Barn owls

ferret_uk

i have recently been re-searching about barn owls and can not find any thing that tells me how to supply water and so on. i have aslo been told about taking out the yolk in the chicks and cutting off the legs and beak before feeding. all information would be great ferretuk

Why do you want a barn owl.. :hmm: .. i feel soooooooo sorry for these little bird's just because they look nice and are stupidly cheap to buy everybody want's them to stick in a shed and throw food at it.. that's until they get sick of it and they end up starving to death or getting a disease through poor hiegene..

One good point though from all the folk's getting these beautiful bird's is when they get sick of them they let them go and some will survive once they have learned to hunt..and the other is im starting to see a lot more in the wild since they have been sold so cheap in the last 10yr's..

Sorry for the rant.. :blink: ..

But good luck if you get one..

Millet

im 100% behind you millet. i hare to see them leashed at shows and displays. their not suited as falconers birds and it makes my blood boil to see them at displays. :wallbash:

maybe if you lads didnt jump into the conclusion i let me finish you might not of moaned as much. I am gettin a pair of owls and breeding them to release into the wild and is goin to me all aprt of the barn owl trust. I posted this post of some information not a mouth full of rubbish it seems as thought every post that is posted recently some one is garenteed to have a winge ferretuk

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:hmm: Actually a Very interesting Thread, this. I came upon it earlier but thought I'd leave it to mature a bit.

Barn Owls? Been there. Done that. 110% behind Millets sentiments. Ours was a little beauty. Did everything that could be done for him. He reciprocated by doing all in his limited little power to totally wreck our f*cking heads. Happily passed him back to the breeder inside six months. Lesson learned. Never again.

Breeding them? Trick is to stop them breeding! Mate of mine went down that road. Had a pair. Then had half a dozen or so. Then again. And again. And ..... Ye get the picture? I think he wound up sick and tired of eating Barn Ommllettes; Just before he too got shot of the f*cking things. And, of course, ones local society can only hold so many 'Barn Owl Enthusiasts'. Divide that by the number who'll be sick and tired of theirs within a couple of months of taking it down the pub - till it fires shit halfway across the bar and is banished to the shed ..... and that's about where Millet came in, isn't it?

Release programmes? All that hit a glitch some years ago, didn't it? As is said; They've now twigged that it's no good letting them go where there's no food. Shame about the motors. Their very method of hunting makes them windscreen fodder par excellance.

Damn shame we have none (?) or else so few over here. I've never seen one. I have the outbuildings. I have the food supply. No one would harm them here. Yet I've never seen one. Don't know why. Someone else might?

Anyway, have we all calmed down now? Good. Ferret uk; Why aren't ye addressing ye questions to the " Barn Owl Trust ", mate? Just seems to me they should be the ones supporting ye all the way here.

Do let us know how ye get on.

Oh, and Millet's not a bad bloke. He's just passionate. You'll need to be like that too, if ye going to have to do with Barn Owls :yes:

Like all injured birds of prey when rehabbing you will have to be 110% sure that they are fit, healthy and able to hunt by themselves before releasing them back into the wild.

Im not quite sure about the paperwork side of things as you will most probably have to get something from DEFRA about the release ( I dont know )

but on the other hand if The Barn Owl Trust back you all the way I wish you luck with it all. :thumbs:

here is some info that you may benifit from:

http://www.lbp.org.uk/downloads/Publicatio...NE_barnowls.pdf

http://www.scbop.org.uk/

http://www.pebog.org.uk/barn-owl-information

Edited by SPAR
i have recently been re-searching about barn owls and can not find any thing that tells me how to supply water and so on. i have aslo been told about taking out the yolk in the chicks and cutting off the legs and beak before feeding. all information would be great ferretuk

best thing to get water into them is soak there food in it. defrost your chicks, rats, mice and quail ect in warm water and it gives them plenty of water to be gtting on with. a good size bath in the aviary helps. as for there food dont just feed them on chicks after all how would your body react after a month of eating the same old thing. plenty of mice rats quail and chicks. this is how i work mine out for them. monday 2 chicks, tuesday 1 chick and 2 mice, wednesday 2 mice, thursday 1 rat, friday 2 chicks, saturday NOTHING AT ALL and sunday a small quail but all birds differ in the amount they eat so youll have work out what they will or can eat. but be sure to give them varied diet. my food is ordered from http://www.honeybrookfarm.com/ and a good site for barn owls is http://www.barnowltrust.org.uk/content_ima...ve_Barn_Owl.pdf

these guys will also help you out theyre really nice and very helpfull http://colchesteranddistrictbirdofpreyandferretrescue.co.uk/

maybe if you lads didnt jump into the conclusion i let me finish you might not of moaned as much. I am gettin a pair of owls and breeding them to release into the wild and is goin to me all aprt of the barn owl trust. I posted this post of some information not a mouth full of rubbish it seems as thought every post that is posted recently some one is garenteed to have a winge ferretuk
well said mate i got that feeling as well if they dont like it you should not do it . you get your owls and do your bit ;);)