks away but hopefully he'll be on the glove shortly, I know Kenny has a female that might well stand for him this year.

Cheers

Tony

Hello Hybred

Its strange how the different climates in the uk effect the behaviour of breeding birds, You could try slowing him down a bit by diet, this will always help to take them out of condition, the worry is if you do this to him now while he is giving it could well shut him down for the rest of the season! If you was going to do it that way! I probably would'nt cut him down too much but reduce the quality of his diet to say chicks all the time and when you want to bring him in again, stick him on a richer diet of say quail and pigeon to help bring him back into condition, I have now started to feed a High quality supplemented diet to my birds to help bring them in..

Speak To You Soon

Tony

Guest what a flight
Could you cross a Gos to a Harris to try and get the best of both worlds.

Thats a nice pic hybred...

Alright Peter,i don't think you would get anything worth having from that type of hybrid,2 totally different hawks with there own unique niches and hunting styles.Maybe the harris half could pass on its total tameness to the goshawk side,but then again i know of parent reared gos's with bombproof manners,but have seen otheres that will flip at the slightest upset,i also think the only thing the gos half could pass onto the harris is its speed,i think you would end up with something that just resembles a slower bird than a gos.The only people who would benefit from such an hybrid would be the breeder seeking recognition from the success and the fools gold :friends: ,there would be a few quasi falconers :ph34r: who would pay a kings ransom to own such a hybrid..gladly i wouldn't be one of them... :good:

W A F.........

I WAS TALKING TO A CHAP OFF THIS SITE LAST NIGHT HE HAS GOSES AND HAS INVITED ME DOWN TO SEE THESE BIRDS AS MOST PEOPLE KNOW I HAVE A HARRIS AND WHILE I LOVE WATCHING HIM HUNT I DONT THINK I CAN DEVOTE THE AMOUNT OF TIME TO ONE OF THESE SPECIAL BIRDS. BUT I WILL TAKE UP THE OFFER AND HOPFULY HAVE A GOOD WEEK END. NICE TO TALK TO PEOPL OFF HERE ON THE DOG AND BONE YOU DO GET A REALY DIFFERNT OPINION OF THEM [bANNED TEXT] YOU DO. HAPPY HUNTING ALL AND  KEEP IT REAL

Hello Viz

Just seen your post! I'm sure you'll be well looked after if you take him up on his offer, I know there are plenty of Deer around there that need sorting and trimmed up with that gun of yours, I had a couple of falconers come and stay over in their caravan for the week from Stoke! they was shocked by the amount of game and Deer around the local estates, either way mate I'm sure you'll get plenty of sport down in bonny norfolk :hunter: .

Cheers

Tony