Day out

Today Chipper young John and myself made our way up on to the dales, has we got closer the weather slowly got worse, with wind and drizzle as well as a mist coming down off the tops it looked like we were in for a bad day, we parked up at the keepers house by now it was blowing a gale and the fine icey drizzle cut in to your face, we made up our minds to leave the net bag and just have a quick walk out and ferret a couple of rabbits for Molly the young tumbler and Mouse, the dale we were on today goes up on four levels, we decided to stay on the lower level and just as well by time we got up on it my head was on fire having forgotten my hat the freezing wind and rain felt like it was taking my skin off(not having a lot if any natural covering to my folicly challenged swede) I was ready for turning back and making my way home, the young dogs cast out among the dead bracken and soon were giving a very strong mark, it was a big set around fifty hole on flat ground, I poped in the two big hobs I had with me in no time a rabbit exploded about ten feet in front of Molly and both dogs were close on it Molly striking and taking the bunny, this pup as many of you know was gifted to Chipper because the guy did not have the time to spend with her and she was starting to go back over threw no fault of her own, since Chipper has had her she as come on in leaps and bounds, now even as a sapling when she strikes her rabbit there only one place it's going and that's home with us, today was also the first time she has given a really strong mark and once she had done it she carried on all day

SANY0497.jpg

SANY0460.jpg

Molly markng a set ever time she said there was one home it was there

SANY0510.jpg

Our next rabbit was to dig for, yet another day were the bunny didn't want to leave home and out of the seven rabbits taken four were to dig for, now the fun had begun I sharp forgot the burning scalp and I was here for the day, soon the dogs were marking the next set and number three was forced from below ground only to drop in the next set ten yards away, we moved along after him and it was dug to, while I was pulling the rabbit from the hole another rabbit shoot out vertically just missing my face and away along the dale with Mouse and Molly in hot pursuit now Molly to look at is a heavily built pup but belive me she can move, Mouse is known for her break neck speed but Molly was close on her heels and only just beaten to the strike if only I had a pound for every time I have heard Chipper say"I really like this pup" i woudn't be able to walk for the weight in my pockets

SANY0522.jpg

SANY0542.jpg

On to the next set and another dig, now recently it has been written on this site about rabbits biting you this is some thing I have never come across until today, and let me tell you it bloody hurts

SANY0534.jpg

The rabbit savaged finger bleeding on my box

SANY0473.jpg

SANY0458.jpg

By the time we moved on to the next set we were all wet through we got two more out of here and called it a day, so from getting there and feeling cold and like giving up before we started to now going home happy after an enjoyable if wet day we made our way down off the dale

SANY0567.jpg

SANY0586.jpg

Good post john and cracking photos young John. Thanks for the comments DUCKWING. DUCKWING, in his fairness and honesty is one of the very few dog men to piont out one or two slightlty differnt things about about Molly that we would normally think a disadvantage to a Lurcher but, I am finding that her slight differenses might just be to her advantage. Only time will tell and I will honestly give my true oppinion when she is a fully tried and tested bitch.

Regards Warren

WELLDONE LADS..............IT SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN A GOOD SEASON FOR EVERYBODY.

dogs024.jpg

has chipper still got his beagle x basset or daschund i cant remember

Hi threbb, yes I still have "Bud", he is a Beagle x Dashund. Bud is about 2 1/2 years old and going well.

Regards Warren