Sundays trip out with Chipper Nell

After yesterdays cold wet trip out, today seen us back up on the dales in better weather, today we took Chipper old bitch Nell up on to the top level to work the dead bracken beds and marsh grass, Nell points and pulls rabbits from these places with the best of them and better than most, it is a real pleasure to watch, its a hard slog getting up there but well worth the hike for the number of bunny on the ground up there, on the way up there we past a group of about fourty boy scouts, we offered them the usual bob but none where willing to carry the gear for us, whats the world coming to maybe it is down to inflation, when we got to the level we wanted to be at Nell was soon at her work, pointing then forcing her rabbit off its seat and taking them before they could make a break for it, we worked our way through the grass and bracken beds and soon had a good tally of rabbits we soon had seven rabbits to carry and made our way back down, we had only come out to give her a few runs, on our way down she marked a nice little set on a stone mound, I had broought along my ferret with out the tail just in case things didn't go to plan, has we all know some times they don't, one day there are bunny all over the place the next time you go it's hard work finding them, any way we netter up the set about a dozen holes in all, no tail was let in to find her rabbits and we where off first rabbit in the net, back in she went and in no time another from the same hole, now lately we have only been getting ones and twos from these kind of places, but no tail was keen to get back in so off she went, this year this little jill has had more rabbits for us than propable the rest of our team put together, after a while it's time for the old knocker box to come out has I walking about to find a mark theres the the click click click, and before I can turn it down to find a depth I could feel the ground under my feet bumping and banging, the dial was on the off mark, thats way I like it, the spade hit stone as soon as it went throw the truf, my heart sank but once it was pulled back the stones where like inche thick slates locked in to each other easy to pull apart and theres no tail and her rabbit out comes the rabbit and shes on her way again, another rabbit hits the net, four out and shes away again, this time I got a mark at three foot but this rabbits not settleing and she can't hold it up, after a lot of rattleing about for 1/4 an hour or so she comes to a hole looking for her quarry so I picked her up and we made for home, some times if the rabbits had pressed and it not come out we will leave him for another day and I didn't fancy a five to six foot dig in the stone if she bottled him up, we made our way back to the pick up with eleven rabbits and a smile

SANY0611.jpg

SANY0614.jpg

On the way up we come across these, aways a good sign we also seen our first skylark giving us a song

SANY0620.jpg

Nell marking her first rabbit of the day

SANY0634.jpg

Its not only gold found at the end of a rainbow or is it

SANY0703.jpg

SANY0740.jpg

SANY0757.jpg

Nell watching the nets

SANY0767.jpg

SANY0791.jpg

SANY0783.jpg

SANY0785.jpg

No tail with her prize

WELL JOHN ,

NO WONDER CHIP IS SO SHORT ....... YEARS OF HUNTING 4 OR 5 TIMES A WEEK ON THE FELLS HAS WORN HIM DOWN :D

BE CAREFUL ........ IF YOU JOHN GET OUT MUCH MORE YOU COULD END UP HAVING TO PUT TURN-UPS ON YER UNDERPANTS LIKE CHIPPER ! :laugh:

HONESTLY THOUGH , .......... THERES NOT MANY LADS GET OUT AND HAVE THE SUCESS CHIPPER HAS ..... GOOD ON HIM !

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)

Thanks for the post John and the photos young John. I'm afraid your correct DUCKWING, but its not only all walking I do that makes me short, its all the bloody carrying as well. The rest of the gang only take gear from me when they see young John getting the camera out, when the camera is put awy they throw ALL the gear "and the rabbits" back at me to carry. HONEST

Regards Warren

WELL JOHN ,

NO WONDER CHIP IS SO SHORT ....... YEARS OF HUNTING 4 OR 5 TIMES A WEEK ON THE FELLS HAS WORN HIM DOWN :D

BE CAREFUL ........ IF YOU JOHN GET OUT MUCH MORE YOU COULD END UP HAVING TO PUT TURN-UPS ON YER UNDERPANTS LIKE CHIPPER ! :laugh:

HONESTLY THOUGH , .......... THERES NOT MANY LADS GET OUT AND HAVE THE SUCESS CHIPPER HAS ..... GOOD ON HIM !

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)

duckwing wheres the frog wellies with the eyes, chipper must be shy as he has closed his eyes in the picture
WELL JOHN ,

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING ;)

duckwing wheres the frog wellies with the eyes, chipper must be shy as he has closed his eyes in the picture

Oy snareman, please leave the frog wellies out, her in doors "and one or two of her family!!!" got me some for christmas about four years ago!! Regards Warren

BY FECK CHALKIE ,

THAT " BUSH BUSTER " CHIPPS IS TURNING OUT TO BE A FINE LOOKING TYPE .........

I HOPE IT TURNS OUT JUST WHAT YOU LADS WANT ,

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Yes,..we are realy pleased with Chipps,... :thumbs:

I now have all my 'old mouching permission' back,...and it will be good to see how well the pup performs on The Plains...

Of course he will have his best-est pal, Sky, the Fat Whippet with him,....what a crazy pair they are,...talk about 'the blind leading the blind'.... :wallbash:

Gonna be some good rabbit hunting times ahead,...I can feel it in me Shiraz.... :drink:

All the best,..CHALKWARREN.... :laugh: PICT0042_edited-1.jpg

Wow, am I alowed to say that "CHIPS" is one smart Terrier? Because he truly is. Three weeks ago I lost his Grandmother Willow. Willow has always been a good ferreting bitch and never ever offered to go to ground while ferreting but, she did and has paid the ultimate price. I trusted her because she never looked like doing anything other than strongly mark a soil earth. Of course she would go into log piles or anything else other than burrows and I foolishly thought that she understood the rules. I have just mated Chips mother to to a son of Willows, half brother half sister in the hope I will get something close to Willow. Time will tell!! Regards Warren

been a good season all round rabbits more than ive had for at least fifteen years ,flushing roe and hares plus a few nice client butchers , had three dogs to work with and old lana occaisonaly for rabbs and toothed qaurry , but its all over apart from the odd day here and there dogs have took a hiding the last two months , barb wire and hard ground and to much running , more pups this summer for replace ments and look forward to next season all the best now the odd day out and let the dogs relax hopefully time to work fish and get ready for sep