keeping harris hawks

Tazbird

You dont need anything to purchased a Harris. The only paperwork you need is an A10 but that is only for birds that are a schedule 4 bird which are Golden Eagle, Merlin, Gyr Falcon, Peregrine Falcon, Barbary Falcon, Hobby, Goshawk and hybrids of these species.

tazbird,have i understood your post right mate.you have just bought a mhh,you dont know if you require any licences etc,and dont know what size living quaters.where have you got it living at the moment.??

it may be a idea to get somone local to you to give you a hand and some advice mate.

thanks daz

ps i bet i wish i had keept my nose out.

i should of explained better at the moment he is being kept in a 6ft by 5ft shed but was wondering if that is enough room for him. he has a perch and a shelve in there as well as his bow perch and a bath. could you advise me if this is big enough or should i make him a larger avery.thanks for the replys so far :thumbs:

What I would do personally is bow him down 24/7 fly him 7 days a week then see what next year brings for free-lofting. I have free-lofted year old birds before but prefer to bow them for the first year.

This is just my option so dont bite my head off :notworthy:

thanks for the reply, didn't mean to sound like i was bitting you head off. :thumbs:. I'm greatful for all advice thats given, i've had a few people local tell me things but the more you here from people in the game the better knowledge i have

i put my H H on bow perch every morning in garden with bath then put in mews on night time unless below freezing then bring in house

I have recently purchased a male harris hawk. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if and what the law requires to keep one? :hmm:

i would be greatful for any advice posted

taz mate. mail me your address and il post you some dvd.s if you dont know owt about them. really you should read a few books before you buy a bird mate but its a bit late for that now so i think a dvd is a bit quicker to learn but do got some books. for both your sakes.

thanks for the reply, didn't mean to sound like i was bitting you head off. :thumbs:. I'm greatful for all advice thats given, i've had a few people local tell me things but the more you here from people in the game the better knowledge i have

i put my H H on bow perch every morning in garden with bath then put in mews on night time unless below freezing then bring in house

you can get a tubular greenhouse heater off ebay for 12 quid mate. ive got one and it does the job well. got a bit fed up with my lady moaning every morning

I have recently purchased a male harris hawk. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if and what the law requires to keep one? :hmm:

i would be greatful for any advice posted

taz mate. mail me your address and il post you some dvd.s if you dont know owt about them. really you should read a few books before you buy a bird mate but its a bit late for that now so i think a dvd is a bit quicker to learn but do got some books. for both your sakes.

very well put that.and a very kind offer :clapper:

thanks daz

Edited by D.A.Z

thanks very much for all your help it's all greatly appreciated, i have a slim knowledge of H H but sometimes what you read in a book isn't the same as what you can learn from hands on experience :thumbs: , the books that i've read have all been very advanced could anyone recommend a good writer for a novice.