Incest kits - bro and sis

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

probably gonna upset a few folk here with this next sentence but here goes, why the hell do people wanna deliberately breed ferts to cull them if not happy with the end result. If you have a litter that are deformed, then fine it's in the best interest of the animal, but to breed from a pair that you know have a high chance of having abnormal young whats it all about.....

I couldnt agree more :thumbs:

probably gonna upset a few folk here with this next sentence but here goes, why the hell do people wanna deliberately breed ferts to cull them if not happy with the end result. If you have a litter that are deformed, then fine it's in the best interest of the animal, but to breed from a pair that you know have a high chance of having abnormal young whats it all about.....

because i dont believe they end up deformed. find me someone thats ended up with dodgy litter and ill throw my hands up coz theres many people that have bred family for years with no probs. someone with experience please post as theres alot of know-feck-alls on her. not digging at you crafty, i do understand what your saying and it would be silly to do if it actuall DID cause problems bu im yet to find evidence of it.

do you really think someones going to shout from the rooftops that they breed '' dodgy'' kits :no:

because i dont believe they end up deformed. find me someone thats ended up with dodgy litter and ill throw my hands up coz theres many people that have bred family for years with no probs. someone with experience please post as theres alot of know-feck-alls on her. not digging at you crafty, i do understand what your saying and it would be silly to do if it actuall DID cause problems bu im yet to find evidence of it.

your correct in what your saying, but, your not explaining it fully, for the novice breeder to understand, yes you can breed within the family tree, BUT, to do so without doing more damage than good, you need A BREEDING REGISTER, you need to have kept records over a number of years/successful pairings, so that the correct pairing can be made,

trouble starts when a relative newcomer to ferret keeping comes along, picks up a related pair, finds that "they are good workers" or "good colours" and then wants to breed "more like them", knowing that they came from joe bloggs down the road, aint good enough,

as most animals and line breeding work along the same sort of lines, and there arnt many books out there covering this aspect of ferret breeding, Id suggest anyone wanting to go down this road, to get themselves a book on breeding exhibition budgerigars, read that and it will start giving you an idea on reccesive and dominant genes, splits, and inbreeding/line breeding, this can be used along the lines of your ferret breeding,

Exactly Stubby its the lack of even basic genetics knowledge , so as most of us dont posess it maybe breeding should be left to the people who do have the knowledge & the advice you gave is brilliant , its all well & good sticking 2 ferrets related or unrelated together & letting them get on with it , its a different matter when it goes wrong though, but if people are serious about breeding they should start with stock with tracable ansestory :thumbs:

Guest craftycarper

it'a a load of old :censored: is what i think, a ferts a fert, all but a few will hunt it's in their genes they have been doing so for hundreds of years. In fact there is really no need to breed them as far as i am concerned. All my ferts by two are from a rescue, five out of the six have worked with no problems whatesover, there is more than enough ferts in rescues so give them a go rather than get a load of inbreds or end up with a litter of ten of which eight or so you are stuck with or end up tapping them on the head. I saw six ferts last year dumped on a local rescue i use all with club foot, they managed to get by for a short while running around ok but all were dead within six months due to the inbreeding in them. Support your local ferret rescue , make your donation and take your pick, at the end of the day they will always take it back.

it'a a load of old :censored: is what i think, a ferts a fert, all but a few will hunt it's in their genes they have been doing so for hundreds of years. In fact there is really no need to breed them as far as i am concerned. All my ferts by two are from a rescue, five out of the six have worked with no problems whatesover, there is more than enough ferts in rescues so give them a go rather than get a load of inbreds or end up with a litter of ten of which eight or so you are stuck with or end up tapping them on the head. I saw six ferts last year dumped on a local rescue i use all with club foot, they managed to get by for a short while running around ok but all were dead within six months due to the inbreeding in them. Support your local ferret rescue , make your donation and take your pick, at the end of the day they will always take it back.

I agree with you in principal but there are very few rescues who will let people take ferrets from them if there going to be worked, if you have found one that will let ferrets go to working homes thats brilliant, a good homes a good home despite the fact the animals going to be worked, but they have there own set of rules & regulations

shows how much you no!!! ...

only messing mate i thought that until i got mine now i want more of them ..

.can some one answer my question please...

if i keep jills from the litter of kits i am going to have can i get my hob vesectomised and use him to take the jills i keep out of season which will end up being his daughter....

cheers

jazz

This has turned out to be a post which many, myself included, can learn alot from. A trip to the library is in order i think. basil.

if i keep jills from the litter of kits i am going to have can i get my hob vesectomised and use him to take the jills i keep out of season which will end up being his daughter....

cheers

jazz

BASIL; its good to see someone who takes the advice and will also then read more to further the knowledge needed.

CRAFTYCARPER; re read what you have wrote, contradics itself, really no need to breed as rescue centres have loads, well where do they get them from :hmm: if everyone stopped breeding ferrets, Im sure the rescue centres wouldent have any either, unless theres grow on tree's

rescue centres as good as they are, are not the best at their job, come on, the club foot lot should have been humanely destroyed when the rescue got them, not kept with the intention of passing them on as pets,

JAZZ; Im sure you have asked this question before, and had it answered already, if you get the HOB the snip, it wont matter weather they are his daughters, mother or granny, you'll just be using him to get jills out of season, ferrets dont have the same attitude as us, about doing their daughters :doh:

cheers

jazz

Must be a wind up surely, although a couple of weeks from now you'll probably be dishing out advice which seems to be the norm on here.

I know I'm not as experienced as some on here, or owned ferrets as long but for what it's worth I've bred just about every incestuous combination possible and never had a deformed kit.

cheers

jazz

Must be a wind up surely, although a couple of weeks from now you'll probably be dishing out advice which seems to be the norm on here.

I know I'm not as experienced as some on here, or owned ferrets as long but for what it's worth I've bred just about every incestuous combination possible and never had a deformed kit.

Maybe you have very sturdy stock,Maybe the deformities are on the inside,Maybe the mummy fred dealt with any Milmans before you got to see em...Do they have ,"Real pretty mouths"or get excited when they hear a pig squeak?.

Edited by comanche

Classic confusion on this thread then!!

My question is i have a brother sister combination in a hutch, when do i need to separate them to prevent him doing the biz.

Does she come into "heat" more than once a year and am i right in thinking she will come to some sort of harm if she is not mated. If thats the case do you have to mate every year or just pretend with a stud whos had the snip.

Sounds familiar!!

:hmm:

Classic confusion on this thread then!!

My question is i have a brother sister combination in a hutch, when do i need to separate them to prevent him doing the biz.

Does she come into "heat" more than once a year and am i right in thinking she will come to some sort of harm if she is not mated. If thats the case do you have to mate every year or just pretend with a stud whos had the snip.

Sounds familiar!!

:hmm:

Both males & females come into season & stay in season in the hobs case untill the days shorten, females really need to be brought out of season, by using one of several methods :thumbs: