Sign in to follow this  
Tazbird

keeping harris hawks

I have recently purchased a male harris hawk. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if and what the law requires to keep one? :hmm:

i would be greatful for any advice posted

hi there mate there is no law in having one eg having a lissence ect but you dont want to rush into getting your first bird for any more help just ask

You dont need anything to purchased a Harris. The only paperwork you need is an A10 but that is only for birds that are a schedule 4 bird which are Golden Eagle, Merlin, Gyr Falcon, Peregrine Falcon, Barbary Falcon, Hobby, Goshawk and hybrids of these species.

tazbird,have i understood your post right mate.you have just bought a mhh,you dont know if you require any licences etc,and dont know what size living quaters.where have you got it living at the moment.??

it may be a idea to get somone local to you to give you a hand and some advice mate.

thanks daz

ps i bet i wish i had keept my nose out.

i should of explained better at the moment he is being kept in a 6ft by 5ft shed but was wondering if that is enough room for him. he has a perch and a shelve in there as well as his bow perch and a bath. could you advise me if this is big enough or should i make him a larger avery.thanks for the replys so far :thumbs:

What I would do personally is bow him down 24/7 fly him 7 days a week then see what next year brings for free-lofting. I have free-lofted year old birds before but prefer to bow them for the first year.

This is just my option so dont bite my head off :notworthy:

thanks for the reply, didn't mean to sound like i was bitting you head off. :thumbs:. I'm greatful for all advice thats given, i've had a few people local tell me things but the more you here from people in the game the better knowledge i have

thanks for the reply, didn't mean to sound like i was bitting you head off. :thumbs:. I'm greatful for all advice thats given, i've had a few people local tell me things but the more you here from people in the game the better knowledge i have

i put my H H on bow perch every morning in garden with bath then put in mews on night time unless below freezing then bring in house

I have recently purchased a male harris hawk. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if and what the law requires to keep one? :hmm:

taz mate. mail me your address and il post you some dvd.s if you dont know owt about them. really you should read a few books before you buy a bird mate but its a bit late for that now so i think a dvd is a bit quicker to learn but do got some books. for both your sakes.

i put my H H on bow perch every morning in garden with bath then put in mews on night time unless below freezing then bring in house

you can get a tubular greenhouse heater off ebay for 12 quid mate. ive got one and it does the job well. got a bit fed up with my lady moaning every morning

taz mate. mail me your address and il post you some dvd.s if you dont know owt about them. really you should read a few books before you buy a bird mate but its a bit late for that now so i think a dvd is a bit quicker to learn but do got some books. for both your sakes.

very well put that.and a very kind offer :clapper:

thanks daz

Edited by D.A.Z

thanks very much for all your help it's all greatly appreciated, i have a slim knowledge of H H but sometimes what you read in a book isn't the same as what you can learn from hands on experience :thumbs: , the books that i've read have all been very advanced could anyone recommend a good writer for a novice.