1 hour ago, jeemes said:

I am seeing a lot of pink Hawthorn flowers this year where its normally white. Any ideas anybody?

Think it's just been a really good year for Hawthorn. The White ones have been stunning around here just going over now but up on Dartmoor they are a bit later and look cracking.

I have seen so lovely Pink ones and one almost Red in a garden that was absolutely covered in blossom. I think this year conditions have just suited them and the stand out more mate.

Cheers Arry

2 hours ago, Arry said:

Pink one in the hedge of the field I was detecting today.

IMG_0054.jpeg.ba87f7f8f2791106d7241ac6a059900e.jpeg

And this Red Hawthorn/Rose Hawthorn is in the Farmers Garden.

IMG_0067.jpeg.3a128b704271423111aac6c96bed5677.jpeg

Cheers Arry

I think the bottom one might be a cultivated one Arry. 'Pauls Scarlet' possibly, and they have had a very good year I agree but that doesnt really explain why the wild ones are flowering pink instead of white.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2023 at 20:27, jeemes said:

It seems a bit of a mystery but who cares anyway, we dont have to know everything do we. Its lovely anyway

IMG_9066.jpg

Isn’t any petal colour controlled by trace elements in the  soil .Quite a few plants can be made to change colour if metals added around them .Just a thought .

2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Isn’t any petal colour controlled by trace elements in the  soil .Quite a few plants can be made to change colour if metals added around them .Just a thought .

Yes I agree it could be, its on a large scale, but its a treat anyway.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2023 at 16:53, foxdropper said:

In Hawthorns there is a recessive gene for pink, some areas there's a fair bit with varying degrees of pink tone, in others it pretty rare, 

• Like 1