What breed of ferrets are the best...?

Guest spudsk100

i really want one !! i need to find a train that takes me from shropshire too kent too pick one up in the spring summer ! apparently you dont dig too them as much becuse the yfind it hard too kill :thumbs:

load of bollocks if a weasel can kill a rabbit so can a small ferret & even if it dont kill it,it dont mean its going to leave it so you'll still have to dig em & if a small un meets a rat it will take some stick just ask people who have ratted with ferrets

nature made em that size for a reason because its the best size for the job not to look cute or to satisfy fads. annd as for horses for courses what do they do that an average size ferret cant do ?please enlighten me Pritch

Edited by pritch

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFTER 3 DECADES AND ONE DECDAE AS A RABBIT CATHER ALONG THE SCOTTISH BORDERS ETC , IVE NO USE FOR SMALL WEEDY FERRETS GIVE ME THE OLE G FERRTS ANY DAY I LIKE A FERRET WHO BOLTS KILLS AND MOVES ON ONCE DUG OR IF CANY DIG THEN MOVE ON A FERRET, WHO CANT OR IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO KILL AND BOLT IN ALL WEATHERS IS NO GOOD HAD SMALL FERRETS AFTER THREE MONTHS OF HARD WORK THEY USED TO HIDE IN THER BOXES SHIVERING AFTER TWO OR THREE DAYS A WEEK ONLY THE STRONGEST BITCHES AND DOGS SURVIVED IVE TWO LEFT OF THE OLD STRAIN OF GREYHOUND TYPE , IF THEY BREED ALL AND WELL

AFTER 3 DECADES AND ONE DECDAE AS A RABBIT CATHER ALONG THE SCOTTISH BORDERS ETC , IVE NO USE FOR SMALL WEEDY FERRETS GIVE ME THE OLE G FERRTS ANY DAY I LIKE A FERRET WHO BOLTS KILLS AND MOVES ON ONCE DUG OR IF CANY DIG THEN MOVE ON A FERRET, WHO CANT OR IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO KILL AND BOLT IN ALL WEATHERS IS NO GOOD HAD SMALL FERRETS AFTER THREE MONTHS OF HARD WORK THEY USED TO HIDE IN THER BOXES SHIVERING AFTER TWO OR THREE DAYS A WEEK ONLY THE STRONGEST BITCHES AND DOGS SURVIVED IVE TWO LEFT OF THE OLD STRAIN OF GREYHOUND TYPE , IF THEY BREED ALL AND WELL

hello whin any chance of a pic to show these good folk what a g/hound is :victory: :victory:

cant , or dont no how to put pics never tries onse sandy long and muscly bitch who after 4 seasons still kills and stays in the warren till the rabbits are moved other ones a longish white ferret strong and well balanced he kills and moves on , the only way i see alittle ferret being of any use as i had them years ago was wheni poached local areas they were not strong enough but bolted rabbs who wanted to bolt and well after a little while came off ideal , but in these modern days and on shallow digging land a good strong type does me all the best

whin the ferret you describe [long,thin & muscular] is i was always knew as a greyhound ferret i was led to believe they bred them for ratting but whatever they were'nt small then niether is a greyhound.A small greyhound is a whippet

Pritch

explain [bANNED TEXT] self mate, come up to scotland bring the small ferrets and work rabbs who have been harrased with stoats been hunted all winter see how these small ferrrets survive after two hard days etc if they do well ill get one but when i was very pro active come after christmas only the stronger ferret lived with three days a week ferreting all the best

Its a shame all these people with greyhound ferrets can't produce a picture of one

I dont know if you meant me but if you did i dont keep greyhound ferrets just your bog standard type but i'm still waiting to hear what these small uns can do that a normal un can't, if it is just that you like the look of them then happydays but horses for courses means a different type or size of tool for a different job so i'm baffled as to what you mean. Pritch

Guest Magwitch
Its a shame all these people with greyhound ferrets can't produce a picture of one

I dont know if you meant me but if you did i dont keep greyhound ferrets just your bog standard type but i'm still waiting to hear what these small uns can do that a normal un can't, if it is just that you like the look of them then happydays but horses for courses means a different type or size of tool for a different job so i'm baffled as to what you mean. Pritch

if you don't keep them i didn't mean you. i use the smaller ferrets were its impossible to dig like deep banks and overgrown hedgerows, as you probably know yourself rabbits either bolt or they don't i don't think they are actully brothered by the size of the ferret.

i try to keep small to medium sized ferrets , and have had a few of what i call greyhound ferrets over the years.

the ones i call greyhound ferts are medium sized very lean humped backed and allways on the go, running round the court on the wheel. or when working no messing straight in .

i have never found that they cant do a full days work.

now here is one big advantage with smal ferts. firstly you can get more in one carying box, i can get 6 in mine . its one of simmon w boxes.

i can also get 3 in my little single box where as you would be hard pressed to get 1 big hob in it.

and the advantage with more ferts is you can do larger warrens more efectivly, no good going up to a 40 hole warren with one fert.

and of course having 3 small fets in a little box its very light to carry :yes:

i try to keep small to medium sized ferrets , and have had a few of what i call greyhound ferrets over the years.

the ones i call greyhound ferts are medium sized very lean humped backed and allways on the go, running round the court on the wheel. or when working no messing straight in .

i have never found that they cant do a full days work.

My jill off you is hyper as feck and can kill a rabbit easy as pie when she wants to, most of the time though she eats their eyes then lets them out :icon_eek: