How's your season?

Hows everyone getting on? I've got a few canaries out and finally got some mules and full eggs in the nest now after a lot of clears. Lost both my marked goldfinch hens so wrote them off for this year but managed to get a hen which has built up ready to lay.

This time last year I'd bred a lot more. 

On 03/06/2023 at 11:28, gnipper said:

Hows everyone getting on? I've got a few canaries out and finally got some mules and full eggs in the nest now after a lot of clears. Lost both my marked goldfinch hens so wrote them off for this year but managed to get a hen which has built up ready to lay.

This time last year I'd bred a lot more. 

Just starting to go down now most my birds nipper. Nest of five a week old pieds 

20230602_152353.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

It's my first go at breedin Goldies this year and I've got a pair in a flight. The hen has built a lovely nest and is on 4 eggs, I've seen the cock bird feeding her on the nest as she flutters her wings but the tip of his beak still has a little bit of black on it like he's not in condition. Would he have definately mated with her if he's feeding her on the nest or would he just do that if she's on clear eggs and they haven't mated? 

Thanks

Sam

16 hours ago, gnipper said:

If its still black this time of year mate I'd say he's just gonna stay like that and will probably have filled them especially with a goldie hen.

Ok pal thanks, hopefully you're right.

Atb

Sam

Nightmare so far, lost my bully cock so separated the hen on her own in a breeder.

separated the 2 pairs of linnets and got one pair in a flight cage.

other pair of linnets and pair of redpolls in the avairy are just not interested, they got multiple nesting sites, loads of material, good food but nowt!

don’t know why I bother lol

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MrsChamp606 said:

Nightmare so far, lost my bully cock so separated the hen on her own in a breeder.

other pair of linnets and pair of redpolls in the avairy are just not interested, they got multiple nesting sites, loads of material, good food but nowt!

Maybe have a change about in the flight,change the branches and make it a bit different and also check for mice or something disturbing them,like a cat on the flight roof at night as maybe something is putting them off??. The bully hen might pair up with something else if she had the chance and maybe put her in the flight (if it's big enough and it's the male bullies that are normaly the aggresive ones with bullfinches) with the others but keep a eye on her as one of the cock birds in there might take a interest and you might get a hybrid being bred. It is a case of trial and error and it can be heart breaking but we do it (did it) for those winning occasions when it goes right..:victory:..

Well done on those who are producing something and keep the updates coming..

8 hours ago, MrsChamp606 said:

I tried linnets a couple of times and just couldn't get them to nest. The hen was going mad for material and flying around with it but just wouldn't choose one of the many sites I put in. Other lads have them going down in wire cages in the house.

• Thanks 1

Interesting little vid that might help some folks a bit and it also shows that no matter what your set up or how long you been in the fancy if they don't qant to they won't and it isn't always your fault...

• Like 2
On 17/06/2023 at 20:48, fireman said:

Interesting little vid that might help some folks a bit and it also shows that no matter what your set up or how long you been in the fancy if they don't qant to they won't and it isn't always your fault...

He's got alot of knowledge this young lad but way too many birds. He's like a crack head just wants more ? ?. No on a serious note he's a good lad. Call him Oliver Townsend from notts

On 17/06/2023 at 07:55, fireman said:

Maybe have a change about in the flight,change the branches and make it a bit different and also check for mice or something disturbing them,like a cat on the flight roof at night as maybe something is putting them off??. The bully hen might pair up with something else if she had the chance and maybe put her in the flight (if it's big enough and it's the male bullies that are normaly the aggresive ones with bullfinches) with the others but keep a eye on her as one of the cock birds in there might take a interest and you might get a hybrid being bred. It is a case of trial and error and it can be heart breaking but we do it (did it) for those winning occasions when it goes right..:victory:..

Well done on those who are producing something and keep the updates coming..

Cheers mate.

ived put the bully hen back in the flight yesterday… she’s been calling/piping like mad and today there’s a wild bully cock all over the avairy, been back and forth all day, Ived never seen a bully at mine in 10 years so great to see!

IMG_3505.jpeg.d0d528042269cdbef336ab6b6ce9dba2.jpeg

yeah I love having them And love hearing the linnets and redpolls singing, I’ll have a move about in the avairy inside and out and see what happens 

• Like 2
On 25/06/2023 at 23:48, MrsChamp606 said:

Cheers mate.

ived put the bully hen back in the flight yesterday… she’s been calling/piping like mad and today there’s a wild bully cock all over the avairy, been back and forth all day, Ived never seen a bully at mine in 10 years so great to see!

IMG_3505.jpeg.d0d528042269cdbef336ab6b6ce9dba2.jpeg

yeah I love having them And love hearing the linnets and redpolls singing, I’ll have a move about in the avairy inside and out and see what happens 

Brilliant to see the wild bully cock on top of the flight. Last week I had a chaffy cock on top of the concrete post in the garden looking down at one of my young goldy cocks singing. Was four feet away from him. The goldy cock was on top of the garden wheelie bin in a training cage lol. Funny to see him appear with his bonnet up ie feathers on his head puffed up. Little bit of competition in the area he must of thought.  ? ?.  

• Like 2