one of my quarter bull x lurchers has had problems keeping on weight since he was a pup, his stools are often runny, over the last year iv tryed 5 different foods, he gets regular bones and trimmings from my butcher and a guy up the road that sells venison at farmers markets etc.... so he is getting cereal based food split half and half with the triimings,he seams to be getting worse, so much so i nearly didnt take him bushing yesterday, he is wormed 3 times a year, i know it should be 4 but iv 10 dogs so 3 doses a year it is, all the other dogs are good on all the foods iv used, probably due to extra meat they get.......

You can see its spine and rear hip bones, im trying feeding him 3 times a day instead of one but these to dont seem to help... he is ok in him self, coursing with the other lurchers when out on walks, happy, no pain, so vets on tuesday, but anyone have any ideas??

cheers ali

Edited by alimac

Some dogs are allergic to wheat and other cereals: which means that the stomach can be over sensitive and the dog's system whooshes the food through too fast resulting in runny stools: its more common than you might think but a lot of dogs are just mildly intolerant of cereals.

If I were you I'd get the dog away from manufactured dog food/biscuit/complete food etc completely. Get him completely on to raw meat and bones and minced veg. Google BARF and see what it says: there have been one or two threads on here already about it.

Of course it might not be food at all and be some other internal problem, but changing the feed would be my first thing to try. I have one bitch who is very intololerant to any cereals at all: wheat, soya etc. Some cheaper dog foods also add beet pulp to bulk out their foods which a lot of dogs are also intolerant to.

Guest ripstop
you got a photo ali?

TRY ONE BIG MEAL AT NIGHT BEFORE HE RETIRES TO BED, MAKE SURE PLENTY OF FAT, CUT OUT THE DRY ALTOGETHER, EVEN ADD BEEF DRIPPING AS THE DOG WILL USE THAT FOR HIS ENERGY INSTEAD OF REST OF THE FOOD, WHICH HE WILL USE FOR MUSCLE BUILDING AND A BIT FOR ENERGY

one of my quarter bull x lurchers has had problems keeping on weight since he was a pup, his stools are often runny, over the last year iv tryed 5 different foods, he gets regular bones and trimmings from my butcher and a guy up the road that sells venison at farmers markets etc.... so he is getting cereal based food split half and half with the triimings,he seams to be getting worse, so much so i nearly didnt take him bushing yesterday, he is wormed 3 times a year, i know it should be 4 but iv 10 dogs so 3 doses a year it is, all the other dogs are good on all the foods iv used, probably due to extra meat they get.......

You can see its spine and rear hip bones, im trying feeding him 3 times a day instead of one but these to dont seem to help... he is ok in him self, coursing with the other lurchers when out on walks, happy, no pain, so vets on tuesday, but anyone have any ideas??

cheers ali

Hi, I don't wish to alarm you, and without seeing the dog it's impossible to say, but it sounds like he's ailing for something. As if you treat him the same as your others, there has to be a reason why he cannot keep condition. Your vet should be able to identify whatever may be the problem and sort it out. One tip though, try to stick to a diet, as chopping and changing, even with ther very best of intentions will only compound the problem, in the short term anyway.

Hope you get him sorted.

cheers, il get a picture of him up in a day or so, he gets about half and half , they get tripe, meat and deer plucks which i get from a game dealer who stalks on our ground, so il try cutting out the cereals in his diet and keep him on meats, etc... all the other dogs have been fine on all the dry foods iv tryed, apart from the week you change from one to another.. thanks :victory:

Skycat could be right, if you are adding a complete meal then they contain grain, this isn't normal for the dogs digestive system and many dogs have an allergy to it. Can often lead to problems like colitis which could be possible Let us know what the vet says :thumbs:

cheers ali

had a bull/whippet with the same problem fed two mugs of pasta every morning for carbs which put on weight.gave her steriods 2ml weekly for 5weeks 10mls in total.got steriods from vet chemist.and keep her really warm in their kennel bullcross dogs use a lot of energy trying to keep warm.plus make sure u worm the dog very important.bitch had no problems after that.hope this helps.

Guest coney catcher99
try feeding him shredded chicken and potatoes and veg or bring him to a vet it may be an internal issue a mate of mine had a dog with one testical and he never realised it til a vet spotted it and that was the cause of yhe weight loss

i got the same problem with my bull x hes fine all week got a good back on him butt when he has a good nights lamping he looks a bag of bones hes fed on raw turkey,mince and dr john he also has 1 ball id like to get to the boottom of this is there anythign i can do thanks :thumbs:

as a quater bull he'll be very 'fine' anyway......I have had a similar problem recently with one of bitches who has lost loads of wieght and is pissing back passage.....yet hungry as a hog, and still bright.

I am currently trying to build the bitch back up, and have changed diet.......re wormed, and feeding twice dialy...so we'll see how she gets on......

worst case senario is it could be an underlying symptom of bowel disease or some intestinal parasite..........

hope you get him sorted

I opted to try the sugestion of taking cereals out his diet :yes: , i bought some james wellbeloved dry food which has no cereals or wheat gluton in, feeding this along with the usual cup or two of meat trimmings and he is now shitting once or twice a day rather than 4 or 5 over night, and there almost a pleasure to pick up now :clapper: his weight is slowly getting back on him also, so fingers crossed.. only down fall was the price of the dry food :blink::thumbdown: