.22lr-.17hmr

i own a cz .22 and a tikka .222 i herd that the .17hmr is better for pest control and maybe the odd fox.im thinking of buyying a cz varmint in .17hmr also is the round bigger than a .22 and does the .17hmr have more power

thanks daz

Hello mate. All bullet diameters are mesured in .000'' (.17hmr ,22lr,.223,.243,.308 and so on) so .17 is the same diameter as a .177 air pellet and .22 as a .22 air pellet. This means that the hmr is smaller than a .22lr. However due to the larger case and more powder the hmr is more powerful than a regular.22lr sub sonic. Thats a bit of a cr***y explanation, but im sure someone else will be able to explain it better. Hope it helps anyway. Cheers

Speak to your Fire arms police officer first as mine would not let me have a .17hmr as I have .223 & he said the .223 will do anything a .17 will do and more so just check with him before you waste any time, I would keep the .22lr aswell if he will let you there are times when a .17 or .223 are overkill.

Rich.

Speak to your Fire arms police officer first as mine would not let me have a .17hmr as I have .223 & he said the .223 will do anything a .17 will do and more so just check with him before you waste any time, I would keep the .22lr aswell if he will let you there are times when a .17 or .223 are overkill.

Rich.

peashooter, are you getting the HMR confused with the .17 Rem Mag. i would be surprised if they didnt give you a hmr, a .223 really is big for anything normally associated with a rimfire.

thanks

ss06

the 17hmr is a necked down 22rimfire magnum case it has a 17grain head and travels at about 2500 fps your 22lr on subs does about 800fps..if you ask for 17hmr say its for long range vermin and short range fox...the kill very well at 150 yards on rabbits and about 100 yards on fox..(bullet placement is important)there a great round some will say that they struggle in the wind..in strong wind we do heads shots at about 70 yards.calm days there bloody brilliant..i dont use my 22lr sinse buying the 17hmr..............

I was told by my firearms officer to keep the .22lr and get the .17hmr as well. They have different uses and are both great in their own right :thumbs: . We are quite flat in Cambridgeshire so the firearms department like the idea of a round that doesnt ricochet.

sportingshooter06, no he would not let me have a .17hmr. He said a .223 will do everything a .17hmr would and more so I didnt need one, North Yorks police.

This is my first FAC cert so I am going to give it another 12 months or so and try again, he is correct in a way the 223 will do everything a 17 will and I have a 22lr for short range bunnies.

Rich.

Daz

Hope this will help a bit!

And just quickly before we get there, comments about N Yorks apparently allowing a .223 and Not a .17MHR..... "He said a .223 will do everything a .17hmr would and more so I didnt need one"...is either Bull***t or someone is not telling the whole story!

17HMR, it is much flatter than .22LR and pushes the range up a bit, but don't be fooled by people suggesting it is an everyday 150-200 yard tool because it isn't. It's a good and very useful tool but the wind is not kind to the round!

HMR is noisier than .22LR (particularly a sub with a decent mod which is only one step away from being silent) and the ammo is 2-3-4 times the price!

It you plan on eating or selling your rabbits head shots are the only sensible option for HMR. It is a "little" better suited for Foxes than .22LR.

The bullet is smaller than a .22LR and most commonly weighs a lot less at 17g-20g, the cartridge, as already stated is based on a necked down .22WMR. "Most" .22LR bullets weigh betweem 30g-40g.

A comment I noticed about sub sonic .22LR at 800 ft sec is a little off the mark, the vast majority of sub sonic .22LR travel between 1000-1052ft sec.

I run a .22LR and I'm dumping the HMR in favour of .22WMR. Nearly as flat as the HMR, more powerful, about the same noise, cheaper ammo and suits my shooting better.

The most powerful .22LR is in the order of 200ft lb, the most powerful .17HMR is in the order of 250ft lb. Any comparrison with a .223 is daft as the power range is between about 1100ft lb-1350ft lb.

ATB

Deker

keep the 222 for fox mate, hmr for rabbits upto 150 yards [ on still days no wind about] and 22lr for rabbits upto 100 yards

i cant see how he says the 222 or 223 would do more then what the hmr would ? yes it does what the hmr would do better

but would you really want to shoot rabbits with a centrefire if you want to eat them ? i wouldnt that is where the hmr comes in i think :thumbs:

Daz

And just quickly before we get there, comments about N Yorks apparently allowing a .223 and Not a .17MHR..... "He said a .223 will do everything a .17hmr would and more so I didnt need one"...is either Bull***t or someone is not telling the whole story!

Deker

Whole story and no bullshit, how would you know what was said to me Sorry i didnt notice you sat in my kitchen when I was talking to the F/A officer.

That was what he said to me word for word.

Daz

Deker

Whole story and no bullshit, how would you know what was said to me Sorry i didnt notice you sat in my kitchen when I was talking to the F/A officer.

That was what he said to me word for word.

So I was right...it's not the whole story...you forgot to mention your FLO was insane!!! :thumbs: I know a lot of them are idiots but this takes the biscuit.

HMR 250ft lb,........ .223 1300+ft lb, the ideal tool and really useful for round the stables, barns, small permissions, rabbits, corvids, squirrels, etc, etc, who on earth would ever want a .17HMR...he needs certifying!!!!! :crazy: :thumbs:

Daz

17HMR, it is much flatter than .22LR and pushes the range up a bit, but don't be fooled by people suggesting it is an everyday 150-200 yard tool because it isn't. It's a good and very useful tool but the wind is not kind to the round!

HMR is noisier than .22LR (particularly a sub with a decent mod which is only one step away from being silent) and the ammo is 2-3-4 times the price!

It you plan on eating or selling your rabbits head shots are the only sensible option for HMR. It is a "little" better suited for Foxes than .22LR.

The bullet is smaller than a .22LR and most commonly weighs a lot less at 17g-20g, the cartridge, as already stated is based on a necked down .22WMR. "Most" .22LR bullets weigh betweem 30g-40g......................................................................

A comment I noticed about sub sonic .22LR at 800 ft sec is a little off the mark, the vast majority of sub sonic .22LR travel between 1000-1052ft sec.

I run a .22LR and I'm dumping the HMR in favour of .22WMR. Nearly as flat as the HMR, more powerful, about the same noise, cheaper ammo and suits my shooting better.

The most powerful .22LR is in the order of 200ft lb, the most powerful .17HMR is in the order of 250ft lb. Any comparrison with a .223 is daft as the power range is between about 1100ft lb-1350ft lb.

ATB

Deker

youve miss read what deker has said mate..deker is quite right saying you cant compare a 223 to a 17 hmr...i think your fao ment that you have a 22lr for close range vermin and the 223 for fox control and long range vermin....if its your first grant you are unlikely to get a 17 hmr aswell because some people get there first grant get some rifles and then realise that the sport is not for them,alot can happen in five years...and the powers at be dont want lots of unused rifle in circulation...and also dekar is right as regards my 800 fps for a 22 subsonic...they do move quicker than that.... :victory: